• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

There was once a small neighborhood Italian restaurant in Memphis called Little Italy, with red checked tablecloths and Chianti in water glasses. It's where I learned to love linguine in white clam sauce. It's just not the same anywhere else.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

More fish from Ronnie's trip.  This time it's Red Fish.  Our friend recommended his method for cooking it on the grill.  They leave the skin (scales?) on the back for this reason I'm guessing?

IMG_6653.jpg.f684715147e0331a4c3cc99437495a5f.jpg

IMG_6655.JPG.3d12aa95984690af028a09b280a989c2.JPG

IMG_6652.jpg.1032515ebbe9759744d4cd2ebb5bf5df.jpg

To with--all from the garden--fried okra,  new potatoes, tomatoes and Jaymes' squash

IMG_6656.JPG.a60bbdc459522dbb16360d52759c8a3b.JPG

We obviously loved the fish :)

IMG_6657.jpg.27e031c95e619f399590887429fca90b.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

They leave the skin (scales?) on the back for this reason I'm guessing?

Were the other fish fully fileted? In Minnesota we have to leave a small patch of skin on when transporting the fish, so the species can be identified.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

38 minutes ago, Shelby said:

More fish from Ronnie's trip.  This time it's Red Fish.  Our friend recommended his method for cooking it on the grill.  They leave the skin (scales?) on the back for this reason I'm guessing?

Is it red drum or red snapper?

Probably descaled it but the skin was left on, like we do with flounder....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

39 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Were the other fish fully fileted? In Minnesota we have to leave a small patch of skin on when transporting the fish, so the species can be identified.

Yes, others fully filleted.  Interesting that you have to leave skin on!  We don't have to do that here.

30 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

Im missing a few things 

as usual

how did the fish get back from the trip

"" fresh ""

and re: the scales :  on the fish you grilled ?

is so, did you enjoy grilled scales ?

just asking

Our friend brought a soft sided Yeti cooler that he let us borrow to bring the fish home.  They airline made Ronnie check it and amazingly, after changing planes, it still arrived with his last flight just fine.

12 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Is it red drum or red snapper?

Probably descaled it but the skin was left on, like we do with flounder....

Red Drum--after a google search.

I dunno, it was pretty hard like scales.  I love fish skin.  Couldn't have eaten this.

My son is having friends over tomorrow. His birthday was yesterday but friends are coming tomorrow. I smoked a brisket today, at least i started it and will finish it tomorrow along with some ribs and hamburgers.  The brisket flat was smoked to 195 and needs finishing tomorrow.  The point went to 204 and was done nicely. I cut it off and will finish it as burnt ends.  The strangest thing happened with my thermometer. After three hours, it read 193. There was no way that could be accurate. I switched probes and it still read 193.  I switched to another thermometer and it read 130.  I figured it was time to toss the first one and get a new one but when I took it inside and tested it again, it worked just fine.  Both thermometers are in the picture. The faulty one is the round one.The pictures are of the brisket about half way  through. I forgot to take one of it later. I cut some of the flat for our dinner tonight and it needs some more time in the smoker. I will put it back in tomorrow with the ribs. 

20190802_131441.jpg

20190802_131653.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

20 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

My son is having friends over tomorrow. His birthday was yesterday but friends are coming tomorrow. I smoked a brisket today, at least i started it and will finish it tomorrow along with some ribs and hamburgers.  The brisket flat was smoked to 195 and needs finishing tomorrow.  The point went to 204 and was done nicely. I cut it off and will finish it as burnt ends.  The strangest thing happened with my thermometer. After three hours, it read 193. There was no way that could be accurate. I switched probes and it still read 193.  I switched to another thermometer and it read 130.  I figured it was time to toss the first one and get a new one but when I took it inside and tested it again, it worked just fine.  Both thermometers are in the picture. The faulty one is the round one.The pictures are of the brisket about half way  through. I forgot to take one of it later. I cut some of the flat for our dinner tonight and it needs some more time in the smoker. I will put it back in tomorrow with the ribs. 

20190802_131441.jpg

20190802_131653.jpg

Wishing your son, Charlie, a wonderful day with friends and his dad BUT more importantly a healthy and peaceful next year....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

30 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

20190802_131441.jpg

20190802_131653.jpg

If you have only two thermometers how do you ever know what time it is?

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

41 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Wishing your son, Charlie, a wonderful day with friends and his dad BUT more importantly a healthy and peaceful next year....

Ditto.

You are an excellent father :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2019 at 9:44 PM, Shelby said:

I've known many people that love eating raw potatoes.   Peeled of course.  With salt.  

I've always loved raw potatoes, since I was a small child. To this day if I'm slicing or dicing potatoes I'll grab a piece and eat it raw. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I FINALLY (finally!) got the shrimp, the corn and the time to make Maggie's Shrimp & Corn w/ Basil, blog post courtesy of @Kim Shook, with credit to @Maggie the Cat and Epicurious.

Well.  It took more time to type the sentence above than to pull together this bit of summer delight. I'm not a big fan of corn on the cob (heresy, I know) but good sweet corn OFF the cob is another story. I've never thought to pair basil and sweet corn before, but I won't forget it again. I thought those ingredients and the scallions and butter complimented the shrimp beautifully. My darling thought the shrimp got lost in the shuffle, but he thought the vegetables and seasonings played very well together. 

20190802_212306.jpg

Thanks for pointing to that recipe again, Kim, some 5 or 10 pages back...and thanks for keeping it around on your blog!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Must be issues with the probe/wire.

I switched to a brand new probe and is still read wrong both in the meat and out.  Out of the meat with a previously unused probe,  it read the outside ambient temperature  as 120. Today was in the mid 70's. Ten minutes later with the old probe it started reading correctly. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I FINALLY (finally!) got the shrimp, the corn and the time to make Maggie's Shrimp & Corn w/ Basil, blog post courtesy of @Kim Shook, with credit to @Maggie the Cat and Epicurious.

Well.  It took more time to type the sentence above than to pull together this bit of summer delight. I'm not a big fan of corn on the cob (heresy, I know) but good sweet corn OFF the cob is another story. I've never thought to pair basil and sweet corn before, but I won't forget it again. I thought those ingredients and the scallions and butter complimented the shrimp beautifully. My darling thought the shrimp got lost in the shuffle, but he thought the vegetables and seasonings played very well together. 

20190802_212306.jpg

Thanks for pointing to that recipe again, Kim, some 5 or 10 pages back...and thanks for keeping it around on your blog!

So glad that you enjoyed it!  It really is our official summer dish!

• Like 2