• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

SV calf's ribs. Sauce is a "master sauce/stock" (but I use tamari).

2mRCkrA.jpg

With steamed aubergines. The ribs are stunningly rich so a little goes a long way. Lasted 3 different meals.

TWtvrxv.jpg

Then something quite different the next day.

I0oOMgz.jpg

• Like 15

I am going to post this in the corn thread also.   But I made a Corn Soup with Vadouvan spice, garnished with lump crab meat.   I juiced a dozen ears of corn, made corn stock from the cobs, made my own crème fraiche,  then topped with lump crab and paprika oil

This is liquid gold from my Breville juicer

IMG_2970.JPG

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Chicken Wings O Chicken Wings, how I love thee......    I think I mastered a way to cook chicken wings at home, maintaining a great crunch without having to fry them too long.   I made two ways.   1) Is a riff on La Zi Ri (Chongking Chicken Wings) or Mission Chinese Chicken Wings.   These were really good, great flavor, popped with spice and umami, the only thing I will do differently is the sequence I put the spice rub on vs the peppers and green onion and garlic.

2) is just classic Buffalo wings.  Perfect.  I made my own ranch dressing.

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2977.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Sunday dinner, while very good, was not noteworthy but for the fact that I went out and picked the apples off the tree in the back yard, brought them in, washed, sliced and cooked them in butter with a little brown sugar. 

20190818_133150.thumb.jpg.a5b93a1d2736be38c13cbfa1c8a336e7.jpg

Otherwise, peas with tomato relish, potato salad, pork loin.

No complaints were noted.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The last week I feel I've been vying with AnnaN on disgusting food.    She, in hospital, has an alibi.   I just have not regained my kitchen legs and appetite.       So...last couple of meals...

Garden tomatoes, corn and severely unattended rib-eye.     I, usually preferring super rare, enjoyed the crispy bits.

448651218_photo1.thumb.JPG.f22530ac0fb9a16d37b24f43a5db6f26.JPG

87389062_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.1be350421dfb64b8e7763e5e97729753.JPG

Then thinking things might get better tonight congered up black kale and mac/cheese/tomatoes.

2118938379_photo3.thumb.JPG.07c9a6b07439e5c7de433772f3e8a975.JPG

1651354271_photo1-2.thumb.JPG.ab1cc16f629f803b07e1c5015bead82c.JPG

2014729469_photo2-2.thumb.JPG.dd616a1f2abfff1defbd37119d17a7a6.JPG

I couldn't handle the kale but had threes on the mac and cheese,

Tomorrow is another day....

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

eGullet member #80.

Deep fried chicken thigh on the Paragon:

Dinner08192019.png

Jersey Boy tomato from the balcony.  Ranch dressing made from Penzeys' mix not shown.

• Like 14

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Last night was Thai cuisine.  Grilled chicken marinated in fish sauce and a coriander root paste; dipping sauce was sweet, salty and hot; crushed cucumber salad (this was quite sweet with roasted chili and pepper), Thai steamed rice, and then the bean salad.  It was a pounded salad much like green papaya only with green beans.  Garlic, one Thai chili, salt, sugar, dried shrimp, fish sauce and lots of lime juice are all pounded together then the green beans and a couple of 1/2 ripe cherry tomatoes are pounded and mixed in.  It is served with two inch squares of cabbage and peanuts.  It was very, very tasty but holly Hanna it was so hot we could only eat 1/2 of what was on our plates.  It only had one Thai chili which I thought we could tolerate BUT that chili is pounded to release all its fury and not cooked so I think that is why it was so blinking hot.  

The rice is Thai rice for steaming.  It must be soaked for up to ten hours before cooking.  I usually use the pictured basket to steam it for about 25 minutes and this method is a bit hit and miss.  The rice is barely cooked and needs turning during the cooking process....at least that has been my experience.  I decided to try 1/2 in CSO on the tray covered in parchment and sprayed with oil and the other 1/2 in the basket.  Steam setting at 210F for 25 minutes....absolutely perfect!!  The rice in the basket was not done and I decided to put it in the CSO for about 10 minutes and that did the trick.  I am ditching the basket/pot in favour of the CSO.DSC03210.thumb.jpg.cf9c283395622c44714b5eadba31e8ce.jpgDSC03213.thumb.jpg.052d3001baae8e9081fea545d0fdf728.jpgDSC03214.thumb.jpg.1234c48c200e0285bfd91377839342f0.jpg

• Like 13

I had a package of Red Mill Semolina flour in the freezer that I wanted to start using.  On the package is a recipe for pasta.  https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/bobs-basic-pasta-recipe/

I've never made pasta just from semolina flour so I followed it exactly:  semolina flour, whole eggs, oil and a bit of water.  Kneaded for five minutes; rested and then I used my guitar to made "thickish" pasta noodles (rolled to #3 on the KA pasta roller).  Wow, they were delicious.  Nice and toothsome...a welcome change.  Here's the dough on the guitar.

DSC03197.thumb.jpg.e1a75f6ae195c5ecdc268a3dd69a8c70.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

39 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Last night was Thai cuisine.  Grilled chicken marinated in fish sauce and a coriander root paste; dipping sauce was sweet, salty and hot; crushed cucumber salad (this was quite sweet with roasted chili and pepper), Thai steamed rice, and then the bean salad.  It was a pounded salad much like green papaya only with green beans.  Garlic, one Thai chili, salt, sugar, dried shrimp, fish sauce and lots of lime juice are all pounded together then the green beans and a couple of 1/2 ripe cherry tomatoes are pounded and mixed in.  It is served with two inch squares of cabbage and peanuts.  It was very, very tasty but holly Hanna it was so hot we could only eat 1/2 of what was on our plates.  It only had one Thai chili which I thought we could tolerate BUT that chili is pounded to release all its fury and not cooked so I think that is why it was so blinking hot.  

The rice is Thai rice for steaming.  It must be soaked for up to ten hours before cooking.  I usually use the pictured basket to steam it for about 25 minutes and this method is a bit hit and miss.  The rice is barely cooked and needs turning during the cooking process....at least that has been my experience.  I decided to try 1/2 in CSO on the tray covered in parchment and sprayed with oil and the other 1/2 in the basket.  Steam setting at 210F for 25 minutes....absolutely perfect!!  The rice in the basket was not done and I decided to put it in the CSO for about 10 minutes and that did the trick.  I am ditching the basket/pot in favour of the CSO.DSC03210.thumb.jpg.cf9c283395622c44714b5eadba31e8ce.jpgDSC03213.thumb.jpg.052d3001baae8e9081fea545d0fdf728.jpgDSC03214.thumb.jpg.1234c48c200e0285bfd91377839342f0.jpg

Was the rice you made sticky rice (aka glutinous rice)?  I assume so since you mentioned that it had to be soaked for 10 hours...  When I make sticky rice, I steam it (post soak) in a standard steamer insert in a pot for 20 minutes.  I usually don't make that much (just for 2 people) so I can spread it flat in a layer about 1" thick so I don't need to flip it.  After 20 min, I take it off the heat and let it sit covered over the hot water (no longer steaming) for another 10 minutes, and it comes out perfect.  I've always been curious about using one of those Lanna baskets, but I don't make nearly enough sticky rice to make the storage space it requires worthwhile (I live in a small apartment)...

• Like 1

Yes glutinous fromThailand...I threw away bag unfortunately.

I think I had a little over a cup of rice.

I have a lot of storage which why I wanted to try the basket.  The problem with it is the rice is quite thick and obtaining a seal on the top so it steams well.  Mine is going in the next garage sale...it wasn’t very expensive.

• Thanks 1

Scalloped potatoes with ham, by DH request.    Something from his childhood.

photo-1.thumb.JPG.b37c78ba2e51306ef339473ffc799649.JPG

No pic of plate.    DH served and somehow dumped mine upsidedown, resulting in an unphotogenic white and pink blob.    Accompanied by butter braised zucchini, delicious but not much more attractive.

Backyard plum croustade.

photo.thumb.JPG.83020b22cecd52af1d73e0654ee578be.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

Rack of lamb, baked green beans/cherry tomatoes in a Dijon/tarragon sauce and some IP'd little potatoes crisped in the air fryer.  That was a lot of meat but so delicious.  It looks rarer than it was.

DSC03221.thumb.jpg.c7216adcfe5e83bca454cede072aa728.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

20 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I had a package of Red Mill Semolina flour in the freezer that I wanted to start using.  On the package is a recipe for pasta.  https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/bobs-basic-pasta-recipe/

I've never made pasta just from semolina flour so I followed it exactly:  semolina flour, whole eggs, oil and a bit of water.  Kneaded for five minutes; rested and then I used my guitar to made "thickish" pasta noodles (rolled to #3 on the KA pasta roller).  Wow, they were delicious.  Nice and toothsome...a welcome change.  Here's the dough on the guitar.

DSC03197.thumb.jpg.e1a75f6ae195c5ecdc268a3dd69a8c70.jpg

@#$%, @#$%, @#$%!     I had a chitarra for years and never got around to using it.    Gave it to an Italian friend.    Have regretted it ever since.    Sobbing, as I see your beautiful product..

• Sad 6

eGullet member #80.