• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

50 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

1-10-10 chicken breast with a caper, lemon, garlic, butter dressing. Orzo rather than the planned rice after the rice cooker died. The simplest of green salads.

Cooked in my 38ºC / 100ºF kitchen.

1-10-10?

I made the quick version of puff pastry last night.

675263265_FetaTomatoandKalamataOlivesPuffPastryTartsAugust6th2019.thumb.jpg.05d3ba62e21d1836146fb2c304c618e6.jpg

I used it to make individual tarts with caramelized onions and garlic, tomatoes, (from our garden),

335164155_FetaTomatoandKalamataOlivesPuffPastryTartsAugust6th20191.thumb.jpg.26d9cc642910553d4a436a0c7c99a664.jpg

feta cheese , Kalamata olives, and fresh thyme.

I have a half batch of the dough left over so will probably make a different tart (s) for dinner tonight. Maybe one with eggplant.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 6

23 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That is the most beautiful quick puff pastry that I have ever seen. Would you be willing to share the recipe?

@Tropicalsenior   The recipe for the puff pastry is based on Julia Child's Quick Puff Pastry.   

I use slightly more flour so that I can use a whole pound of butter rather than the 13 oz called for in the original recipe.  And I make it by hand

rather than in the KA mixer with the paddle.   

The recipe is here:  http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2019/08/puff-pastry-savory-tarts.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful Spot Prawns from New Port Beach Area.  

Removed heads --  grilled, and pan fried in garlic, touch of "slap ur Momma" seasoning  sea salt and lemon zest.  Sucking the juice was first course ( not pictured )

Spot head stock:

48476719512_32f388350b_o.thumb.jpg.cb3639cbb046e2064c3209603700b0d8.jpg

The Stock:

48476476746_765444d52d_o.thumb.jpg.8ceef6635a3114e6f1144f05e7a3e6b3.jpg

The grilled Tails :

48476622607_886d31bd0e_o.thumb.jpg.6a624ac9e32a79af3f3f7bae5bc80d5a.jpg

Dish two:

48476475651_275d50971a_o.thumb.jpg.a0434e3400ea3ac8ba6dfc14a7e776ec.jpg

The finish course:

Fregula cooked in head stock, submarine tomatoes, champagne tomatoes, asparagus Basil and two fatty prawns

48476874422_5937e82b8c_o.thumb.jpg.69e319ccb33c8aea5c913e875f35750c.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 8

Its good to have Morels

Some friends were saying how good Costco rotisserie chicken was so I went to get some.  While I was there I had to get some ribeye cap steaks too and that is what we had tonight. One whole one is more than either of us care to eat so I cut one in half but afterward, we were still hungry.  Charlie reheated a leftover hamburger and I had some ice cream.  Charlie has stopped eating salads so I wanted to be sure to cook some vegetables.  I thought I got a potato when I was at the store but when I got home there was none in the bag and not on the sales receipt so I made rice. Then seasoned the vegetables with teriyaki sauce, soy sauce and garlic.

20190807_170408.jpg

20190807_170734.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

I'm playing with my new Cuisinart Combo Convection Steam Oven and realizing / recognizing that it won't replace my air fryer...and that I need a separate toaster. My DH quipped this morning, "I wonder how many of your eGullet friends have run themselves out of counter space?" 

Tonight it was CSO-fried fish and air-fryer-fried mini-hash rounds, along with microwaved asparagus and toaster-toasted toast. A lot of appliances were in use, at staggered times to keep the goddesses of the breaker box happy.

20190807_213126.jpg

This was a new brand of prepared fish for us. I cooked it in the CSO, 450F for 18 minutes, flipping once through as recommended. In my opinion it still wasn't as crisp as it should be, so I put a couple of pieces in the air fryer and crisped them up more. The color was better and crisper (see upper right picture in the collage for comparison) but the fish flesh was pretty much reduced to smithereens, or maybe flinders, or even cotton filaments. The mini-hash rounds were perfect. The asparagus was nicely cooked but inadequate in quantity.

Next, I may haul out the deep fryer I picked up for a song at a garage sale and compare its results to these. The point, of course, is to use less oil...but if the results are unsatisfying, why bother?

• Like 10

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Cacio e pepe. I have come a long way, learning to use the concentrated pasta water and to rough grate the Romano cheese, to avoid the dreaded clumpage. Even having the black pepper ground in advance, makes a difference. This effort was much more to my liking than previous ones.

HC

IMG_0811.thumb.JPG.09fd73d6f06569102432d6c8ce755ee9.JPGIMG_0812.thumb.JPG.9d97e0bafede9c4b2668dcc43cf92f8e.JPGIMG_0814.thumb.JPG.ae82e49845cf598df0f8a1d660872151.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I'm playing with my new Cuisinart Combo Convection Steam Oven and realizing / recognizing that it won't replace my air fryer...and that I need a separate toaster. My DH quipped this morning, "I wonder how many of your eGullet friends have run themselves out of counter space?" 

Tonight it was CSO-fried fish and air-fryer-fried mini-hash rounds, along with microwaved asparagus and toaster-toasted toast. A lot of appliances were in use, at staggered times to keep the goddesses of the breaker box happy.

20190807_213126.jpg

This was a new brand of prepared fish for us. I cooked it in the CSO, 450F for 18 minutes, flipping once through as recommended. In my opinion it still wasn't as crisp as it should be, so I put a couple of pieces in the air fryer and crisped them up more. The color was better and crisper (see upper right picture in the collage for comparison) but the fish flesh was pretty much reduced to smithereens, or maybe flinders, or even cotton filaments. The mini-hash rounds were perfect. The asparagus was nicely cooked but inadequate in quantity.

Next, I may haul out the deep fryer I picked up for a song at a garage sale and compare its results to these. The point, of course, is to use less oil...but if the results are unsatisfying, why bother?

Did you try Steam Bake?  I gave up and gave away my deep fryer long ago.  If I want deep fried food I try a restaurant.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

45 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Did you try Steam Bake?  I gave up and gave away my deep fryer long ago.  If I want deep fried food I try a restaurant.

I didn't try Steam Bake this time around. That was a disaster last week when I tried it on the mini-hash-rounds. I understand that steam bake is the counterintuitive favorite amongst this crowd, but I was afraid to try it so quickly following on the last disaster.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Two minute pizza:

Pizza08082019.png

I know that with my home oven I shall never meet the Neapolitan holy grail of a 90 second pizza.  But this is tonight's two minute blackened bottom pizza baked on my inch thick block of aluminum.  I doubt even a Neapolitan oven can transfer much more energy to the dough than a scorching inch thick block of aluminum.

No leftovers but hiccups.  Tomatoes from my balcony.

• Like 14

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Soccer Night, so quick and easy. I suck at these. Mine are always dense enough to kill a duck but my son dosen't know another way. And my husbands at work so its fine. 

Fritters/Bricks. Corn Beef Fritters. With lashings of Tommy K for the child. 😂

20190807_183323.thumb.jpg.cc7891aeff9cd7cbd4260d7a1ac32198.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

41 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Soccer Night, so quick and easy. I suck at these. Mine are always dense enough to kill a duck but my son dosen't know another way. And my husbands at work so its fine. 

Fritters/Bricks. Corn Beef Fritters. With lashings of Tommy K for the child. 😂

20190807_183323.thumb.jpg.cc7891aeff9cd7cbd4260d7a1ac32198.jpg

Tommy K?

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

I ran out of counter space until I moved everything into the basement except my coffee maker and Breville toaster oven. I use both of those often enough to keep them out.  The rest of the stuff is getting dusty downstairs.  I know lots of people love the steam oven but mine might end up in a yard sale someday. PS my KA mixer is out too but it isn't on a "counter". It's got its own island stand .

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3