• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

13 hours ago, demiglace said:

Oh and how do you make your stuffing balls. I want them.

Thank you so much. 

Re Stuffing balls. So simple.

Basically you save up every single roll / heel of bread that missed the eat fresh cut in the freezer until your significant other looses their mind. (I find for maximum effect its better that you don't store said rolls together - more a haphazard, every third package is a stale roll type of situation). 

I process to crumbs, blitz one or two onions. Ton of Sage. Bind with egg and squidge. Cook for 25 mins around the roast or, if not roasting meat I cook in my dripping reserve - because heart disease is unfortunately tasty. 🤷‍♀️

• Haha 7

The theme tonight was abject laziness. Stuck a spud in the nuclear box to bake and pan fried some pork tenderloin slices. Served with Shanghai bok choy (not pictured as you may have noticed!)

I so wish China had decent pototoes, but I make do. These are too waxy for my liking. Topped them with salt pepper and Sriracha because I could. They weren't bad, but could have been so much better.

spud1.thumb.jpg.6c2105d6065f19b8baee0fbcc9ef103e.jpg

spud2.thumb.jpg.1660902f7fa2e521f1d520afac8933cd.jpg

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Tri-tip steak cooked SV then seared,  served with jumbo artichoke made in the IP and a glass of Lodi Zin.

tt-choke.jpg.46a588902a7651f2f69125d7c71b93b4.jpg

Another tri-tip, this time with lightly stir-fried snap peas and a different Lodi Zin.

tt-snap.jpg.4863bda9d19bc93290c8c32a6c822aab.jpg

And dessert of homemade non-dairy chocolate-peanut butter-sea salt gelato.

pb-choc-salt.jpg.3a3a874f17f05460b81634ae7f8410ea.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@Duvel @liamsaunt @Okanagancook It seems that it was pizza day :P

We had my folks over for a pizza night a well. I went with a Neapolitan style dough, baked ~2min in my electric broiler oven / death machine.

Margarita.

IMG_20190531_205714.thumb.jpg.03ff11e0e1aae416dc7d2d02682d4a9b.jpgIMG_20190531_205718_1.thumb.jpg.8787b54527aee0f666b112a780248d2b.jpg

Bechamel, artichoke, rosemary, pistachio, parmesan.

IMG_20190531_212447_1.thumb.jpg.ebd70ddc9f6b926d602abb05f59ad9ca.jpgIMG_20190531_212519.thumb.jpg.578b9b2e768b473c6dddcc35a3e534dc.jpg

Moussaka flavored eggplant - tomato sauce & bechamel,  oregano, thyme, nutmeg, cumin.

This one I somewhat mishandled, so it's a bit of a mess.

IMG_20190601_202616.thumb.jpg.fa3156d2a440432711a30de4d7289bba.jpg

Ricotta, mozzarella, pesto, tomatoes.

IMG_20190601_204911.thumb.jpg.40af736ac663feecb7c42282b8dfcfbd.jpgIMG_20190601_204937.thumb.jpg.50388c5f0b06c99b00c623ec756f3af4.jpg

Crumb view:

IMG_20190531_212652.thumb.jpg.6a63b08cd51ff31f04e7260ced0b13db.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

~ Shai N.

Wow, wonderful looking pizzas and that crust!  I have your recipe saved somewhere...need to dig it out.  If I remember, it is an overnight kinda dough. I like the toppings especially the artichoke.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Thank you so much. 

Basically you save up every single roll / heel of bread that missed the eat fresh cut in the freezer until your significant other looses their mind. (I find for maximum effect its better that you don't store said rolls together - more a haphazard, every third package is a stale roll type of situation). 

I process to crumbs, blitz one or two onions. Ton of Sage. Bind with egg and squidge. Cook for 25 mins around the roast or, if not roasting meat I cook in my dripping reserve - because heart disease is unfortunately tasty. 🤷‍♀️

Hilarious, thank you!

• Like 1

@TdeV @Okanagancook

Thanks both. Here is the recipe. It's not the same one I posted before, as this one is my Neapolitan style dough and the other was for NY style pizzas.

3 pizzas:

6g fresh yeast / 3g dry yeast

280g room temp water

430g AP flour

15g sugar

11g salt

-

Rehydrate yeast in water.

Mix in other ingredients. 

Knead well until a strong dough forms.

Rest 10 minutes, the dough will relax and soften.

Knead again until it's strong and "tough".

Cover and refrigerate overnight (up to 3 nights).

1 to 1.5 hours before baking (more if you have cold climate),  divide the dough into 3 equal pieces.

Shape into balls (look online for bread rolls shaping technique).

Dust well with semolina (flour tend to dry the dough exterior). You may also oil them lightly, but the result will be slightly different.

Cover with towel and rest for 1 to 1.5 hours.

Have a wood fired oven or a really hot broiler with a really hot baking steal ready. I use an electric pita bread oven.

Shape the dough into a pizza, making sure to leave a 2cm wide shoulder unpressed. In general, avoid pressing or over stretching, don't use a rolling pin.

Top with sauce, cheese etc. For a Margarita, I use briefly cooked and blended tomatoes, salt, and cold fresh motz.

Transfer to oven (If you don't feel like risking it, shape and top the pizza over a parchment paper and bake with it).

Bake until the cheese is just fully melted, fresh motz should not be browning and should barely bubble. The crust should be pale but charred at spots. Ideally, it should take about 90-180 seconds.

Remove from oven and place over wire rack, top with basil and other finishing touches (the pistachios and Parmesan on the artichoke pizza are both unbaked).

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Husband asked for really thin-crust pizza.     Had homemade tomato sauce on hand.    Oaxacan cheese, mushrooms, sweet onions.      Free form, as pizza master Todd English admonished, "Never trust a round pizza."   ;)

Baked in lowest rack of oven on a cookie sheet in 550F preheated oven.    About 7 minutes.

1148372340_photo2-3.thumb.JPG.3dbcce0a4bab29f3fb97120985d7114c.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

14 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Thank you so much. 

Girl. We have to teach you how to make cornbread dressing. Do you do cornbread?

Love the baking it in balls in the drippings. Cornbread dressing is a bit to "liquidy" to do that with, and I'm not sure how it'd do if you used enough less liquid to enable you to mold it. I will have to experiment.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

19 minutes ago, kayb said:

Love the baking it in balls in the drippings. Cornbread dressing is a bit to "liquidy" to do that with, and I'm not sure how it'd do if you used enough less liquid to enable you to mold it. I will have to experiment.

That reminds of this recipe (click) from Food Network (Emeril has a version of this recipe, as well). I thought the shrimp was a little fussy and thought just the corn bread crab balls would be great by themselves. You could leave the crab out (can you tell I like cornbread? :cool: ).

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A simple enough dinner since I'm still recovering and will be it seems for another week or so.

Potato salad in the IP, gosh, that was the easiest recipe ever, whew,   And a bone-in pork chop done in the CSO and dinner is ready.  

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, kayb said:

My Austrian M-I-L used to wax euphoric about bacon dumplings her mother used to make.    She never had a recipe, and since this was before the internet, we were never able to find one.  But this is pretty close to what she described.     Not rocket science and sounds pretty savory. 

• Like 5

eGullet member #80.

18 minutes ago, aishwaryajha said:

potato salad, easy and my best favorite one 

That looks tasty.  Care to share your recipe?  Welcome to egullet!

Tonight I made a quinoa-black bean-mango-pepper-avocado salad with a cilantro-lime dressing that I found in a vegan cookbook.  I topped it with grilled shrimp because I am not a vegan and crustacean allergic nephew is out of town for the week so I have plenty of time to scour the kitchen and grill before his return 🙂

2052771470_shrimp2.thumb.jpg.2e8ca2b6d185ea8a5f1404e099f30a27.jpg

• Like 15

9 hours ago, kayb said:

I'm an English girl living in semi outback Australia whose only 'American Experience' was Disney Land Florida circa 2001. I do not Cornbread. Teach me your ways.

Edit to Add: I know there will be a thread or 6, off to find..

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Haha 6