• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Lamb chops, polenta, stuffed mushroom and peas two way with split cream sauce 🙁.  I had the sauce and peas in a double boiler which worked great except I kept them in too long waiting for the mushrooms to be finished cooking. 

I gave the chops a good trim first.  this is lamb from up valley.  Free range beautifully tender lamb.  We buy two whole lamb a year.  Delicious.  I put a bit of chopped garlic, thyme and rosemary  mixture on top to marinate during the day before cooking.

DSC03069.thumb.jpg.2543b698f226d679fdc6011ed373580b.jpgDSC03070.thumb.jpg.4bdf6ec93d0bcfe8fc24b8272e619e91.jpgDSC03089.thumb.jpg.6745ffc9ba4a469ed70aa99bdafc01db.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 4

Salad for dinner after an indulgent breakfast out with friends (full all day from those pancakes!)...endive, radish, english cuke, grape tomatoes, scallion, cooked shrimp. Simple lemon juice dressing with some fresh dill.

IMG_20190623_185943.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@BeeZee – I really love the look of that shrimp salad.  I’ve never thought to put all of that into shrimp and it sounds absolutely wonderful!

Night before last was breakfast-for-dinner:

DSCN9781.thumb.JPG.5b2f2889dff3f5076d0fe9038057366c.JPG

Sausage rolls, orange segments, nectarine, and scrambled eggs with cheese.

Last night:

DSCN9782.JPG.3d93e3f838291de88b0bef24e59fbe5b.JPG

French dip w/ provolone and fried onions, fries and broccoli.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

1129964089_IMG_6847(1).thumb.jpg.c2e78cd195a8d77f3c55241b4d89d7bf.jpg

Long Island scallops (these beauties were large), sautéed and pan sauce over. Served with a made ahead orzo salad with feta, olives, onions, capers, dill, green beans, parsley, olive oil, lemon, vinegar. And a green salad alongside.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Those scallops look so plump and juicy and the pasta is a great choice to go with.   Hummm, I just bought some scallops!

They really were large - almost 2 ounces per. I left them quite rare and juicy in the middle.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Tonight;s dinner- beef-and-pork burger with umami sauce (ketchup, soy sauce, miso, fish sauce, and Worcestershire sauce), with lettuce and Muenster cheese. Sides of potato chips (not homemade) and mango/jicama slaw

64859742_353745518661750_1943722887579959296_n.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Husband is away on shift at the moment. If you asked him what I said I had for dinner it would be martyr-esque 'fridge scraps, using up leftovers'. Which is true... but its also what I'd choose as my last meal. 

Cheese scraps on Toast. We have some Snowdonia Cheese Vintage Red Lester, Unidentified Cheddar, Something Sheepy and Spanish with some Mozz Dust to bind.  I hate cleaning the fridge 😉

20190623_215909.thumb.jpg.b1b3a1776f1f190390535f28ece1e124.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

Too much of a "fire drill" for pics, but yesterday I threw a Grocery Outlet miniature beef chuck roast in the oven mid-day:along with usual suspects, @ 275F and let it be, counting on doing "something" with it for dinner.    DH got an SOS from our son asking for help in a project that needed to be completed before today.    So at 4pm DH had a plate of meat and jus plus cantaloupe.    He got home around 11p.m.   

Leftover pot roast is a good thing.

• Like 7

eGullet member #80.

A friend gave me some fresh apricots from his tree, so I made dinner with them.  I pan-cooked some pork medallions in butter and set them aside.  Then I added the quartered apricots to the pan along with some water, salt and pepper and made a pan-sauce with the fond and butter that was left in the pan.  Reduced to thicken and then added the pork back to reheat.

pork-chops-apricot.jpg.7e14b6e6ea0d8875d7eb6b089f21990e.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@CantCookStillTry – cheese toast is one of my very favorite things in the world.  I grew up eating it as a snack or with soup, but no one else I knew did.  Mr. Kim hadn’t ever had it until I served it to him.  Then a couple of years ago, I served it with soup to a British friend.  He said “oh, good – cheese toast.  I haven’t had this for years!”.  My stepdad (some will remember Ted) was British and I’m wondering if it is a British thing?

@Shelby – what did you do to your potatoes?  They look great.

Well, I made the trashiest thing in my repertoire last night – “Tamale Pie”.  I’ve made this for years.  I honestly thought I’d invented it when Mr. Kim and I were newly married and broke, but I’ve seen it in community cookbooks and on “downhome” websites, so I guess not😊. 

Canned tamales:

DSCN9783.JPG.3f148aeed8d65f5bd9ee20237147c0af.JPG

Cheese (pre-shedded):

DSCN9784.JPG.285e67d4c6757b91f2bf8f509309216f.JPG

Canned chili:

DSCN9785.JPG.5fbe67da78312f57d8c2823fa7f09006.JPG

More cheese on top and baked:

DSCN9787.JPG.64a43c9a30e52d20d0c687012f0fde7b.JPG

Served with tortilla chips and slaw:

DSCN9788.JPG.a53d2cc377a9a127c6494830022901ce.JPG

DSCN9786.JPG.1b763baf9b347c0da897d6734cc3bbbe.JPG

The slaw itself was in a bag, but I did make the sauce.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

22 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

what did you do to your potatoes?  They look great.

Thank you!  Nothing super special.  Halved or quartered them.  Tossed with melted butter, salt, pepper, garlic and the juice of a lemon.  Roasted in the CSO at 400 F for 20-30 mins.

I, too, want some tamale pie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kim, that's some fancy-schmancy tamale pie!    My mother's version, which I inherited, is simply masa or corn meal mush base layered with Mexican seasoned meat sauce, more mush, sauce and cheese.     Maybe she threw in some (canned) black olives along the way.   Yours is really "down town"!

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

If you want to up your tamale pie game, Rick Bayless has a recipe on line. He uses Masa Harina para Tamales, the nixtamalized corn flour that comes in a bag. If you make a sauce using dried red chiles, or in a pinch ground chile powder, it really takes off. Rather than ground beef I like to use shredded pork from a roasted shoulder (like Pernil, the Puerto Rican version) or shredded chicken, even from a rotisserie bird. This is more like the Tamale Pie home made in the southwest. Very satisfying and of course easier than making your own tamales.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

If you want to up your tamale pie game, Rick Bayless has a recipe on line. He uses Masa Harina para Tamales, the nixtamalized corn flour that comes in a bag. If you make a sauce using dried red chiles, or in a pinch ground chile powder, it really takes off. Rather than ground beef I like to use shredded pork from a roasted shoulder (like Pernil, the Puerto Rican version) or shredded chicken, even from a rotisserie bird. This is more like the Tamale Pie home made in the southwest. Very satisfying and of course easier than making your own tamales.  

While acknowledging that my mother would be reading this with head-shaking incomprehension, I want a place at your table when you serve this luscious bake.    When???

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.