• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

16 hours ago, weinoo said:

It's summer and I can't be spending much evening time in the kitchen, as the kitchen might as well be a terrarium - facing southwest, it heats up like an MF in the afternoons. So, I put stuff together, and do any main cooking, in the mornings. Then I serve it.

YOPMSdu.jpg?2

Gazpacho While still waiting for real tomatoes, this was actually quite good using 1/2 canned Muir organic tomatoes and 1/2 peeled and seeded fresh Romas, cucumber, soaked red onion, roasted yellow peppers, roasted jalapeño, Tabasco, garlic salt (!), olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, etc. etc.

EPGTbiS.jpg?2

Seared red Argentinian shrimp over fresh corn salsa. Corn taken off some sweet fresh ears and pan roasted, roasted jalapeño and serrano, red onion (soaked), lime juice, olive oil, s & p. Alongside some Yukon Gold potato salad.

Good call on the Argentinian shrimp.  Besides the fresh (and exorbitant) BC Spot Prawns, those are the best I have had. 

Also, clean waters and far better fishing practices than the Chinese, I only buy these frozen beauties now.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

@Ann_T, what are they stuffed with? They look marvelous.

Just a traditional bread stuffing.    

My mom was not a very good cook, but this is one of a handful of things that she cooked that was a favourite.

You could use your favourite stuffing.  

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2009/11/stuffed-baby-back-ribs.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our go-to on a scorching night in the country.     Raw tomato sauce (tomatoes, red onion, garlic, basil, herbes des Provence, balsamic, soy, evoo.)  For those who've live around here, this was stolen from the Flea Streer Cafe (Alemeda de las Pulgas, Menlo Park) in the '80s.   This is a universal sauce that is also superb on grilled bread, boiled potatoes, by the spoon...

1949456734_photo1.thumb.JPG.74d20817434ed30bd91d15bd1841ec7e.JPG

This hot/cold combo always pleases on even nights with little appetite.

512414907_photo3.thumb.JPG.076ab3bba05a368c5d1d9b41139bc872.JPG

Usual greens

1656721892_photo2.thumb.JPG.3f3ec4836154460dfb840c0fc6d4db87.JPG

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

Dinner07122019.png

Salmon with Gaspesian salmon rub.  First baked potato since my recent root canal.  Excellent.  Every morsel was enjoyed.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Could no longer stand it so decided to "fix me some hot crash potatoes with dill sauce".    No pics because my plate while delicious would take a distant third to robirdstx's.    But many thanks for the inspiration.   I'll do better next time with larger than marble potatoes and fresh dill.    (When I lamented to DH that I had forgotten to pick up fresh dill, he commented, "That is definitely a bourgeois tragedy.")

Since this was personal indulgence night, I made DH a batch of Subway Sweet Onion sauce for his hamburger steak.    Another really close but no cigar.    Still, was appreciated.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

Light supper. Cornmeal and sweet corn muffins (savory, with just a touch of sugar) with sour cream.

Served with a salad, some brined and fresh cheeses. Home made limoncello.

IMG_20190622_204648_1.jpg

IMG_20190622_210153.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 4

~ Shai N.

14 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Nice choice.   Lodi wines are vary tremendously and many are equally under appreciated.   

I agree.  I belong to their wine club.  It was Oak Ridge label.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Brisket "burnt ends" served with green beans in butter and more Lodi Petite Sirah.  I put burnt ends in quotes because they really are just hunks of brisket and not the ends and not burnt.  They were from a package at Costco (Cowboy BBQ brand).  First, they weren't that great out of the package, many pieces were tough.  And as I mentioned, they weren't burnt or the ends.  I charred them up a bit after heating them up (SV at 160F for 30 minutes from frozen) and that helped.  Last, I was a bit miffed by the packaging.  It was 1.68 pounds and sold by the pound.  My plan was to divvy them up into three 1/2 pound packages and freeze.  After the second package, none was left.  Turns out the sauce packet (packed separately) was part of the weight and it weighed 1/2 a pound!  The sauce was pretty good though.  I will not be buying them again.

burnt-ends.jpg.cd41bdaec53fcbf27a4de93728935bd6.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On 7/11/2019 at 10:17 AM, Ann_T said:

Working today so got a head start on dinner.

786976299_StuffedBabyBackRibsJuly11th2019.thumb.jpg.52dfe595909ed6b9a8a7c0cb3f581d21.jpg

Stuffed Baby Back Ribs. Ready for the oven.

Matt will put them in the oven so that they are almost done by the time I get home from work.

Did you take the fish hooks out of those worms first?

If not @Kerry Beal can consult

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 7

21 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Turkey on homemade wheat--fries hadn't made it on the plate yet.  Yes.  All 6 of them.

IMG_6551.JPG.1ac1388ca61aaab467d0b345619752bf.JPG

Venison taco salads

IMG_6553.JPG.dcb9aa85444c28e10eff34b9b770dc77.JPG

You can have the six fries with the lone okra... :>)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Son and young grandson coming to the country for a "work weekend", which has extrapolated meaning of they work outside, I cook.    Rising into the 90s today, so I jumped the gun and roasted a piece of pork belly at dawn.

1795407362_photo1.thumb.JPG.3b30c2e70c3707b602180ef1a81a5ab8.JPG

Continued by popular request with a fresh apricot tart

740542568_photo3.thumb.JPG.00ef452a331ee0ba0094285db6df5dea.JPG

Our lunch today, peaches with brown sugar and sour cream

1591248647_photo2.thumb.JPG.1641919f0b2f75ad0ef3201176503dbb.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

eGullet member #80.