• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Market dinner.   Started out very nutritious, then got "fried".

So-called, and never tried before, "wild spinach"

551038019_photo3.thumb.JPG.ea4c9aef9db55002235cb5af286aefd9.JPG

Starter of cheese stuffed squash blossoms with avocado salsa

684428468_photo4.thumb.JPG.1e9be8e759dfc66246fa7e9f1d9578d8.JPG

Above spinach, really good, fried green tomatoes with tartar sauce, famous eG shrimp/corn/tarragon

834924778_photo5.thumb.JPG.740c9a7921072eed61f2d592e3b5f4bd.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

eGullet member #80.

I posted on the "Garden Forum" a little while ago about growing giant Royal Corona beans in my garden.

I harvested some yesterday for dinner.

dcarch

1416778209_RoyalCoronaBeans4.thumb.jpg.d1fd2e05e7cf544262065250d028adf8.jpg

Black beans for scale to show size of Corona beans

378539409_RoyalCoronaBeans3.thumb.JPG.cc8c92ec6e531203ef5adc47ac4657b8.JPG

Royal Corona beans and pork, with purple daicon and Swiss chard, all from my garden

588934296_PorkwithRoyalCoronaBeans.thumb.JPG.9d66b853c904f63f55667d159c36d9fa.JPG

1013109026_RoyalCoronaBeans2.thumb.jpg.d5b5072f542e09574bbf12235aa1537c.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

So what do you think of the behemoth beans? Flavor? Texture? Would you/will you grow 'em again?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Framable art photos.    Absolutely lovely

Thank you, Thank you!

45 minutes ago, chromedome said:

So what do you think of the behemoth beans? Flavor? Texture? Would you/will you grow 'em again?

There are many others here who have cooked and tasted these huge beans, I think they will all agree that the creamy and buttery flavor and texture are above average in the legume world.

Of course  I will grow them again. They are not cheap beans to buy. Growing the beans yourself is great because they are not dried out if you pick them fresh. Much faster for cooking them tender. Definitely no soaking required.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I put a pot of my favourite chili on to simmer before leaving for work on Saturday. 

Also cooked a pot of beans in the Breville Pressure Cooker. A combination of small red chili beans, pintos and black beans. The recipe I use is a Tex Mex chili recipe which doesn't call for beans. But I love beans in chili so I always add them.

After I got home from work all I had do was reheat the chili and make the tortillas. My favourite side with a bowl of chili.

1039685345_ChiliJuly27th20191.thumb.jpg.65a9dbdbeb8f92ca6b6a8394c0f2ddfb.jpg

My favourite side with a bowl of chili.

Chili topped with cheese, homemade salsa and a little chopped red onion.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

14 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Mojo rotisserie chicken with the first corn of the season. Our little town has a farmers market on Sundays and I stopped  there today.

OOH that chicken has my mouth watering.

Corn is just starting to come out here.   Tomatoes, Garlic and Corn , my favourite time of year. 

• Like 4

I am ALWAYS hungry for mashed potatoes and gravy.    D-I.L. had told me none of the three children liked potato.   None would touch it in any form.     I served them mashed potato with roast chicken gravy and we soon ran out of both potato AND gravy.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

eGullet member #80.

21 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Mashed, Fried, Baked, Steamed....and even raw!...oh potatoes, how I love thee - let me count the ways!

raw?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A few days ago:

Salmon sous vide at 115F. I put it in the pan to give it a crisp side but it didn't want to cooperate. Tasted good though.

IMG_1824_cropped.jpg.aafbf6bcee4d26fd3988aedca190c6e5.jpg

ElaineA's Slow Roasted Cherry Tomatoes mixed with freshly roasted cherry tomatoes.

IMG_1826_cropped.jpg.c1a55fbd551f0d7340625ba131be335b.jpg

(Both uploaded images look fine in preview of post, but rotated when pasted)

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

@robirdstx Wow, just wow.  What great looking burgers.  Did you made your own meat or did you get it fresh ground because it's pretty 'rare' if not.  Just a stickler for safety.

I am not a burger fan but about four times a year I'll make a burger.  Of course I like the patty but the 'bread component' looks interesting.  I don't like commercial hamburger buns but the homemade variety  is good.  If not available I like to use Heston's recommendation of an English Muffin.  And, I have to say, after the homemade bun, the muffin is my favourite.  About a 4 or 4.5 oz burger is perfect for me.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@robirdstx Wow, just wow.  What great looking burgers.  Did you made your own meat or did you get it fresh ground because it's pretty 'rare' if not.  Just a stickler for safety.

Thank you! I did not grind the meat myself, but the burger looks pinker in the photo than it really was. It was more medium than medium rare.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, KennethT said:

My issue with most ciabatta for burgers is that the crust is usually too tough and that in the process of trying to bite through it, everything just squishes out.

We use the Marketside ciabatta rolls sold at Wal-mart. I cover the rolls while they are toasting, which allows them to steam a bit and to be soft, except on the toasted side. I don’t like trying to bite through tough ones either.

• Like 3

It was in the 90's today, so I chose to keep the cooking for dinner early and to a minimum. First, I made chicken soup with some of the bones and meat from last nights mojo chicken, then chicken salad with the rest. A can of cannellini beans, some lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt, pepper, with the immersion blender, made a pretty nice hummus. Nachos, for dipping, rounded that out. Some garlic, basil, good olive oil, sea salt, tomatoes and some good toast, made for the bruschetta I was after. Add to that a Caprese salad and dinner was pretty much covered.

HC

IMG_0753.thumb.JPG.87104a854919c7412abc0e6beb75f2b7.JPGIMG_0754.thumb.JPG.5376103f19f43eeb9775b02ca7d71c2a.JPGIMG_0756.thumb.JPG.5524b032d86ba255d580890c507c6e36.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 5

21 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I've known many people that love eating raw potatoes.   Peeled of course.  With salt.  

My mother, my husband.   Not so much large quantities but snatching pieces while you're prepping potatoes for something else.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.