• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:
I just made empanadas for dinner later .  Since I have not been able to locate frozen discos, I have to make them from scratch, so when I saw the tools shown I thought they would be a lot faster to make them. I should be old and wise enough to realize that there is always a catch, but I am just older.  The catch is that the press makes the pieces so small that i had to made a lot more and it takes a lot longer. A lot longer. Making one was easy but in order to use up the dough, I had to make close to 60 instead of a little over a dozen. The press seems to be intended more for dim sum sized dumplings instead of Puerto Rican ones. 

20190718_132126.jpg

20190718_133351.jpg

20190718_134531.jpg

You need a Hunky Bill big pierogi maker - 2 sheets of dough - lots at the same time. Come in different sizes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

You need a Hunky Bill big pierogi maker - 2 sheets of dough - lots at the same time. Come in different sizes. 

Ol' Bill had, of all things, an English fish & chips place in Vancouver when I lived there in the 80s. It was called the Dover Arms, I think. I saw him there a couple of times, and was quite amused at how well the caricature on the perogie-maker label captured his features and personality.

I remember the fish as being pretty good, and it was certainly a hangout for the expat Brit crowd at the time (my then-GF was part of that crew...she was South American mestizo by blood, and very exotic looking, but a cockney by upbringing).

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Ol' Bill had, of all things, an English fish & chips place in Vancouver when I lived there in the 80s. It was called the Dover Arms, I think. I saw him there a couple of times, and was quite amused at how well the caricature on the perogie-maker label captured his features and personality.

I remember the fish as being pretty good, and it was certainly a hangout for the expat Brit crowd at the time (my then-GF was part of that crew...she was South American mestizo by blood, and very exotic looking, but a cockney by upbringing).

I was a cab driver in Van back then. It was on Denman I think. He was larger than life! 

• Like 1

Grilled endives with gribiche.    Well, it looked like this while I took the pic, but I couldn't resist and surrounded three of the six before dinner was served.    Sorry about that but this one of my all time favorites.

490642281_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.30b614460ebd38b21f60149c5bc0aa16.JPG

Followed by brown butter shrimp spaghetti.  

643204287_photo3.thumb.JPG.b7cdc26123ca85c0fd5aa76b9ccac3d0.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

Scapes, scapes, scapes ----- no, not garlic scapes.

Hosta scapes.

I posted my early spring dinner treat, hosta shoots. Now it's time for hosta scapes.

As I had mentioned, hosta is a common vegetable in some other countries, Japan, for instance. Hosta is more than just edible, it's delicious. Around this time of the year, hostas send blossom stems, just like garlic scapes. These hosta scapes are very tender, mild in flavor.

dcarch

Skate and hosta scapes

1038524010_Hostascapes.thumb.JPG.7da9d9d1627d0b18d8b97990e13d4b00.JPG463170589_skatehostascapesa.thumb.jpg.82c89cf6e700483ffd55710656906135.jpg337534168_skatehostascapes.thumb.JPG.d4a116d8db7e98af84afcedad54958cb.JPG

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, demiglace said:

I was a cab driver in Van back then. It was on Denman I think. He was larger than life! 

Yup.

The other expat hangout then was, IIRC, the Horse and Carriage. Lots of good memories, there. I even got to see Long John Baldry do a few songs, on his birthday (the party was in the upstairs, but he and Sybil Thrasher did a few numbers on the main stage by popular demand).

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

Yup.

The other expat hangout then was, IIRC, the Horse and Carriage. Lots of good memories, there. I even got to see Long John Baldry do a few songs, on his birthday (the party was in the upstairs, but he and Sybil Thrasher did a few numbers on the main stage by popular demand).

The wonderful old Horse and Carriage Inn on Alberni St. The only place you could drink on a Sunday night (with a 25 cent choose plate). With Jim the owner who sang like Neil Diamond and Tony Duffy the Irish singing bartender. Fun days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, demiglace said:

The wonderful old Horse and Carriage Inn on Alberni St. The only place you could drink on a Sunday night (with a 25 cent choose plate). With Jim the owner who sang like Neil Diamond and Tony Duffy the Irish singing bartender. Fun days.

That would be the one, all right. They definitely played fast and loose with the liquor licensing laws...as long as you had one order of fries on the table, they considered that you'd met the requirement to order food.

As I recall, they eventually got into trouble that way and ultimately had to re-license as a pub. Didn't they change their name eventually to The Brit, as well?

(An aside: During my time there, some local wag wrote a Letter to the Editor in one of the local papers, which ran something like: "I'm sick and tired of immigrants coming here and not adapting to Canadian life. They band together in their own little cliques, refusing to take up a place in Canadian society and culture, and always going on and on about how things were so much better at home. I refer, of course, to the British.")

• Haha 4

Some recent dinners.

Hot day, cold dinner:  Shrimp, avocado, carrots, celery and red bell pepper.

shrimp-veg3.jpg.d12102c281e2b7013533d7f3ed431858.jpg

Shake N Bake style chicken, made in the BSOA with homemade coating, served with roasted cauliflower that I made alongside the chicken.

chick-caul.jpg.dd2755234c8befcf793a631ae2f33e79.jpg

Simple stir-fry with char siu and green beans:

char-siu-gb.jpg.35e81ac9d99aead960d9627b4bf4b1ea.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 10

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

18 hours ago, dcarch said:

Hosta scapes

dcarch, your food is always gorgeous. I reposted a link to your delightful post to my gardening group and was asked if any hosta variety was edible, or are some better than others?

Purslane, picked from my garden where it insists on growing wherever there's some water. Made into a salad with tomatoes and sirene cheese. Dressed with EVOO and lemon, a hint of sugar and garlic.

Warak dawali (dolma), filled with rice, tomato, lemon and spices. With labneh and olive oil. The best is made with with young grape vine leaves, which are tender and flavorful.

Arayes, here made vegetarian with mushrooms, tofu, toasted walnuts, egg to stick things together, tomato, browned onion and baharat.

IMG_20190628_212639.thumb.jpg.a911ed2498edce6aff0fb3e818fafd76.jpgIMG_20190628_213025_1.thumb.jpg.433991d2fbb12e49b8dabd7f784bc6e9.jpgIMG_20190628_213532.thumb.jpg.8332860d708a3fd9a577a7c2ad88b446.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Air Fryer pork tenderloin Parmesan (Breville SOA) using the pressed panko method mentioned on the air fryer thread.

0051.thumb.jpg.992b86ae91196801496e539070b8d562.jpg

Duck confit tossed in reduced balsamic and risotto

012.thumb.jpg.3b02a9715fbcc22a2310aa5ad3ccf3eb.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:23 PM, BonVivant said:

Wolfed down the last kilo of asparagus today.

9BYSpEx.jpg

Bits on the sides are salmon roe and crab claw meat.

C5J2sFo.jpg

Potatoes with quark.

4mjcTiZ.jpg

Beautiful creature...

VH5AVF8.jpg

3J9nOdo.jpg

Until I die, my goal is to cook octopus that looks that succulent.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

dcarch, your food is always gorgeous. I reposted a link to your delightful post to my gardening group and was asked if any hosta variety was edible, or are some better than others?

Thank you!

As I have heard, all varieties of hostas are edible, and all parts of the hosta are edible. But the parts get tough as they get older.

dcarch

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2