• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Saturday was jerk pork, beans with fried shallots and scalloped potatoes.

Last night was leftover scalloped potatoes, stuffed tomatoes, carrots with pistachio butter and chicken legs from Dinner Changing the Game done in the CSO for 30 minutes on steam bake at 425F...I had trouble getting the skin crisp so had to Broil them for awhile which of course over cooked them.😖

DSC03171.thumb.jpg.06a329841cb94947e9c8fe628ae7d263.jpgDSC03174.thumb.jpg.1c5c49fffd4c87be95807ee281bb1e77.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

OH, GREAT.   

Just got a text from John he is heading home in an hour or so.

John NEVER heads home from trips before 7 or so ...

now I have to figure out something to feed him ( I have been living off of salads, sandwiches, sautéed veg and pickled veg … none of which he likes to eat).  Shrimp and pasta, pasta and shrimp.   I figured I wouldn't have to do anything until tomorrow...….

Well, while finishing up the shrimp fried rice I was making I got a text that started...

"To make a long story short...."

Uh, no.  You are Irish and are required to make a short story long and convoluted....

Shrimp fried rice in the fridge using Jet Tila's "gold on ivory" way of making it.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We are having a bit of a heat wave here on the Island.   So it probably wasn't a good day to bake or to make a stew for dinner.

942728200_ChickenStewandButtermilkDumplingsAugust5th20191.thumb.jpg.ce283daee8515eb625866e113319e009.jpg

BUT, I had a craving for chicken stew and dumplings

615969595_RhubarbPieAugust5th20193.thumb.jpg.9baa9a6103fa8e761a337c425989b272.jpg

and the rhubarb needed pulling so I decided to bake a pie and make the stew. 

805924515_RhubarbPieAugust5th20195.thumb.jpg.0071b6a973bb3fedfd9d1431577c6041.jpg

Moe had his pie topped with ice cream.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

1 minute ago, scubadoo97 said:

You sure know how to feed  a craving Ann_T.    Looks fabulous 

She sure knows how to feed anything..non craving......craving.......semi maybe wanting an M&M....a bread crumb....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I recently purchased a Cuisinart Combo Steam Convection Oven (CSO for short) and have been putting it through its paces. Tonight I tested a recipe from the booklet that had come with the CSO for brussels sprouts with pancetta. After those were done I put some crab cakes (from our grocery store deli) in under convection baking. Meanwhile, sweet corn on the cob cooked in the microwave and bread toasted in the toaster. That's when we learned that the microwave, the toaster and the CSO are all on the same circuit. The breaker panel says otherwise. We'll have to be more careful about balancing the loads in the future.

20190805_220720.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 8/4/2019 at 9:50 PM, gfweb said:

I never liked corn as a kid either. Probably the canned and frozen stuff my mother relied on...barf. 

And i swear the corn on the cob must’ve been horse corn. Gummy and not sweet. 

Now the only corn stuff off my list are the vile Fritos and popcorn (which smells like feet)

Corn was always a treat as a kid.  Eaten off the cob in a bathing suit in the yard 

not a big fan of canned but frozen is ok by me.  Not like fresh where to kennels are plump and bursting with juice and flavor but in many cooking applications more than adequate 

• Like 3

@Smithy – looks like the CSO got the crust on those crabcakes nice and crispy!  At what temperature and how long did they cook?

Mr. Kim requested waffles for dinner last night.  No time for yeasted ones (our favorite), so I just did basic waffles, but I put some pearl sugar in the batter so we could pretend they were liege waffles:

DSCN9931.JPG.8f9a712e5bc61095c773ee97510f3394.JPG 

A friend had brought us some lovely little strawberries from a farmer’s market:

DSCN9929.JPG.290a830385095d1d820bdaedbc743ef6.JPG

Served with ham, sage sausage, and fruit:

DSCN9932.JPG.88c6c6636288bfc729075df4cf45db7d.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Sunday family dinner I baked a couple loaves of bread

bread.thumb.jpg.518fb0670d1438f94b87442424d2321e.jpg

I turned one into grilled bruschetta topped with homemade ricotta.  The other went in to the freezer because two expected attendees dropped out last minute.

Antipasto platter

antipasto.thumb.jpg.722b4a85c30bae416124450a6decf682.jpg

and grilled eggplant involtini stuffed with pesto and fresh cheese

eggplant.thumb.jpg.6d67fddcfbf566b7d51bc45053096ac1.jpg

Last night we had a creamy corn and bacon pasta made with the local corn which is finally in and so very sweet

1405466890_cornpasta2.thumb.jpg.3943daee8b53ecde771af6058d6a7a2e.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 6

Avocado with Valentina sauce

1470364754_photo1.thumb.JPG.11252bf0dc488ebb2c91d18e8bc6f355.JPG

Followed by DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME pork goulash with potato

492260181_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.ba7c3b108b01ef54e10dab4519350045.JPG

Added a splash of Spanish smoked paprika to a previously enjoyed recipe.     Not a great idea.    And as I told DH, it's not very good, and there's a lot of it.....

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

eGullet member #80.

Right!   I used to fly with a bottle of Cholula hot sauce     I found it was the best response to airline food.

One very memorable flight:  DH and I always used to book aisle and window, frequently leaving the middle seat empty.     One night, a tall, lanky young guy folded himself into the seat between us.    Come meal time, DH ordered a Bloody Mary.   I got out my trusty bottle of Cholula.  As I shook my bottle before opening it, DH somehow fumbled his drink, upending it in his lap, while uncapped my sauce which volcanoed onto my plate and tray.    The poor guy between recoiled into the smallest possible space, realizsing that he was on the flight from Hell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

eGullet member #80.

I had some Sweet Baby Ray BBQ sauce in the fridge (not sure why), so I opted to use it up on chicken legs, cooked on the grill. We were both a little surprised at how much we enjoyed it.

HC

IMG_0795.thumb.JPG.f2e56628dd20831afd93e86cd8c90993.JPGIMG_0797.thumb.JPG.109c0cb4f63c956470e72cef26abb4ce.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13

8 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Smithy – looks like the CSO got the crust on those crabcakes nice and crispy!  At what temperature and how long did they cook?

I'm afraid the crabcakes were of the "as long as it takes" variety. I think, but did not record to be sure, that I cooked them at 400F convection bake for about 20 minutes. I watched carefully, in between trips downstairs to reset the breakers, until the crust seemed right. I also flipped them at least twice...maybe 3 times...to ensure good browning. It was certainly no more than 30 minutes all told.

We thought afterward that setting the crab cakes on a rack might have eliminated the need for flipping. That will be another test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

We thought afterward that setting the crab cakes on a rack might have eliminated the need for flipping. That will be another test.

That will depend on how firm the cakes are and how firm they stay during baking.  I've had some things droop right through the grids!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

That will depend on how firm the cakes are and how firm they stay during baking.  I've had some things droop right through the grids!

Good point. I tried some potato hash-brown thingies (somewhere between the size of 'tater tots' and fast-food-joint hash rounds) last week and made the mistake of trying them on steam/convection bake. They wilted, and turned into balls of mush.

A couple of dinners:

First is actually leftovers from the night before (forgot to take pics) of El Pollo Loco style chicken, wood-fired, served with cauliflower and broccoli in butter, made in the MW and the IP respectively.

epl8.jpg.6341ac82bed0e679d2065471be4151be.jpg

And tri-tip steak, cooked SV then seared, served with corn.  First really decent ear of the summer.

tt-steak-corn2.jpg.efa0bbf8e816f429383dc8cd040b55fe.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs