• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Salsiccia with onion and Sriracha cannellini beans  --  An Italian sausage I get from our Italian club/ sauted onion separately/ used a canned bean wash and simmer in Sriracha--Combine   

48134103893_6cc36e1cd8_o.thumb.jpg.41e5a03fe8e769b06ed1c8ca4da9c6c8.jpg

• Like 8

Its good to have Morels

@Smithy's Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini was delicious! Even though I've never coated cauliflower before so I had no idea about proportions or how much sauce to make. I stuck my finger in it to see what it tasted like and thought it was boring, so I added more harissa. Oh là là!

This image is rotated (it's not rotated on my computer). Help?

IMG_1721_cropped2.jpg.486882402ad14c7539bea21a78c95793.jpg

Also fresh pasta and tomato sauce. (Also rotated)

IMG_1723_cropped2.jpg.524efab87be3cddb32cfce43c3358803.jpg

Edit: Turns out the rotating problem is an issue with my version of Windows. Carry on . . .

Edited by TdeV (log)
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

@Smithy's Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini was delicious! Even though I've never coated cauliflower before so I had no idea about proportions or how much sauce to make. I stuck my finger in it to see what it tasted like and thought it was boring, so I added more harissa. Oh là là!

I tried @Smithy roasted cauliflower. But I didn’t have sesame paste. So I used dark miso. And added harissa. Very nice. Probably nothing like the original.  But nice. Can’t wait to try the real thing. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Also fresh pasta and tomato sauce. (Also rotated)

IMG_1723_cropped2.jpg.524efab87be3cddb32cfce43c3358803.jpg

When I get a grip on unintended rotation, I'll PM you.    Otherwise, just post as you do.   Your plates look great!

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

@chefmd – I’m sorry about your beans, but those scallops are calling to me.  I need to have some soon!

The other night - Hanover tomatoes and cucumbers:

DSCN9790.JPG.f47c946225f262af76ebe01f3577cac0.JPG

Spaghetti Bolognese:

DSCN9791.JPG.06485b3c9d2c7895eac2b64078baaba8.JPG

Garlic bread:

DSCN9792.JPG.9e890605e0d168b0870d1126fa12f0a9.JPG

I told Mr. Kim that I didn’t have bread for garlic bread.  If he wanted some with dinner, he needed to stop on his way home from work and pick it up.  He came home with frozen garlic bread.  Bless his heart. 🙂

• Like 13
  • Haha 3

@Smithy, what liquidity did your Cauliflower with Tahini have? Also, how much (total) did you have?

I ask because, while mine had great flavour, I think it was too thick. Seems like, in each bite, I had as much sauce as I had cauliflower. I had about 3/4 - 1 cup total which was not enough to do 3/4 of a large cauliflower.

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

@Smithy, what liquidity did your Cauliflower with Tahini have? Also, how much (total) did you have?

I ask because, while mine had great flavour, I think it was too thick. Seems like, in each bite, I had as much sauce as I had cauliflower. I had about 3/4 - 1 cup total which was not enough to do 3/4 of a large cauliflower.

I'm afraid I didn't measure the quantity of the finished sauce, but I remember thinking it didn't look like enough for the entire large head of cauliflower that I had cut into chunks. Since I was making substitutions anyway (and had overlooked the fact that I was to thin it with water, since water was in the instructions but not listed among the ingredients) I added salsa, ketchup and oil until it looked like enough and tasted good. I probably had around 1-1/2 cups.

As far as the liquidity goes, it was thin enough to penetrate crevices in the florets and thick enough to stay there, with some dripping onto the baking sheet. As I recall it was slightly more runny than yogurt, but nowhere near as runny as cream. 

We liked the thick coating and relatively high ratio of coating to cauliflower. It gave an interesting texture and flavor to the cauliflower, which softened quite a bit during the roasting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Chinese pepper steak. For the record, @rotuts, the green elements here are Cubanelles, but truth be told, while I abhor the taste of raw GBP, once they are fully cooked, I find them sublime, so it was a matter of price and price alone here tonight.

HC

IMG_0411.thumb.JPG.050b9bf4fcb9940ed982b4bfb62520e3.JPGIMG_0415.thumb.JPG.19f0503c83120b0950df7b61cc28b3f6.JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

nothing can be done to GBB to make them remotely palatable.

therefore :

1) throw them out  

2) never buy them

3) remember to mention you are allergic to GBB in any restaurant that might serve them , esp Chinese

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

20 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Shrimp Po Boy, dressed (for Deb)...

Sure she preferred him dressed?  Did you ask?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 6/27/2019 at 7:04 AM, Paul Bacino said:

Pan Roasted Quail ( S and P )/ Fregula in a wild turkey ( as in animal peeps )stock/black berry Gastric

48137892176_34c4a081fd_o.thumb.jpg.6fd3b49af08d540a0dff6be119950597.jpg

Someday I will have a personalized license that reads "I brakel for Frugola"     Quail?   They can take care of themselves. 

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

@Shelby

Creamed Peas were one of my favorite things growing up

I had to lean to make them myself

as my  mother always provided a home cooked dinner  

and a home cooked breakfast for my sister and I

she would have preferred to dig around in her garden

I might mention. she make meat sauce for spaghetti 

and added the cooked spaghetti to the sauce first

and it was very tasty Id say

may not so much on day 3 , being reheated in the oven covered in