• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I would say "down at the shore at Acme." ...except I wouldn't say "Acme".

Indeed. Acme pretty much blows, but it's what most of us have locally.

But Wegman's comes in 18 months!

• Like 2

Rigatoni and sausage

007.thumb.jpg.c1cf3d23488b205d7aec30d35f528eab.jpg

Flatiron steak with romesco sauce, roasted cauliflower /parm

002.thumb.jpg.12e8a2dc0d33d207e64deac11bcce4cf.jpg

Smoked pork tenderloin stuffed with cranberry/onion atop bacon jam

008.thumb.jpg.52617d1ffb1c9e70e5261d8cfc2706b6.jpg

Salmon with gouchujiang on Israeli cous cous

010.thumb.jpg.f57212673f83f8997a020be628787cfe.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

9 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Indeed. Acme pretty much blows, but it's what most of us have locally.

But Wegman's comes in 18 months!

Just ask @rotuts.  Mention something about the fish.

I'm still waiting for the promised Whole Foods.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Galette made of puff pastry (Pepperidge Farms) with a topping of grilled, marinated artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, scallions, garlic, onions, cheeses, herbs and Dry Coppa. The recipe was loosely based on this recipe for Herbed Artichoke Gallete from Fine Cooking #160, Aug/Sept 2019. I say "loosely" because I took liberties with the ingredients, being determined to use up some cheeses that would expire soon with or without our help, and because we did not have leeks but had scallions and onions. I also thought there would be a household revolt if I didn't include some meat, so the Coppa went into the mix.

Upper row, left to right: happenings in the skillet; the lot settled on the puff pastry before baking.

Lower row, left to right: the cooked product; the cut galette, just before serving.

20190811_214429.jpg 

I could see the mental groan from The Other Half when he thought this would be some Fancy-Dan vegetarian dinner. He was somewhat assured when he learned there was cured meat in the mix.

He was downright fascinated when he bit into the puff pastry. I have played with this stuff only once before, and it didn't really register on him. Tonight the discussion was largely about how the layers are accomplished. We began with pie dough vs. metallurgy: he wondered about layers of pie dough splayed atop one another and then rolled, and I tried to explain that it was much more like folding and rolling layers: Damascus Steel.  At last we settled into a geologic discussion: I thought it more along the lines of mica or vermiculite; he thought it more like schist. 

We both liked it. I'll be doing it again. Yes, we really do talk this way at home.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 8

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Galette made of puff pastry (Pepperidge Farms) with a topping of grilled, marinated artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, scallions, garlic, onions, cheeses, herbs and Dry Coppa. The recipe was loosely based on this recipe for Herbed Artichoke Gallete from Fine Cooking #160, Aug/Sept 2019. I say "loosely" because I took liberties with the ingredients, being determined to use up some cheeses that would expire soon with or without our help, and because we did not have leeks but had scallions and onions. I also thought there would be a household revolt if I didn't include some meat, so the Coppa went into the mix.

Upper row, left to right: happenings in the skillet; the lot settled on the puff pastry before baking.

Lower row, left to right: the cooked product; the cut galette, just before serving.

20190811_214429.jpg 

I could see the mental groan from The Other Half when he thought this would be some Fancy-Dan vegetarian dinner. He was somewhat assured when he learned there was cured meat in the mix.

He was downright fascinated when he bit into the puff pastry. I have played with this stuff only once before, and it didn't really register on him. Tonight the discussion was largely about how the layers are accomplished. We began with pie dough vs. metallurgy: he wondered about layers of pie dough splayed atop one another and then rolled, and I tried to explain that it was much more like folding and rolling layers: Damascus Steel.  At last we settled into a geologic discussion: I thought it more along the lines of mica or vermiculite; he thought it more like schist. 

We both liked it. I'll be doing it again. Yes, we really do talk this way at home.

Food tectonics?

• Haha 6

Not bluefish.

Dinner08122019.png

Dry fried green beans.  A bit too meat centric for my taste.  Amazon used to sell ground pork a quarter pound at a time.  Now it's half pound at a time.  Why Jeff, oh why?

• Like 7

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

Food tectonics?

No, it's still plate tectonics...just on a different plate. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

As I sat down to dinner one night my (now-) late wife, eyes all a-sparkle, greeted me eagerly with the words "I just read the most fascinating article about fecal coliforms...," secure in the knowledge that a) I would not find this untoward as dinner-table conversation, and that b) I would be equally fascinated.

• Haha 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Saturday night was sous vide chicken leg, squash ravioli with zucchini cubes in an Andouille cream (freezer) sauce and garden string beans in a Miso-butter sauce from the latest Bon Appetite.

Last night was the same chicken and beans with IP garden mashed potatoes smothered in mystery 'chicken sauce' from the freezer and sautéed mushrooms.

Have to say, those chicken legs are mighty tender and juicy.

DSC03181.thumb.jpg.4c01af713fadfc35a1e52a4348299ba4.jpgDSC03186.thumb.jpg.cdeba33bf07556576e1f37de7b9aadd3.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook
correct description (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 4

pulled some chicken legs to get them out of the freezer.  Roasting now with some salt and pepper.  Will glaze with some Sweet Baby Ray's sauce.  The good corn is starting to come in so have both bi-color and white, a mixed tomato salad to pop over some local red leaf lettuce...yellow watermelon for afters

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Another attempt at cooking mostly from the garden.

Had a few zucchinis get away on me so I made vegetarian lasagna with zucc's as the pasta sheeting (salted and grilled) and made a orange garden tomato sauce, accompanied by a ricotta/bocconcini/parm mixture.

Layered with a few slices of mortadella for good measure.

• Like 4

Malaysian Airlines (domestic) lounge, Kuala Lumpur airport, Malaysia:

Laksa ...

0C94EBA0-99F2-42B5-9E4D-617EEA56A68A.thumb.jpeg.71c7496ed009b6dbfdd3994d0f56be8a.jpeg

Nyonya chicken curry ...

1EF51075-2E8E-4183-BF9D-4D26D4954E4F.thumb.jpeg.697e7d057bc77a8b51a38bb06a29d60e.jpeg

Both quite nice - I enjoyed. The chef was so happy when I told him 😊

• Like 15

@robirdstxI just made a couple of turkey thighs.  I boned them, brined them, put some herb/butter paste on the outside and grilled on indirect bbq heat at 275-300f until cooked then cranked the heat to get some good colour on them.  I think turkey thighs are the perfect poultry meat...so flavourful and moist.  I put a little ground rice in my herb butter to help make a nice crust on the meat.

Yours looks like you got the skin nicely rendered.  And those veggies underneath.😍

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 5

Another batch of Blasphemy Ribs, served with white corn on the cob.  Followed by homemade peanut butter-salted caramel dairy-free ice cream.  The ice cream was straight from the freezer and scooped with a regular spoon.

blasphemy-ribs-plated14.jpg.94c5ddabe8b6badc22264cb503273bbd.jpg

blasphemy-ribs-close14.jpg.55d6171d84e22141426b6cb65e9b2a75.jpg

pb-car-salt.jpg.15b9255e17657b205190a72945a9edc4.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Tomatoes, Hellmann's, bib lettuce, coleslaw (eternal coleslaw), cheese:

Dinner08132019.png

The salad tomatoes are of course Mountain Magic, my favorite.  The slicing tomatoes are new to me, Jersey Boy.  First time I have grown them.  Finest slicing tomatoes I have tasted.  Ripped out the plants tonight.

Jersey Boy is a cross of Brandywine and Rutgers.  Said to have the flavor of Brandywine with the color and shape of Rutgers.  Excellent texture too.

Bread not shown.

Oh, wait!

Bread08122019.png

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Sandwich night. Husband had the leftover lobster salad in a pressed sandwich with prosciutto, tomatoes, and saffron aioli added

lobster.thumb.jpg.f2ca51a841a176e01e7ddf83529e9508.jpg

I had a crab cake banh mi.  We brought the crab back from Portland and it was incredibly sweet.

946100562_crabcakebanhmi.thumb.jpg.63802e7e98af420a9ec943f71b1272e5.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Lots of eating out lately.  Long post!

Had an interesting pizza experience the other night.  We were just looking for a new pizza place and one called “Chicago Pizza with a Twist” has recently opened up near us.  Turns out they are a chain we hadn’t ever heard of and the twist is that about half their menu is Indian inspired.  We ordered the samosas:

pizza5.jpg.a53adcda46e4051980fe9ecc6c405f52.jpg

pizza4.jpg.e0b4e77cca6e195f4e4dc85a26dcd5ea.jpg

Mr. Kim and Jessica enjoyed them, but they were way too hot for me.

Butter chicken pizza:

pizza2.jpg.e6d40d3021552b40bd47753d7c8b70be.jpg

Mr. Kim and Jessica thought this was just ok (they love butter chicken).  I, unfortunately, haven’t ever tasted an Indian dish that I really care for, so I didn’t like it at all. 

Deep dish with pepperoni and sausage:

pizza1.jpg.33f549c4a1870aab1f6ab116de4a4d6b.jpg

I am not normally a big fan of deep dish, but this wasn’t as formidable as true deep dish, so I actually liked it.  The “Caesar salad” was a bit of a joke:

pizza3.jpg.219431700b8f2dee8407805b6f70cfee.jpg

Good commercial dressing, powdered cheese and cherry tomatoes (???).  I don’t imagine we’ll bother to go back again.

Mr. Kim gave Jessica a gift certificate to Salt Box Oyster Company for her birthday and she asked me to share dinner with her.  We started with roasted oysters:

sb6.jpg.1294cffef7e290680ee2781632c4132d.jpg

Jessica had a sampling of all the raw oysters they had on offer:

sb5.jpg.41587ffcf2fbf0888bdf59062b602274.jpg

Both the cooked and raw oysters were lovely.  Sweet, briny, perfectly presented.  I originally ordered 3 and when those were gone I asked for 2 more!  Jessica said hers were perfect (I’ve tried, but just can’t do raw oysters).

Jessica ordered the charred octopus with white beans, arugula, shallot, lemon, and EVOO:

sb4.jpg.4426ce633b160345b831b8bf26123d0e.jpg

Unfortunately, this went back.  The octopus was so tough that it was inedible.  They were extremely nice and apologetic about it and insisted on substituting anything she liked at the same price.  She substituted with PEI mussels with a sauce of wine, butter, oregano, and garlic bread:

sb2.jpg.3c70ae5eef4f6a220dc2cc06955d1449.jpg

The mussels were absolutely gorgeous and perfectly cooked.  The sauce needed some punch, but tasted good. 

I chose the crabcake on a brioche rolls and parmesan fries:

sb3.jpg.342223f0341dfae3de42a2b3bc14b0db.jpg

The crabcake was good, not great.  There didn’t seem to be a lot of filler or vegetables, but the meat was kind of demolished – no big chunks. 

On Saturday, we celebrated my MIL’s BD at Brenner Pass.  Jessica started with the Focaccia w/ taleggio, prosciutto, honey, blueberries, and Aleppo and the Malakoff with Gruyere, brioche, cornichons, and Dijon:

dinner6.jpg.3da201d2a2c4230ae009fa290446869a.jpg

dinner4.jpg.887e9c676d45fe6af44ea4b1f6e8ecd2.jpg

dinner5.jpg.9735080118f360551c0214d31ff2ce99.jpg

Both were delicious, but the Malakoff was possibly the very best cheese-based thing I’ve ever put in my mouth.

Mr. Kim started with the tuna carpaccio with porcini mushrooms, sherry, and puffed farro:

20190810_194136.jpg.48d3af431e130f7825db6e46f16f0a85.jpg

Mr. Kim and Jess said this was incredibly good.  I am not a raw fish person, so I had to trust them on that. 

I had the Tinned Seafood Platter with sardines in tomato sauce with aioli, bread, and cornichon:

bd6.jpg.12b74da6036e7a19e934ec333375a6ee.jpg

Just lovely.  I tried to stop eating it since I also ordered a main course, but I kept nibbling until it was almost gone.  I SHOULD have stopped, because my main was huge:

bd4.jpg.89a525b37834ddc6c1303c84102d79e5.jpg

This is a dinner plate.  It was the veal Milanese with smashed fingerlings, red wine jus, and frisee.  I never expected it to be an enormous chop.  Incredibly tender and delicious.  I ate about 1/4 of it.  The potatoes:

bd3.jpg.1f074cd56e9315fd45a061b684ac8886.jpg

The frisee looks like fancy garnish, but eaten with a hunk of veal, it was surprisingly on point.  Mr. Kim had the Fondue Burger for his main course:

20190810_201446.jpg.c930cd13c4c2e2580a587997398362fb.jpg

Ground brisket & short rib, fondue, frisee, speck, cornichon, brioche bun, and fries.

Fantastic, as always.  Jessica had the gnocchi:

dinner.jpg.98ba3e137883759d5d8b917a261dc811.jpg

With Jimmy Nardello peppers, walnut, pecorino, and wild spinach.  Perfectly prepared.  And I might need to find some of those peppers, because I didn’t find them at all offensive. 

For dessert, Mr. Kim had the Cavaillon melon sorbet:

20190810_210122.thumb.jpg.c278d8069f7e73ee2b8a6509a3f22de0.jpg

This was just lovely.  I’ve never had Cavaillon melon, but had heard they are very, very special.  Similar to a cantaloupe, but without the funk – very floral.  I had the Blushing Peach Sundae:

bd7.jpg.a8ceb9ce713db306436a0aa6e074eb39.jpg

Raspberry sherbet, peaches, almond granita, and a crunchy meringue shell.  I loved this.  Especially the peaches and almond granita – what a perfect combination.

Jessica decided to go with cheese to finish:

dinner2.jpg.8787fc4782b64270a5a63efb9d63c31c.jpg

I’m not positive what all this is.  Some cracker things, the fruit was pickled blueberries and currants (which I’d never tasted before – growing red currants is now legal in VA, but still no black ones).  The cheeses were (from the top going clockwise) Beaufort d’Alpage (2 year, Savoie, France), Bleu d’Auvergne (Auvergne, France) and Robiola Rochetta (goat, sheep and cow, Piedmont, Italy).  All very, very good.  

This is one of our favorite restaurants – we’ve taken out of town guests there and sent Steve R. there and it has never disappointed anyone. 

Last night was a rerun of taco night – pan fried tacos:

DSCN9947.JPG.aa50c36237571e82f53de73bc9069527.JPG

Refried black beans:

DSCN9948.JPG.0f10d4a2bfb191f2e838fc33c5978590.JPG

And a salad that I’ve been eating since college:

DSCN9949.JPG.d8b1050bd6d7289fe1097e5414a45042.JPG

On taco nights, my college roommate taught me to scoop up all the stuff that had fallen out of my tacos, including shards of shell, add any toppings not used and add Kraft Zesty Italian dressing.  Since then (40 years ago!) taco night just isn’t taco night without this salad!

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1