• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

I didn't cook any of this, but last night's dinner with good friends simply has to be shared. Their daughter, an inveterate baker, outdid herself with a shepherd's pie with a crust worthy of being included in the Sister Pie cookbook.

20190804_145123.jpg

20190804_152920.jpg

Their garden contributed beautiful broccoli that was perfectly steamed and served with a vinaigrette to be added at will.

20190803_193309.jpg

There was also a small pitcher of gravy to be added to the pie at will.  We contributed (the first bottle of) wine. Here's dinner:

20190803_193757.jpg

It was all finished with a lovely rhubarb crisp, coffee, and liqueurs of our choice.

20190803_204123.jpg

Holy smokes, what a meal. The parents are excellent cooks in their own right, but it's a marvel they let the daughter move away!  Not shown: the sparkling conversation. It was a wonderful evening.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

46 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

What did you put on the fish before cooking?

Nothing but Lawry's salt and pepper.  Finished with a squeeze of fresh lemon.

Our friend sprays his grill with non-stick spray.  I put a tiny bit of olive oil on the skin/scales too.  They say that if you get the grill hot enough, then it won't stick, but that's hard to do with fish IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I didn't cook any of this, but last night's dinner with good friends simply has to be shared. Their daughter, an inveterate baker, outdid herself with a shepherd's pie with a crust worthy of being included in the Sister Pie cookbook. imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822cc

20190804_152920.jpg

Indeed beautiful!   I'm not familiar with this format Shepherd's Pie.   Can you tell us a little more about the filling?   And the crust?  

eGullet member #80.

28 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Indeed beautiful!   I'm not familiar with this format Shepherd's Pie.   Can you tell us a little more about the filling?   And the crust?  

I just called the cook. She says it's basically her own invention, somewhere between a conventional shepherd's pie and a pasty. It's a double-crust meat pie with mashed potatoes at the bottom (to soak up juices) instead of as a topping, with some celery, carrots, mushrooms and ground beef that had been par-cooked before going into the pan, and of course the potatoes were cooked before being mashed.

She says she says the crust is a "really basic" pate brisee, although she didn't put salt in it because she knew the meat dish would already be salty. To accommodate the electic oven she was using, she put the pie on the bottom rack and shielded the pie on top until the pie was mostly cooked, if I understood her correctly. She gave an entertaining description of how she gets better results making the pastry by hand with a pastry blender and swooshing the mixture around rather than using an electronic device such as a food processor; she credits America's Test Kitchen with the technique.

Feel free to ask more questions...she's lurking, and will either correct me privately or join the group. Of course I'm encouraging the latter option. :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

13 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Feel free to ask more questions...she's lurking, and will either correct me privately or join the group. Of course I'm encouraging the latter option. :) 

Many thanks and bouquets to the cook!    Ingenious tweakings lead to a superb product.    And, YES, she should be here.    

Thanks again, Smithy.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

Lasagna

006.thumb.jpg.7d0cd8001096aac815d9d021ef5088fd.jpg

Flat iron steak 130  1 hour

036.thumb.jpg.5c92a256998eb0f278434a55b1f39376.jpg

Pork tenderloin piccata

004.thumb.jpg.b40fa53276aaa8b4eb8864efc31f8ea3.jpg

Bratwurst with  dijon cole slaw and apple juice braised cabbage

009.thumb.jpg.44f35b27ea8ec22446477e855786b98e.jpg

Strip steak with lingonberry/dijon  sauce

007.thumb.jpg.e235953fa5772d56f1fd24f217e313a9.jpg

Cheeseburger with charred corn salad

0055.thumb.jpg.3ae9c5592f9c564143865a96b5445087.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I just called the cook. She says it's basically her own invention, somewhere between a conventional shepherd's pie and a pasty. It's a double-crust meat pie with mashed potatoes at the bottom (to soak up juices) instead of as a topping, with some celery, carrots, mushrooms and ground beef that had been par-cooked before going into the pan, and of course the potatoes were cooked before being mashed.

She says she says the crust is a "really basic" pate brisee, although she didn't put salt in it because she knew the meat dish would already be salty. To accommodate the electic oven she was using, she put the pie on the bottom rack and shielded the pie on top until the pie was mostly cooked, if I understood her correctly. She gave an entertaining description of how she gets better results making the pastry by hand with a pastry blender and swooshing the mixture around rather than using an electronic device such as a food processor; she credits America's Test Kitchen with the technique.

Yes, I vote she joins the group.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Cheeseburger with charred corn salad

0055.thumb.jpg.3ae9c5592f9c564143865a96b5445087.jpg

I'll pardon you the charred corn salad.  Others may not be as forgiving as I am.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'll pardon you the charred corn salad.  Others may not be as forgiving as I am.

Whats the objection to corn,basil, onion, tomato and thyme?

Pretty tasty, it is

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Bratwurst with  dijon cole slaw and apple juice braised cabbage

@gfweb, all those dishes look fabulously tasty. Do you take reservations? 🤣

I'm looking at red cabbage for an upcoming dinner party. May I have your recipe, please?

Edited to add: I agree as to the divine-ness of corn.

Edited by TdeV (log)
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@gfweb, all those dishes look fabulously tasty. Do you take reservations? 🤣

I'm looking at red cabbage for an upcoming dinner party. May I have your recipe, please?

Edited to add: I agree as to the divine-ness of corn.

Thanks!

Apologies for the coming imprescision ...

Shredded small red cabbage..pick out the cabbage with too much white stuff. 

one small yellow onion julienned

apple juice

allspice

red wine vinegar

sautee onion till clarified

add cabbage, and enough apple juice to go halfway up the cabbage mass

add a bit of allspice...1/8th tsp?

1 splash vinegar....1 tbsp?

1/4 tsp salt

Simmer covered for 30 min...take a look....if it is only partially purple do another 15 min then cook uncovered till most liquid is gone. 

Taste and add sugar and salt as needed. 

It keeps well. You could do it a day ahead and not lose much. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Whats the objection to corn,basil, onion, tomato and thyme?

Pretty tasty, it is

Seriously, I enjoy corn when it's on the cob.  Off the cob I have a strong aversion.  Possibly due to too much canned corn in my youth.  Last week for the first time in my life I tried pozole.  This was with some trepidation but I loved it.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seriously, I enjoy corn when it's on the cob.  Off the cob I have a strong aversion.  Possibly due to too much canned corn in my youth.  Last week for the first time in my life I tried pozole.  This was with some trepidation but I loved it.

I never liked corn as a kid either. Probably the canned and frozen stuff my mother relied on...barf. 

And i swear the corn on the cob must’ve been horse corn. Gummy and not sweet. 

Now the only corn stuff off my list are the vile Fritos and popcorn (which smells like feet)

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

Oh My, the things parents tell kids to get them to eat.  Mine told me that eating eggs would make hair grow on my chest.  Thank God I realized , that as a girl, I didn't really want a hairy chest.   In spite of all of that, I love eggs and my chest is hairless. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I recall asking my mother what little Johnny down the street had died from - "because he didn't wash his hands before dinner!". Years later Johnny's mom was my patient when I was a resident. Turns out it was leukemia.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Oh, the stories we're told as children -- indeed! I don't remember whether I was told that eating the bread crust on my sandwiches would curl my hair or put hair on my chest -- maybe both, at different times. Either way, it didn't come to pass.

We made up for last night's excesses with a Caprese salad (how I love summer tomatoes!) and fresh bread. I posted about the bread here. In this iteration it was sliced, slathered with garlic-infused oil and butter, and then broiled and toasted in the CSO. Frankly, neither of us could taste the garlic but it was good otherwise. The bread made a good crisp sop for the salad juices.

20190804_214501.jpg

20190804_214616.jpg

• Like 13

19 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I recall asking my mother what little Johnny down the street had died from - "because he didn't wash his hands before dinner!". Years later Johnny's mom was my patient when I was a resident. Turns out it was leukemia.

I laughed and then I didn't.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I never liked corn as a kid either. Probably the canned and frozen stuff my mother relied on...barf. 

And i swear the corn on the cob must’ve been horse corn. Gummy and not sweet. 

Now the only corn stuff off my list are the vile Fritos and popcorn (which smells like feet)

Frozen?  Frozen?  At least you got frozen.  What I remember best (or one might say worst) is "succotash":  canned corn and lima beans.  I doubt the resulting dish bore much relation to what the Indians would eat (and my father was Cherokee) unless they were very, very hungry.  Some of course add peppers and tomatoes to succotash, which were even less familiar to the eastern tribes than to the Europeans.

They say one of the four locations on earth where agriculture developed was the eastern United States.  I can't imagine that poor primordial first farmer had canned succotash in mind.

"Smells like feet" reminds me of something I was reading earlier this evening about pozole.  Turns out for pozole pork is not at all traditional.  Quoting Wikipedia:

According to research by the Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia (National Institute of Anthropology and History) and the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, on these special occasions, the meat used in the pozole was human. After the prisoners were killed by having their hearts torn out in a ritual sacrifice, the rest of the body was chopped and cooked with maize, and the resulting meal was shared among the whole community as an act of religious communion. After the Conquest, when cannibalism was banned, pork became the staple meat as it "tasted very similar" [to human flesh], according to Bernardino de Sahagún.[9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozole

And now I have a whole bag of Rancho Gordo hominy to use up.  Anyone want to come for dinner?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Between @gfweb's flat iron steak and strip steak and @robirdstx's flank steak, I find myself in need of a hunk o’ beef. 

When I was four years old, my uncle showed me that it said “English peas” on the can of peas and told me that the Beatles ate them.  I would check the can to make sure they were “English” and, if so, I would choke them down.  I still hate peas.

@JoNorvelleWalker – I adore corn and lima beans.  I can manage to eat canned corn if I have to, but canned limas are horrible.  They are bitter and funky and taste like canned peas to me.

Saw an interesting taco method on America’s Test Kitchen the other night.  You toss the ground beef with baking soda mixed with a little water (this is supposed to keep the meat juicy).  Then sauté onions, add chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and salt:

DSCN9919.JPG.9ef020026f679121a97551b8bcd9090c.JPG

Add tomato paste and the meat:

DSCN9920.JPG.29a18dd7b507934f85ed81aa5971017b.JPG

This is my favorite utensil to use when cooking ground meat.  And, really, the only wooden utensil I find useful at all.  I almost always prefer a silicone one.  Wooden spoons just seem to scrape one little area – I find them pointless.  But the wide flat edge of this one is perfect for scraping the bottom of the pan and breaking up the meat. 

Done:

DSCN9921.JPG.8c3698ae8aa60c20681631ce48900fb3.JPG

Then you dump some shredded cheese in and stir it until it melts (this make things more cohesive):

DSCN9922.JPG.27b9f8c9d5b8e111acb1d119678ee0dd.JPG

You brush the corn tortillas with oil and bake them to soften, then put 2 tablespoons of the beef mixture in and fold over:

DSCN9923.JPG.8b5fbfa1ba82410a9555b79f45132e8e.JPG

They are then fried in a little oil on both sides:

DSCN9924.JPG.6e9a3d35bd8830a67122bed74b137ad6.JPG

Done:

DSCN9928.JPG.928ea4429a83cdba25e648c1e7db2c3c.JPG

Go-withs:

DSCN9925.JPG.8f1ee9d839c98f02fda66190c7012422.JPG

Refried black beans:

DSCN9926.JPG.67f3f10d07b81adef39522e3a69303bf.JPG

Just canned – fixed up with cumin and salsa.  And “Mexican Style” Rice A Roni:

DSCN9927.JPG.8e2617fc763bfd3e0b6e609a660c6dc2.JPG

In this case the Roni is orzo. 

We liked these a lot.  Nice and crisp, but not fall-apart crunchy.  @CantCookStillTry - you might want to give these a try (PM me if you want the recipe - I haven't posted it on my website yet).  You can make them up to the point of frying them and refrigerate overnight.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Spanish Rice with Chorizo and Sage from the Readers Digest 30 minute cookbook. One of the very first things I used to make when I tookover cooking duties after School. Back then Chorizo was a little exy for us so we used Hotdogs, this time I had Chorizo to use up and something made me remember this dish 🤷‍♀️

Not gonna lie, Nostalgia prefers Hotdogs. 

20190805_183302.thumb.jpg.c2be535e6a2391e1507a8e01e75b32ea.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

Early dinner or late lunch with a friend in a Muslim restaurant offering food from China's far west.

700581057_dapanji2019.thumb.jpg.b8d4a66897fa57d5e7e3d84dfc5f7df6.jpg

新疆大盘鸡 (xīn jiāng dà pán jī)
Xinjiang Big Plate Chicken

891539105_tigersalad2019.thumb.jpg.34e03db3e607c65292eb13818fb13e32.jpg

炝汁老虎采 (qiàng zhī lǎo hǔ cǎi)
Dressed Tiger Salad

809759488_Turkishpeppershrimp.thumb.jpg.c0fbbcf0c5b8dc7c81be2e4fceec4ec6.jpg

土耳其奶油胡椒虾 (tǔ ěr qí nǎi yóu hú jiāo xiā)

Turkish Butter Peppered Shrimp

686539264_candiedsweetpotato.thumb.jpg.30beb44b37c4c49f3286f8efaa300643.jpg

拨丝红薯 (bō sī hóng shǔ)

Candied Sweet Potato

1888323908_20190805_1501001.thumb.jpg.901ffbc0c5f0862b7c7afb4abe3949a4.jpg

A  beer for me

1156133458_20190805_1501451.thumb.jpg.69ccbae8300fbbac8d6576fd27be1e85.jpg

And a glass of Sea Buckthorn Juice for my companion.

with a warning

abduction.thumb.jpg.09e511c46d32bcdb3972ac0e1f921a7b.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10
  • Haha 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto