• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Linner, two days in a row: quesadillas Cubanos! I did something I never do, and that's roast a pork shoulder, Puerto Rican Pernil. I kind of used a couple of different recipes and mixed and matched ingredients and it turned out really well. Yesterday we made corn tortillas and super basic Cuban style filling: Oaxaca melting cheese, dill pickle slices and shredded pork. We had fabulous corn from the farmers' market on the side.Today we used TJ's flour tortillas, made the same basic quesadillas and had a fairly decent tomato barely dressed on the side. Tomatoes are not quite up to speed here. Some are okay, some no so much.

The jury is still out about mustard on these things. Some people like standard yellow mustard, which I guess is traditional on a Cuban sandwich, but we don't keep that stuff around. My husband tried a very small swoosh of dijon, but even a little seemed wrong to me. I would prefer hot sauce or roasted green chiles, but was very happy with no condiments at all; the pork was a little spicy and the pickles added what dill pickles always do. I'm getting very lazy and don't often do something new and different, and I rarely cook large hunks of meat. My husband still likes plenty of meat so he was over the moon. For me, two days in a row of home made food without having to cook is the best.

• Like 5

@robirdstx You're kill'n me.  That looks so bloody, ridiculously delicious...carrots, celery, onion and are those chunks of potato in there too?

We're having K Paul's chicken and Andouille gumbo from the freezer served on rice with a salad of zucchini, olives, mint, parsley and pecorino...not really photo-worthy as have been most of our meals lately....except maybe the roast pig on Saturday 😍

DSC03111.thumb.jpg.73a5e745c4cd3b9a03a7cd847fb73196.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

Oh, you didn't get one?  It's an annual event...second weekend in July.

This year we had some rain but that did not deter us.

77 lb pig cooked to perfection served with 9 different salads and my infamous baked beans which were simmering away all day...the whole pot was gone, as usual.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

5 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Oh, you didn't get one?  It's an annual event...second weekend in July.

This year we had some rain but that did not deter us.

77 lb pig cooked to perfection served with 9 different salads and my infamous baked beans which were simmering away all day...the whole pot was gone, as usual.

Thanks much for this.   I've marked my 2020 calendar so there will be no miscommunication next year,    I have my priorities...

• Haha 6

eGullet member #80.

Back in town.    Asked DH what he wanted for din.    "How about a simple BLT?"     "YES!"   

For him

1022357264_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.7fcedc329efaadb63b5ba30b645dbbc9.JPG

For me, leftover cooked spaghetti with new artichoke pesto and parmesan

147583646_photo1.thumb.JPG.632d07537b462c08355b42c12181c20b.JPG

The best marriages respect "to each his own".

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

Ok, there are rules associated with our pig roast.

It is a 'picking' pig.  This means one can pull meat from between the shoulders and the ham...basically the belly.

You can't use anything except your fingers.  No napkins as an aid.  No forks or knives.  Just fingers.  Someone showed up with a hemostat one year.  It which was promptly confiscated.

The reason being, if it doesn't come off easily, then the meat isn't done.

Usually the pig is picked clean with the ribs showing...ribs are fair game also.

The cracking is usually shared with early comers but this year I think our family/helpers ate most of it 😬..there were 7 of us.

No feeding the dog (we usually hang a sign around the dog's neck "I hate pig") 😃

In the morning you know you've been to a pig roast because your fingers are burnt, you smell like smoke and you are a little hung over.

Here is a picture of a friend just getting started.  She has a nice pull of belly going.

DSC_0080_2.thumb.jpg.d2159b84b7302580795ce44ba25c5508.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

13 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Thanks much for this.   I've marked my 2020 calendar so there will be no miscommunication next year,    I have my priorities...

You could do some wine touring while you are here.  We have friends who have the most wonderful cabin rental.  http://thegrapeescapebandb.com

Kelowna!

No, no....Naramata or Penticton.

We have over 35 wineries between us and Penticton...amongst some of the best in the valley.  And you are nearer to Oliver and Osoyoos.  Kelowna is a gong show in the summer.

Book early.

Like I said, usually the second weekend in July unless some catastrophic thing happens.  The July long weekend is the busiest in our area which is why we do it the next weekend.

Where are you coming from?

I think we are going to get moved to a new topic soon...derailing the Dinner thread......me bad.

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Ok, there are rules associated with our pig roast.

It is a 'picking' pig.  This means one can pull meat from between the shoulders and the ham...basically the belly.

You can't use anything except your fingers.  No napkins as an aid.  No forks or knives.  Just fingers.  Someone showed up with a hemostat one year.  It which was promptly confiscated.

The reason being, if it doesn't come off easily, then the meat isn't done.

Usually the pig is picked clean with the ribs showing...ribs are fair game also.

The cracking is usually shared with early comers but this year I think our family/helpers ate most of it 😬..there were 7 of us.

No feeding the dog (we usually hang a sign around the dog's neck "I hate pig") 😃

In the morning you know you've been to a pig roast because your fingers are burnt, you smell like smoke and you are a little hung over.

Here is a picture of a friend just getting started.  She has a nice pull of belly going.

DSC_0080_2.thumb.jpg.d2159b84b7302580795ce44ba25c5508.jpg

How fast is the spit rotating in that picture?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I think @Okanagancookis going to need more than one pig next year.

Made a sweet and sour sauce with tofu, pheasant and mustard greens over rice with an egg roll --sounds weird, but the mixture works

thumbnail_IMG_6560.jpg.97c5ae93b766fc67397773cb7fecbfca.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6561.jpg.cfd65484eb4a2fb788fbf2d2f0c85804.jpg

Yesterday morning I braved the steep and muddy river banks behind our house and went fishing with Ronnie.  I had the lucky touch 'cause I caught all the fish 😁

thumbnail_IMG_6562.jpg.d0a93fe5fe2a5e0f616e048b884650f6.jpg

So catfish for dinner

thumbnail_IMG_6563.jpg.8a2c53a9e75597fefbe885c0bace6c87.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6564.jpg.360df4171cdebc12320026f57aec6369.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6565.jpg.ef3cc1de013a41f04fb7df31764f43dd.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, KennethT said:

Finally over the jetlag (mostly) so it's time to start cooking again.... Weekly salmon, with cucumber som tum.

20190715_201813.thumb.jpg.dd340c76fc1e8f0e9d822bf06d34c379.jpg

Can you steer me towards a recipe for the salad?  I did some googling but the results were all over the place.

I didn't use a recipe per se...  In Thailand, they will make som tum out of lots of different things, depending on what's on hand.  In this country, we know it only as the "green papaya salad", but my preference is for the same thing but made with green mango - the green mango is a little more tart and tannic, but practically impossible to find in this country (or at least that I've seen).  But you can adapt the basic dressing/method to lots of things... so I used cucumber - the mini persian kind which has the tender skin.

A long time ago, I saw a recipe for som tum and its variants in the Pok Pok book by Andy Ricker... I've been using it as a basis fora  long time, but haven't actually looked at the recipe in a long time either, so I may have been making changes as time goes by.  The basis is dried shrimp, palm sugar, lime juice, chilis and fish sauce, oh and peanuts..  I usually add a clove or two of garlic, and last night, just because I had it laying around, I added a sprig of lemongrass, minced then pounded into a paste (or really sawdust since the lemongrass I get here isn't very juicy).  I also threw some fried shallot on top, because fried shallots make everything better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Made a sweet and sour sauce with tofu, pheasant and mustard greens over rice with an egg roll --sounds weird, but the mixture works

thumbnail_IMG_6560.jpg.97c5ae93b766fc67397773cb7fecbfca.jpg

I believe those tomatoes would appear unpeeled, even to the most casual observer.:shock:

HC

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

I believe those tomatoes would appear unpeeled, even to the most casual observer.:shock:

HC

I can tolerate cherry/grape tomatoes with their vicious peels intact.  Just barely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6