• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

I bought sausages in Russian store and heated them up in CSO with left over noodles rescued from the office.  I cut sausages in half to allow for faster heating.  They greeted me enthusiastically when I opened CSO door.  Many a joke went through my head...  l still have two more sausages and may boil them (no cutting in half).  They tasted great BTW.

8BDAAF45-E3E7-4645-B501-104DE0E8FE07.thumb.jpeg.d07280a318fb3ca209afdd8aac32d182.jpeg

226B6660-0646-4C05-A1E8-E37C14A1937D.thumb.jpeg.6b56ebe8dd4e2333ced9ca0114652c53.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

@chefmd

"Russians boil the heck out of the sausages "

I was going to say :  to soften the Sawdust , but thought better than to post this

Smile , Smile Smile !

money-mouth.gif.79754cac166309487e99df6a3287e314.gif

another point :  im sure you know this

but will post anyway : like the Crescent shape !  tasty that way ?

light scoring w a sharp knife along the seam where you plan to cut them in half,

but perpendicular to the cut , several shallow cuts along the sausage

prevents the contraction of the casing

might not be as tasty

but better fit in a non-crescent bun

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A trip home from New Haven, this afternoon, brought us past Old Saybrook, and that means Johnny Ad's, or what the late Holly Moore called "Best fried clams I've found along the New England Coast". It has been quite a while since we have done fried clams, so we were overdue.

Johnny Ad's is not on the water, sports little glamour,  and from all outward appearances, is a pretty ordinary looking place.

P7220444.thumb.JPG.625f834462d6c786d1dd4e702d2752a3.JPGP7220445.thumb.JPG.bc5152806547342cd5416cd9428265f3.JPG490692797_untitled(10).thumb.png.b7f2732b3af4b15c1a09f0c9a0baf6d4.png

But, we were there for the fried clams, and they pretty much speak for themselves and did not disappoint!.

HC

7513826_untitled(11).thumb.png.268dd0ace4bfc43d57d287e1b9b79bc7.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

5 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

A trip home from New Haven, this afternoon, brought us past Old Saybrook, and that means Johnny Ad's, or what the late Holly Moore called "Best fried clams I've found along the New England Coast". It has been quite a while since we have done fried clams, so we were overdue.

Johnny Ad's is not on the water, sports little glamour,  and from all outward appearances, is a pretty ordinary looking place.

P7220444.thumb.JPG.625f834462d6c786d1dd4e702d2752a3.JPGP7220445.thumb.JPG.bc5152806547342cd5416cd9428265f3.JPG490692797_untitled(10).thumb.png.b7f2732b3af4b15c1a09f0c9a0baf6d4.png

But, we were there for the fried clams, and they pretty much speak for themselves and did not disappoint!.

HC

Have not had fried clams in your area for far too long.   Can taste and enjoy every briny clam and crunchy coating.   You are a lucky guy.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

The end of a long stressful day..    Couldn't care less about dinner, but needs must.

Plum with goat cheese, chili/lemon zest oil, dill

1795107069_photo1.thumb.JPG.748f5600ef1cc52a4c7003328b02eb6c.JPG

Ground beef puck with so-soothing packaged mac and cheese, and greens with "kiss" of garlic.

16521311_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.40dffc454e727700981fd3f7980df555.JPG

1731493134_photo3.thumb.JPG.8fcf7d4f8ca02c3b3bca4c65559d7d1b.JPG

1435789606_photo4.thumb.JPG.beeaa20426029fceda068e3208a5afd1.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

Thanks.Okanaganook.   Late Friday afternoon I was served with a subpoena to appear a witness in a break in case...tomorrow, our granddaughter's  birthday when I was supposed to cook all day with her for an extended dinner that evening.   I really had nothing to add to the police report, certainly not as witness for the defense, but while promised both communication and transportation, heard nothing since being served.    No answers to my phone calls or emails.    Finally just after 6pm tonight, they called to say that I am not required tomorrow, maybe later in the week, but NOT TOMORROW!         Tomorrow, we eat better!         I made the layers for her cake today.    Tomorrow, we decorate.    Life is good.

• Like 8

eGullet member #80.

I must say, @Margaret Pilgrim, that with a day like that and no appetite we'd probably have been eating tuna sandwiches, or cheese and crackers, or simply popcorn. I applaud your initiative.

The "organic" mac and cheese gives me pause. Does "REAL organic cheese" suggest that it's made entirely from milk from cows that haven't been fed antibiotics or growth hormones? Does "REAL" mean as opposed to synthetic? I suspect runaway marketing. Nonetheless the real question is whether it was satisfying, and your post indicates that it was. :) 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

I must say, @Margaret Pilgrim, that with a day like that and no appetite we'd probably have been eating tuna sandwiches, or cheese and crackers, or simply popcorn. I applaud your initiative.

The "organic" mac and cheese gives me pause. Does "REAL organic cheese" suggest that it's made entirely from milk from cows that haven't been fed antibiotics or growth hormones? Does "REAL" mean as opposed to synthetic? I suspect runaway marketing. Nonetheless the real question is whether it was satisfying, and your post indicates that it was.  

i understand and respect your questioning.   I would do the same with an unknown brand but Horizon has a pretty good rep in our area.      It sure beats the heck out of Kraft!    :)

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

3 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

i understand and respect your questioning.   I would do the same with an unknown brand but Horizon has a pretty good rep in our area.      It sure beats the heck out of Kraft!    :)

Come to think of it, Kraft would qualify as synthetic, wouldn't it? :D In fact, we have Horizon up here and I agree that it's a respected brand. I haven't noticed their mac 'n' cheese, but it's probably in our stores.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The "organic" mac and cheese gives me pause. Does "REAL organic cheese" suggest that it's made entirely from milk from cows that haven't been fed antibiotics or growth hormones? Does "REAL" mean as opposed to synthetic? I suspect runaway marketing. Nonetheless the real question is whether it was satisfying, and your post indicates that it was. :) 

"REAL" could pertain to the trademark:

http://realseal.com/real-vs-imitation

@Margaret Pilgrim does the REAL seal appear anywhere on the packaging?  From reading labels I've noticed Horizon goes in for additives.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

"REAL" could pertain to the trademark:

http://realseal.com/real-vs-imitation

@Margaret Pilgrim does the REAL seal appear anywhere on the packaging?  From reading labels I've noticed Horizon goes in for additives.

To be honest, this product is on hand because our D-I-L chooses organic products for their household and therefore for our grandkids when visiting.    So I have in our cupboard many products that I personally have not personally vetted.   It works for her, it works for us.   And regardless of absolute probity, they are most often better than run of the mill popular brands.     I just work here.   

• Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

HC

Holly Moore.  Great friend of road food. Greatly missed. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, HungryChris said:

HC

The corresponding place here in New Brunswick is Ossie's Lunch, also founded in 1957 and also unprepossessing. Ossie's is purely takeout, though, so you eat in your car or at picnic tables outside (depending on the mosquito population at a given moment).

Unfortunately the new highway barges along parallel to the old road, so you have to know it's there or you'll miss it. If any eGers' plans for the summer include crossing the border at Calais, PM me and I'll let you know which turnoff to watch for.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 hours ago, Toliver said:

@liamsaunt, more info, please, about how you made these? I would think the moisture in the zucchini would make the attempt to make them crisp nigh near impossible. Thanks!

I used this recipe: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/272777/baked-parmesan-zucchini-curly-fries/

with one change.  I already had the oil going in the deep fryer for the chicken, so after baking the fries for a while and not seeing the crunch I wanted, I dumped them in the fryer basket and stuck them in the oil for a few minutes.  Definitely not as healthy as the original recipe, but they were terrifically crunchy.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, rotuts said:

@chefmd

"Russians boil the heck out of the sausages "

I was going to say :  to soften the Sawdust , but thought better than to post this

Smile , Smile Smile !

money-mouth.gif.79754cac166309487e99df6a3287e314.gif

another point :  im sure you know this

but will post anyway : like the Crescent shape !  tasty that way ?

light scoring w a sharp knife along the seam where you plan to cut them in half,

but perpendicular to the cut , several shallow cuts along the sausage

prevents the contraction of the casing

might not be as tasty

but better fit in a non-crescent bun

We usually heat through in small amount of simmering water, let water boil away, then brown in residual or if necessary added fat.    Have not noticed naturally cased sausages to curl to any extent.     We have several Russian shops within a half mile as well as a Polish sausage "factory"     Should give them more custom.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

I must say < Im a fried clam ( w bellies of course  money-mouth.gif.e3d88fbc710249744cf74282f898ce67.gif ) fanatic.

back in the day , Ive explored all the ' clam shacks ' in Essex MA , Ipswich Land.

I took my own tartar sauce , and once I found a fantastic place , made of cinderblocks

I was able to take an amusing Chablis , ice cold , in with me , in a paper bag

and enjoy that out of little Dixie Cups.    no on minded.

just to put this in perspective , the Chablis was 2.99.  and from France 

not Premier , not Grand Cru  but delicious.

Id love to try JA's   they look perfect to me.

congratulations

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I must say < Im a fried clam ( w bellies of course  money-mouth.gif.e3d88fbc710249744cf74282f898ce67.gif ) fanatic.

back in the day , Ive explored all the ' clam shacks ' in Essex MA , Ipswich Land.

I took my own tartar sauce , and once I found a fantastic place , made of cinderblocks

I was able to take an amusing Chablis , ice cold , in with me , in a paper bag

and enjoy that out of little Dixie Cups.    no on minded.

just to put this in perspective , the Chablis was 2.99.  and from France 

not Premier , not Grand Cru  but delicious.

Id love to try JA's   they look perfect to me.

congratulations

Our go-out-of-our-way-for was prosaic Woodman's.     Always a happy place for us, even in a memorable thunderstorm.     Clam bellies make the gloomiest day a good one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Our go-out-of-our-way-for was prosaic Woodman's.     Always a happy place for us, even in a memorable thunderstorm.     Clam bellies make the gloomiest day a good one.

One of the first road trips Deb and I made together was to Woodman's. Subsequent trips to the Clam Box and Essex Seafood followed. A good fried WBC is a good reason to travel.

HC

• Delicious 1

Did up a batch of Deep Run Roots Assorted Squash Salad.  Good stuff.

IMG_6600.JPG.9aef0b8415453a25aa91c8658d0107df.JPG

Used the Melty Cheese Calculator to make the best mac and cheese ever

IMG_6599.jpg.b5073c3e9a049d42f4f014f93b7e4fc9.jpg

Was going to fry catfish to go with all of this, but life got in the way and we ended up eating some leftover smoked chicken.

IMG_6601.JPG.8d9839b6b32e136585f5d7cfe77afdcd.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2