• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

On 5/30/2019 at 11:31 PM, Kim Shook said:

Redneck cassoulet!  😁

If you really mean to be redneck, you need to open up a can or 2 of Vienna Sausages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Regarding the catfish discussion – I think that catfish is one of those fish that has really benefitted from farming.  Favor-wise, I mean.  I used to detest catfish – I thought it tasted muddy and dirty and funky.  US farmed catfish is sweet and delicately flavored.  If you haven’t tried it in years or at all, give it a go. 

I had most of the ingredients, so last night I tried out a recipe for a chicken cordon bleu casserole from Ree Drummond.  It was ok.  A little bland and very soupy.  We decided that it needed to be served with rice.  Layered chicken, ham and cheeses:

DSCN9735.JPG.b52c1abc6aaca4442e123d388c04d1af.JPG

Before putting in the oven - topped with buttered panko:

DSCN9736.JPG.7200cc3bc85d27d81a9685c0e9464ddc.JPG

Just out of the oven:

DSCN9738.JPG.81f30be7d9e0120246866b44c2a141ca.JPG

The panko didn’t get very browned – even after leaving in an extra 10 minutes.  Serving:

DSCN9739.JPG.86616f89bc1b8784526206214f910bc8.JPG

It was very soupy – this is after letting it sit over 10 minutes after removing from the oven:

DSCN9740.JPG.028baaaf48721b16e1010af27019c6bb.JPG

Not sure why I was so underwhelmed with this.  It needs something.  I checked the other cordon bleu casserole that I’ve made in the past and noticed that it had dill, nutmeg, and dry mustard.  Also no chicken broth – only milk and light cream and Cheddar instead of Swiss and Monterey Jack.  I guess my old recipe is really just a creamy ham and chicken casserole – not so much cordon bleu!  I’m wondering if this recipe would be improved with some really good, strong ham – like country ham? 

I served this with leftover Cobb pasta salad from a church pot luck on Sunday:

DSCN9737.thumb.JPG.cac860a522bad3de791e61b47f3d9e7f.JPG

This is pasta with an avocado/mayo/lime dressing topped with chicken, roasted corn, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, and bleu cheese.  Singularly unattractive with the greenish hue to the pasta, but it was still very good.  We added some oil and vinegar dressing to moisten and that woke up the leftovers.

• Like 8

@Kim Shook, it certainly looks good.  It is always disappointing when you make something that doesn't live up to your expectations. 

I tried a few of her recipes when she first came on the scene  and found them all really basic and "underwhelming"

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 6

On 6/10/2019 at 12:51 AM, Smithy said:

Some time ago, in another topic, @rotuts recommended a particular style of pecan cracker. I found one and bought it, and finally got around to trying it today. It worked well, once I decided that a plastic bag was needed to keep shells from flying all over the kitchen. (Sure, this could be an outside activity - but it was 55F and rainy today.)

20190609_232530.jpg

Tonight's dinner was pecan-crusted salmon with a fennel-lovage butter sauce. My darling's plate included toast. The combination of toasted pecans and salmon is a winner. This was the first time I tried sweating fennel and lovage as an addition, but it seemed an easy way to add vegetables. It was a bit too heavy on the butter, but otherwise lovely with a simple squeeze of lemon to brighten the flavors. Even my darling, who is not a fan of salmon, liked it.

20190609_232624.jpg

I have one of those  pecan crackers.  Not used it too many times 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@Kim Shook, it certainly looks good.  It is always disappointing when you make something that doesn't live up to your expectations. 

I tried a few of her recipes when she first came on the scene  and found them all really basic and "underwhelming"

I've had the same experience overall with her stuff.  I've had better luck with her desserts, as long as I remember to back off the sugar a bit - they are almost always way too sweet.

• Like 4

Great looking meals everyone!!

Last night was asparagus butter (sautéed asparagus spears in butter and blitzed to make a sauce) tossed with pasta and par-cooked asparagus slivers; lamb chops and zucchini salad from A16.  The salad was very refreshing.  Used the first zucchini of the year.  It is a very simple recipe.  Slice the zucchini thinly, salt and let sit for 20 minutes then rinse and pat dry.  Mix with sliced green olives, parsley, mint, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.

DSC03073.thumb.jpg.7e06fa741b352503da5f653a657817cb.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

57 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

I have one of those  pecan crackers.  Not used it too many times 

It is definitely easier to buy shelled pecans! However, I  have a weakness for local foods picked up during our travels, and that includes fresh pecans. They also keep better in the shell.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Used the first zucchini of the year.  It is a very simple recipe.  Slice the zucchini thinly, salt and let sit for 20 minutes then rinse and pat dry.  Mix with sliced green olives, parsley, mint, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.

I need to remember this.  Right up my alley.  I'm sure I'll forget so when I post in a  couple months that I want to find the zuke recipe with the olives will you remind me lol?

• Thanks 1

IMG_0275.thumb.JPG.c581fb26b90aeb9ef77184cbc1006550.JPGIMG_0276.thumb.JPG.3a3c6a384a57ad50a84a8793297c7f75.JPGIMG_0272.thumb.JPG.137f8e1978528595cfb141e7cbaff9c8.JPGIMG_0273.thumb.JPG.c7908b329b8f2690855a44320ed8b8d1.JPGKielbasa, scalloped potatoes, garlic / parmesan / butter and lemon, foil pouch cooked asparagus (lemon juice goes on after removal from the foil).  This meal takes 1 and 1/2 hour and all goes into a 350 oven starting with the potatoes. The kielbasa goes in (also in foil) after an hour, followed by the asparagus packet, 25 minutes prior to serving. It works out well and can be prepped ahead of time.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 12

Dinner wasn't very pretty tonight
but Moe really enjoyed it.

I don't like scallops , but Moe does, so that is what I made him.

52833457_ScallopsJune12th20192.thumb.jpg.4a7968936d776dcc0cae91010ecbfe5e.jpg

A version of Coquilles Saint-Jacques.

1795133387_ScallopsJune12th2019.thumb.jpg.41fdf2faad0e9541c0087072b2666cc5.jpg

Normally I would have piped potatoes around the edge but I had some corn I wanted to use so I made an old favourite individual light corn custards.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 12

My searches didn’t turn up the poster who first mentioned Michigan Beans but, fortunately, I had saved the recipe.

i've been looking for pantry friendly and simple casserole type foods that I can manage while recovering from my recent surgery and these beans are exactly what I was lookin for.

Still not easy to get to the store for special ingredients and can't manage too much effort yet.

The beans are in my crockpot now and they smell wonderful.  I’m really looking forward to dinner (with a Subway salad alongside.

• Like 5