• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

There's something about searing chicken thighs, sans coating, and getting a super crisp exterior (flesh included) that I love.

Finally got the seasoning down on this carbon steel pan and its producing some nice results with very little required fat at the start of cooking (I used 1/2 tbsp of bacon fat today).

Coupled with some cherry tomatoes from the garden, a creamy dill pickle potato salad and sauteed zucchini flowers - a nice (fairly) light summer meal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I've known many people that love eating raw potatoes.   Peeled of course.  With salt.  

Henry the wonder dog won’t eat a raw potato

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I've known many people that love eating raw potatoes.   Peeled of course.  With salt.  

I used to get in trouble for eating raw french fries.  My mom would peel and slice the potatoes and put them in the fridge in a bowl of water before leaving for work in the morning.  I'd start sneaking one or two when I got home from school.  By the time she came home, many times there would be only a few left.  I still nibble on them when I'm slicing raw potatoes.  Crisp and moist and starchy.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

raw?

In Chinese cuisine, particularly at dumpling houses (perhaps it is a Northern thing) you will often find shredded potatoes (raw) with some type of salty dressing on them.  Often quite tasty.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, TicTac said:

In Chinese cuisine, particularly at dumpling houses (perhaps it is a Northern thing) you will often find shredded potatoes (raw) with some type of salty dressing on them.  Often quite tasty.

A few northern chinese places in NYC do the shredded potato.  Usually dressed with salt, some vinegar and sesame oil; sometimes some julienne of some kind of chili.  Quite tasty - I get them from time to time.  But I don't know if the potato is raw, or slightly blanched.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

A few northern chinese places in NYC do the shredded potato.  Usually dressed with salt, some vinegar and sesame oil; sometimes some julienne of some kind of chili.  Quite tasty - I get them from time to time.  But I don't know if the potato is raw, or slightly blanched.

The one place I get it from occasionally does it with green onions, msg (my guess) and some chili.  I do not believe it is blanched. 

They so a similar preparation with thinly sliced tofu skins - that prep has chili oil as well.

• Like 2

Last night was grilled lamb shoulder chop, grilled onion, ribbons of zucchini with bacon between topped with a green sauce from the other night, grilled potatoes, fresh tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden.  Delicious.  The lamb was so tender and not too fatty. 

DSC03153.thumb.jpg.14b50f5c2fb9fde0d79744686fd54cb2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

@Shelby

It's a bit of mish/mash.

The original recipe was this:

Grilled Squash Ribbons and Prosciutto with Mint Dressing
By MARCIA KIESEL September 2011...who that is I have no idea.  This recipe I filed away in my MacGourmet Recipe program under zucchini.  Every year I look at all those zucchini recipes and make a few.

1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1/4 cup chopped mint

2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing

Salt and freshly ground pepper

2 medium zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise on a mandoline

2 medium yellow squash, very thinly sliced lengthwise on a mandoline

6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto

Step 1    
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a small bowl, combine the lime zest and juice with the mint, garlic and the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Step 2    
Alternately thread the zucchini, yellow squash and prosciutto onto 4 pairs of 12-inch bamboo skewers. Lightly brush the vegetables and prosciutto with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.

Step 3    
Grill the skewers over high heat until the zucchini and yellow squash are lightly charred, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Serve with the mint dressing on the side.
  Notes

Variation This dish is also excellent as a room-temperature pasta salad. Boil the pasta of your choice until al dente, then toss with olive oil and let cool slightly. Meanwhile, coarsely chop the grilled zucchini, yellow squash and prosciutto and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the pasta and mint dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

_________'

I did not have prosciutto but I had bacon.  I microwaved the bacon for about 3 minutes until 2/3's of the way cooked.  I threaded two zucchini strips on the skewer and then placed about a 3/4 inch piece of bacon and continued as such until the skewers were full.  I sprayed them with oil and grilled.

I had this green sauce left over from a previous dinner which was another one from MacGourmet....Peruvian Chicken.

Here's the green sauce which makes quite a bit.  Next time I will half it (still have some....more on grilled veggies tonight):

3 jalapeño chili peppers, seeded if desired (I use about half the seeds for a medium-hot sauce), and roughly chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise, best quality such as Hellmann's
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, from one lime
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Combine all of the ingredients except the olive oil in a blender or food processor and blend into a smooth sauce. With the motor running, open lid and slowly drizzle in olive oil. It will seem very runny at this point but, don't worry, it will thicken up as it sits. Transfer the sauce to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@Shelby

It's a bit of mish/mash.

The original recipe was this:

Grilled Squash Ribbons and Prosciutto with Mint Dressing
By MARCIA KIESEL September 2011...who that is I have no idea.  This recipe I filed away in my MacGourmet Recipe program under zucchini.  Every year I look at all those zucchini recipes and make a few.

1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1/4 cup chopped mint

2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing

Salt and freshly ground pepper

2 medium zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise on a mandoline

2 medium yellow squash, very thinly sliced lengthwise on a mandoline

6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto

Step 1    
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a small bowl, combine the lime zest and juice with the mint, garlic and the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Step 2    
Alternately thread the zucchini, yellow squash and prosciutto onto 4 pairs of 12-inch bamboo skewers. Lightly brush the vegetables and prosciutto with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.

Step 3    
Grill the skewers over high heat until the zucchini and yellow squash are lightly charred, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Serve with the mint dressing on the side.
  Notes

Variation This dish is also excellent as a room-temperature pasta salad. Boil the pasta of your choice until al dente, then toss with olive oil and let cool slightly. Meanwhile, coarsely chop the grilled zucchini, yellow squash and prosciutto and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the pasta and mint dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

_________'

I did not have prosciutto but I had bacon.  I microwaved the bacon for about 3 minutes until 2/3's of the way cooked.  I threaded two zucchini strips on the skewer and then placed about a 3/4 inch piece of bacon and continued as such until the skewers were full.  I sprayed them with oil and grilled.

I had this green sauce left over from a previous dinner which was another one from MacGourmet....Peruvian Chicken.

Here's the green sauce which makes quite a bit.  Next time I will half it (still have some....more on grilled veggies tonight):

3 jalapeño chili peppers, seeded if desired (I use about half the seeds for a medium-hot sauce), and roughly chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise, best quality such as Hellmann's
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, from one lime
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Combine all of the ingredients except the olive oil in a blender or food processor and blend into a smooth sauce. With the motor running, open lid and slowly drizzle in olive oil. It will seem very runny at this point but, don't worry, it will thicken up as it sits. Transfer the sauce to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. 

I need this in my life.  Thank you!

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

My issue with most ciabatta for burgers is that the crust is usually too tough and that in the process of trying to bite through it, everything just squishes out.

Try an English Muffin...but, of course, the size of the burger could be an issue unless you make it yourself.  I like the texture of the muffin....not too soft yet easily munched on.

Another dinner post, sans pictures (apologies).  If only there were a 'Post to EG' button from my ipad!

Room temp broccoli soup (garden pesto added part way through).

95% garden grown dish of - Zucchini noodles, served with a sauce of various colors of cherry tomatoes, young garlic, bunching onions and topped with a roasted cashew pesto (a recent find, which I believe might even be superior to the pine-nut version).

Cashews, olive oil, and cheeses - the other 5%!

• Like 3

@TicTac Your description had me reaching for a tissue to catch the drool on my chin!!!!  I love cashews so will give this a go with the basil if the forking plants would grow....it's almost August...terrible year for the garden out here.

• Sad 2

BLT.  Because I had age appropriate past due colonoscopy on Monday.  Which meant low fiber food for a week and absolutely degrading liquid diet on Sunday.  So no tomatoes since forever.  During the peak season to boot.  Now I eat tomatoes ad lib.  Like every day.  

3ABD81B2-8525-4E1D-A4DD-884CCC14E0FE.thumb.jpeg.c79d57e32d523d7c28e894e7df6aa2ce.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, KennethT said:

one place I can think of here in Morris County, NJ too

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

7 hours ago, TicTac said:

土豆丝  tǔ dòu sī

I always order this if I see on a menu, but I've never seen them use raw potato! Although served cold, and they do retain their bite, the slivers are briefly stir-fried. Several recipes.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Another dinner post, sans pictures (apologies).  If only there were a 'Post to EG' button from my ipad!

Room temp broccoli soup (garden pesto added part way through).

95% garden grown dish of - Zucchini noodles, served with a sauce of various colors of cherry tomatoes, young garlic, bunching onions and topped with a roasted cashew pesto (a recent find, which I believe might even be superior to the pine-nut version).

Cashews, olive oil, and cheeses - the other 5%!

I'd be quite surprised if there was not a way to post a picture to eGullet from the iPad.  And if there's not there almost certainly will be when iPad OS comes out this fall.

Meanwhile you owe us the rest of the 1000 words.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@TicTac Your description had me reaching for a tissue to catch the drool on my chin!!!!  I love cashews so will give this a go with the basil if the forking plants would grow....it's almost August...terrible year for the garden out here.

If I could give 2 'reactions' I would - thank you for the kind words and sorry to hear about the environmental challenges.  I recall you mentioning the same thing in the gardening thread.  Here in Ontario it is the opposite, it has been too hot for basil plants and they are bolting sooner than usual.  I usually try to time them so they are peaking during tomato season, but that did not go as planned this year!

• Like 1