• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

8 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I'm an English girl living in semi outback Australia whose only 'American Experience' was Disney Land Florida circa 2001. I do not Cornbread. Teach me your ways.

Edit to Add: I know there will be a thread or 6, off to find..

I would also like to see the cornbread recipe.  I'm a Jiffy girl and it is my shame as a GRITS that I've never made really great cornbread.

9 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I would also like to see the cornbread recipe.  I'm a Jiffy girl and it is my shame as a GRITS that I've never made really great cornbread.

Re: homemade cornbread, you can combine the dry stuff in batch-size containers or zip-locs, then some morning turn on oven, add milk, egg and oil or melted butter to your dry mix and have your cornbread in the oven in a "jiffy"

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Re: homemade cornbread, you can combine the dry stuff in batch-size containers or zip-locs, then some morning turn on oven, add milk, egg and oil or melted butter to your dry mix and have your cornbread in the oven in a "jiffy"

Sounds like something @andiesenji would do (meaning a smart and efficient thing to do). ;) :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I made a recipe that put a cheesesteak  filling inside a bread dough and baked.  The Korean restaurant we always go to has had corn topped with melted mozzarella and since there was a lot of filling leftover and some corn in the refrigerator, I tried baking the two together to see how it would turn out.  It was OK but not would have been better as a side for a dish that didn't have the same ingredients. 

20190618_161138.jpg

• Like 9

Sauteed flounder with roasted cherry tomatoes and black olives.

Simple in this heat and humidity.

Making some saffron rice.  When cool I'll make some fried rice to use up some bits and pieces of veg from the fridge.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I don't know what this is. I know what's in it;  I made it after all.

Beef and okra. I marinated the beef for 24 hours in wine, with garlic, chilli, shallots and turmeric. Slow stewed that then added okra, home made yoghurt and balcony mint. Seved with rice.

I'd do it again!

mint1.thumb.jpg.ca4e9e75e844c3c25bb1f04d60270113.jpg

mint2.thumb.jpg.c3ac8f4f03a366d140850345b3d272bf.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

21 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Last night's dinner.

1268285532_WhiteVealStew(BlanquettedeVeau)June17th2019.thumb.jpg.12d23bcfda17e2f6218b93390d086d05.jpg

Blanquette de Veau

I used shallots instead of pearl onions.  Hate peeling pearl onions. 

Birds Eye has frozen pearl onions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just me last night...DH is off in Spokane golfing with his nerdy golf buddies 🙄  At least he has an opportunity to win some cash!

Stir fried beef with mushrooms, green onions and snow peas from the garden.  Rice with chili oil to go with.  

I coated the beef in cornstarch before frying.  Kept it quite moist.  Should have used more oil to get the outside a little crunchy.

DSC03077.thumb.jpg.a1b696a578dc5dff7954271eead9c028.jpg

• Like 19

We hosted Father’s Day dinner.  Started with cheese, crackers, trail mix and peanuts:

DSCN9755.JPG.bdb3ec021fa74bd57a0066de61c2e622.JPG

(clockwise from top left) Mary Cambozola Black Label, St. Angel, Truffle Parano, garlic and herb goat, and honey goat.

DSCN9756.JPG.2fb27cfb24e145783590f96c31dd01f7.JPG

Bread, crackers, trail mix, and Old Bay peanuts.

Ribs:

DSCN9761.JPG.3a7d247b3b628b27b04fcf12d830c677.JPG

This was a Cooks Country recipe and it very good, but not without a problem.  The rub and sauce were very good (though I added a little extra sweetness to the sauce), but the method was the issue.  They were supposed to be cooked in a slow cooker by cutting a full rack in half and putting the two racks sitting up in the cooker.  I don’t know what size slow cooker they used (it wasn’t specified, unfortunately), but I have a large one and the ribs were too tall for the cooker.  So, I cut them into 4 ribs each and that way they tilted against each other and fit. 

Hanover tomatoes (locally celebrated) and Duke’s:

DSCN9757.JPG.50fb8e628efb8087fee369e917afa58d.JPG

Pickly stuff:

DSCN9758.thumb.JPG.150b6e9b7e8428ee98cda7b2b83ee2c7.JPG

Top right are my MIL’s sweet pickled green tomatoes and middle right are the Jake & Amos pickled green grape tomatoes. 

DSCN9759.JPG.60524681db0236f8780544d283d3bb09.JPG

Jessica’s gorgeous salad with mixed greens, crumbled Wensleydale & apricot cheese, candied pecans, crisped Prosciutto, pickled shallots and a balsamic/saba dressing.

DSCN9760.JPG.e06073a2f08c4bbc6149a8ccdcf180bd.JPG

Marinated cucumbers.

DSCN9762.JPG.633e6b474288477ce1af403ba3c14bde.JPG

Cooler corn.  I don’t know if anyone else does this method.  It is a great idea for serving corn to a crowd.  You shuck the corn, put it in a clean cooler and cover with boiling water.  In about 30 minutes the corn is cooked and hot and usually stays that way for a couple of hours. 

DSCN9763.JPG.be64246a90731cc70414530dfeb4f915.JPG

Jessica’s hashbrown casserole.  Her best ever rendition with Swiss, Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses and mild green chilis.  Spoonful:

DSCN9777.JPG.e2824aba399d5f9bd1960263a99c9b71.JPG

DSCN9764.JPG.b620b61b2e82b10f970476f399fd9266.JPG

Jessica’s pineapple casserole.  It went really well with the ribs. 

Monday was my grandmother’s funeral in Reidsville NC.  After the funeral and the burial and speaking to people I haven’t seen for years – hearing how loved she was and how many people helped her when her niece and nephew and I couldn’t be there - and going back to the house and looking through pictures and telling stories, we needed supper before heading home.  Where else but Short Sugar’s – the BBQ place that I grew up going to and have written about here before?  I’m guessing I had my first meal at Short Sugar’s before I had teeth.  Granddaddy probably had me gumming hushpuppies on my first visit to Reidsville.  We just shared an assortment of stuff – a wonderful burger:

ss1.jpg.ec860eee7dac77baaa9bf1bddfafcc2b.jpg

When I spent my summers here as a kid, I ate a lot of these burgers.  But as an adult, I haven’t spent as much time there and so, when I have the chance to eat there, I usually choose BBQ.  The burgers are wonderful, though – just the right size and griddle cooked. 

Brunswick stew and hushpuppies:

ss3.thumb.jpg.57c5e4dbea3acc4f617f6e06aa536e55.jpg

A chopped pork sandwich with slaw:

ss4.jpg.731806d846d542d56fcc696dd90517c5.jpg

And an order of pork rinds:

ss2.jpg.47897e09aecc05851fb0002a12b126c6.jpg

One of which was as big as Jessica’s hand:

20190617_182133.jpg.7861356d2627d51b1a2a37a082476d61.jpg

Everything was delicious and as comforting as we needed it to be. 

• Like 20
  • Delicious 3

A few dinners that have stacked up...

Brought this home from Pop+Dutch:

DIyAURp.jpg?2

So this was dinner the night we came home from Provincetown:

5hBX2xm.jpg?1

My standby Roman:

CMyW3rW.jpg?1

Mezze rigatoni all'amatriciana. Also meant a frittata the next morning for breakfast 😋.

Then I went all Spanish/Basque:

KGigjYY.jpg?1

Ensalada de Judias Blancas. White beans (RG's fancy ones) with tomatoes, olives, onion, parsley, olive oil, wine vinegar, etc. Along with:

GczrUET.jpg?2

Ensaladilla Rusa. Potato, vegetable, and tuna with capers, green olives, mayo, etc.

I need to order in go out to dinner soon. This is 3 nights in a row.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

21 minutes ago, weinoo said:

A few dinners that have stacked up...

Brought this home from Pop+Dutch:

DIyAURp.jpg?2

So this was dinner the night we came home from Provincetown:

5hBX2xm.jpg?1

My standby Roman:

CMyW3rW.jpg?1

Mezze rigatoni all'amatriciana. Also meant a frittata the next morning for breakfast 😋.

Then I went all Spanish/Basque:

KGigjYY.jpg?1

Ensalada de Judias Blancas. White beans (RG's fancy ones) with tomatoes, olives, onion, parsley, olive oil, wine vinegar, etc. Along with:

GczrUET.jpg?2

Ensaladilla Rusa. Potato, vegetable, and tuna with capers, green olives, mayo, etc.

I need to order in go out to dinner soon. This is 3 nights in a row.

You do boarders?

• Haha 6

eGullet member #80.