• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Oka, is mentioning the (as YOU call it) Raptor's game on this forum akin to venturing into politics?    Do I need to alert a moderator?    You and I seem to get along very well when we avoid basketball.   

That said, I have no idea what we'll have tonight, since the temp will be in the mid-90s, while we watch the Warriors trounce a team from the north.    Bon Apetite, and regardless of whom, an extraordinary team will win.  

It is borderline but it was in reference to why I wanted something with no fuss for dinner.  😉

And, I might point out, I refrained from any grand standing about who might win.😎

Ok, that's it. 😍  May the best team win in a fairly called game.

• Like 3

@Shelby

I have never had or cooked catfish.  I must first say I am not a fan of fish...it's the texture that gets me.  I did notice in the fish case some fresh catfish.  They looked pretty good but I have no idea how to prepare them....my DH is a fish fan and I would make them for him.

Do you need to skin it?  I wonder how fresh these catfish could be?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@Shelby

I have never had or cooked catfish.  I must first say I am not a fan of fish...it's the texture that gets me.  I did notice in the fish case some fresh catfish.  They looked pretty good but I have no idea how to prepare them....my DH is a fish fan and I would make them for him.

Do you need to skin it?  I wonder how fresh these catfish could be?  

Definitely skin it.  They were whole catfish in the fish case?    Did it say if they were farm raised?  I'd guess they were.....

I guess the easiest would be to have the person behind the counter skin and get the filets out.  I love catfish.  

It was a whole catfish.  It was farm raised..not sure where.

I don't think the SuperStore offers fishmonger services so I would have to do it myself.

If they appear again I will try one.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Local farm stand had their own strawberries, shelling peas, broccoli and asparagus.  Using the shelling peas with carrots to make … peas and carrots.  Bison meatloaf and baked sweet potatoes for dinner tonight.   The asparagus will be steamed to go into pasta and shrimp.  Half will be  roasted.  I want to steam the broccoli  and top it with browned butter.

The strawberries look gorgeous and I think I will share them with a friend.  All I need is to slice them up, add some toast dope, serve with some sour cream and top with aged balsamic for a dessert.  It reminds me of my mom as her birthday was 17 June and we picked quarts and quarts of strawberries as her "birthday cake" with the family was strawberry shortcake made with Bisquick biscuits...(we did have angel food cake for Aunt Honey...she didn't like the biscuits).

• Like 8

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

37 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

The strawberries ... All I need is to slice them up, add some toast dope,...

It reminds me of my mom ...her "birthday cake" with the family was strawberry shortcake made with Bisquick biscuits.

I had no idea what toast dope was but found this recipe.    Is this similar to what you use?

1/4 cup raw sugar (big crystals are good!)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon (I used Penzey's Vietnamese)
Zest of 1 large orange
8 fine gratings of nutmeg

And scratch-made biscuits sweetened with a couple of spoons of sugar were our shortcake routine.     Sponge cake and angel food were for city folks.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

11 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I had no idea what toast dope was but found this recipe.    Is this similar to what you use?

1/4 cup raw sugar (big crystals are good!)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon (I used Penzey's Vietnamese)
Zest of 1 large orange
8 fine gratings of nutmeg

And scratch-made biscuits sweetened with a couple of spoons of sugar were our shortcake routine.     Sponge cake and angel food were for city folks.

Right now Johnnybird's Toast Dope has no white sugar and has allspice, lemon zest and lime zest... and funnily enough some pink salt .  Who knows what will show up in the next iteration?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Definitely skin it.  They were whole catfish in the fish case?    Did it say if they were farm raised?  I'd guess they were.....

I guess the easiest would be to have the person behind the counter skin and get the filets out.  I love catfish.  

Two years ago in the North Carolina Smokies we stopped for lunch at a busy place that had tables outside on a bridge that spanned a babbling brook. It was lovely. I had pan fried catfish for the first and only time and it seemed super fresh and delicious. I pretended it came out the creek, and didn't ask any questions. 

I see farmed catfish for sale, but never buy it. One thing I would do is ask for the source. My understanding is that catfish farmed in the US are a small percentage of the catfish sold here, and that most of it comes from Asia, which usually means China.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Two years ago in the North Carolina Smokies we stopped for lunch at a busy place that had tables outside on a bridge that spanned a babbling brook. It was lovely. I had pan fried catfish for the first and only time and it seemed super fresh and delicious. I pretended it came out the creek, and didn't ask any questions. 

I see farmed catfish for sale, but never buy it. One thing I would do is ask for the source. My understanding is that catfish farmed in the US are a small percentage of the catfish sold here, and that most of it comes from Asia, which usually means China.

You bring up interesting and important points.    While I am not a militantly local or fresh (vs frozen) shopper, it is worthwhile asking your supplier the source and even Googling to find out methods of production and harvesting.    There are better and "worser" producers and countries of production.   For instance, differences can affect pesticide, antibiotic, preservative exposure.

ETA, price differences can be startling.    Like the difference between a Sonoma bunny and a Chinese bunny.    You need to know the difference in order to choose what you demand or are willing to accept.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

The ingredients for this recipe for Japanese Beef Tataki came from A Moveable Feast recipe but the preparation differed somewhat in that I did not make it with rare beef and did not slice it as thin as the original and did not use garnishes. We had it with steamed rice and cucumber kimchi.The  picture came out somewhat dark. I tried to lighten it as much as I could. 

20190610_165644.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Let's get this straight.   I'm a Central Coast girl.   Comfortable temp is 65F.   So our recent and very unseasonable 90s are killing me.   

Tonight, cold vegetable soup.  Zucchini, green onion, celery hearts, spring green lettuces.

2024771152_photo3.thumb.JPG.f260329176b4c25703a14bc83fc1a8e8.JPG

Quesadilla "Katmandu": with oaxacan cheese, green onion, cilantro, green chili sauce, curry, apricot chutney = bottom layer.

1236469250_photo1-1.thumb.JPG.809246995e5f27ea6dd33c3a43446cd7.JPG

Covered and grilled.

327823315_photo4.thumb.JPG.26d1645d0987d8751264be382a2c07e4.JPG

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

eGullet member #80.

Hey all, first time poster here.  Made this a couple nights ago - Korean BBQ Beef, roasted zucchini and corn, scallions, and a mix of cilantro, spinach and watercress.  Put it over some noodles for a quick 20 minute dinner.

B2FFF56C-FAC3-409E-8FEA-FE016B394774.thumb.jpg.8b36de3c5128a4a0aa94d84a8acf8399.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

Dinner06112019.png

Kelvedon Wonder picked in the rain at twilight.  "To burst a pod of peas and eat them in the dark is a sweet joy." -- Nigel Slater

• Like 15

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It's not pretty, fancy or hard work but it was delicious, comforting and nostalgic. 

Jacket Potato with Beans & Cheese. 

A staple of my Uni diet.. but back then I made it in the Microwave - which resulted in a distinct lack of Jacket. 

20190608_185421.thumb.jpg.883a8beade72169b456194415e935a2c.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry
I can't spell for ... (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Last night's dinner - Gemelli pasta with oven roasted chicken breasts, smoked Pecorino Romano sauce, fresh basil, and red pepper flakes. If you’ve never smoked pasta sauce, I recommend it.  I just put the block of cheese on a piece of foil and put it in my smoker for about an hour.  Same thing with the pot of butter and cream for the sauce.

9526E115-09D8-4357-A095-436059C9D032.JPG

• Like 18

Following @Shelby's instructions for the most part, I made these chicken wings tonight.  They were labeled jumbo and  they were huge. .  The were cooked sous vide for 1 hour at 165 F, then marinated in buttermilk combined with a beaten egg.  They were then dredged in a flour mixture containing celery salt, black pepper hot paprika, and garlic salt.  I set the control freak to 350F and when the oil reached that temperature, fried them up.  Quite possibly the best chicken wings I have ever made.  Thank you, Shelby!

20190611_191000.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

30 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Following @Shelby's instructions for the most part, I made these chicken wings tonight.  They were labeled jumbo and  they were huge. .  The were cooked sous vide for 1 hour at 165 F, then marinated in buttermilk combined with a beaten egg.  They were then dredged in a flour mixture containing celery salt, black pepper hot paprika, and garlic salt.  I set the control freak to 350F and when the oil reached that temperature, fried them up.  Quite possibly the best chicken wings I have ever made.  Thank you, Shelby!

20190611_191000.jpg

Oh Elsie, those look SO dang GOOD!    I'm so glad you liked them.  I just knew you would.  Just glad I could pass along the good advice I've learned :) 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, benS said:

Hey all, first time poster here.  Made this a couple nights ago - Korean BBQ Beef, roasted zucchini and corn, scallions, and a mix of cilantro, spinach and watercress.  Put it over some noodles for a quick 20 minute dinner.

B2FFF56C-FAC3-409E-8FEA-FE016B394774.thumb.jpg.8b36de3c5128a4a0aa94d84a8acf8399.jpg

Welcome! I'd happily eat that with you. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

22 hours ago, benS said:

Looks yummy.  Welcome to the forum.

• Like 3

Really tired of this heatwave.    Realize that most of us don't have AC, often not even fans.   So, it's been really hot for three days.

Cool plate of mango

904916352_photo1-1.thumb.JPG.04d1226fc1ea4a5c0347d4c6f8d4bc4b.JPG

Small things: soy and wasabi develled egg, mushrooms and balsamic, scorched scallion, handful of potstickers, these latter found in the freezer, leftover from package DH opened for a lunch.

196690646_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.dd80a633588351a52039185e7b3a84dc.JPG.

• Like 12

eGullet member #80.