• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

15 hours ago, shain said:

You got it. I blended the eggs with whole peanuts, hence effectively creating ground peanuts. But peanut butter will do perfectly well.

Here's the recipe, for you to use as a baseline.

Thank you! Duly saved.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I really need to come to this topic BEFORE I go shopping, to remind me of things already in the freezer that need to be cooked. @Margaret Pilgrim, what is your shrimp-frying recipe/technique?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I really need to come to this topic BEFORE I go shopping, to remind me of things already in the freezer that need to be cooked. @Margaret Pilgrim, what is your shrimp-frying recipe/technique?

Very simple..    Dip in batter (wheat flour+ rice flour + seltzer water + any spice or seasonings you want),.    Fry until golden in HOT oil.    Drain.  

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

Back in food hell now. Last dinners on the island, the same food I often make at home (but without German Mettwurst, which are the.best.).

Herring with green beans and Speck. That's literally the name of this meal.

rGoo17u.jpg

Smoked Mettwurst

ICN6Xbx.jpg

2 kinds of Mettwurst and Speck.

ldTYWLS.jpg

On 6/6/2019 at 12:32 AM, chefmd said:

I wish I had a better acces to trocken Riesling, let alone a sparkling variety ;).  Not “I need to mail order it” but rather just getting it from the neighborhood store.  Cheers!

You must come to Germany! Start with Bremm. It will blow your mind. Try a bunch at one tasting place, walk to another and do it all over again. I am particularly fond of Riesling with predominant mineral characteristics, the slate rich soil in this area of the Mosel ("middle Mosel") gives the wine those slatey mineral notes. Brut Riesling (made in the style of Champagne) is hard to find even outside of Riesling producing villages and surrounding areas so forget about finding it elsewhere.

9GAIEJK.jpg

This is Bremm, one of the prettiest villages along to Mosel river. It has Europe's steepest vineyards and produces some of the most stunning Riesling.

KyFsDoV.jpg

I got a few to take home. (One of far left is actually from Netherlands but bottled in Germany)

8PV4sjo.jpg

• Like 16

On 5/31/2019 at 7:52 PM, gfweb said:

SV Flat Iron Steak (130F, 3 hrs) with basil cream sauce and pepperoncini, papardelle,  and broccolini

699.thumb.jpg.ef906eb774625a428b440c1b496a8132.jpg

Hi!  Got a couple of questions about this.  I'm typing up your directions and want to make sure that I find out what I need to know before too long.  First - do you know the approximate weight of the flat iron steak?  And also, I don't usually have the powdered bouillon - do you think it would be ok to use Better Than Bouillon?  Thanks so much.  I am looking forward to making this soon!

20 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Hi!  Got a couple of questions about this.  I'm typing up your directions and want to make sure that I find out what I need to know before too long.  First - do you know the approximate weight of the flat iron steak?  And also, I don't usually have the powdered bouillon - do you think it would be ok to use Better Than Bouillon?  Thanks so much.  I am looking forward to making this soon!

The steak was a little over a pound. More than needed for two, but I sliced it thin 😏.

Better than bullion would be great. I almost used it but the Goya was only 1 step away. 

• Thanks 1

I have finally, with the assistance of the local farmer's market, cooked a meal. Here's what I had to work with:

20190608_084318.thumb.jpg.8f4cd336c4c1e9351aa55f5ecb781286.jpg

I baked the pork chops on a rack over the new potatoes.

20190609_141331.thumb.jpg.d199a7477c70d13fda7c66616a5c9a45.jpg20190609_141340.thumb.jpg.f2a274762cc132a32fac9ec55858e7d9.jpg

Sauteed the yellow squash with onion.

20190609_141334.thumb.jpg.64cd3c55ef072310e71106906c8e4c0e.jpg

Fried the zucchini slices in seasoned flour.

20190609_141325.thumb.jpg.ed4296159597d408cd6430931dae6fc1.jpg

Made a salad with the peas and asparagus; dressed it with serrano honey vinegar and olive oil. Sliced a Carolina Gold tomato.

Prep takes longer in the new kitchen.  It wants a touch of reorganization. But at least I remembered the basics.

• Like 19
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Pan seared dry sea scallops, salad of yellow tomato and cuke, packaged green curry rice. Boy, there is nothing tastier than the fond from scallops seared in butter. Shellfish caramel.

• Like 8

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Pasta with asparagus

fullsizeoutput_3ba2.thumb.jpeg.abb8c264e4db71cc221233ac2bba2c02.jpeg

Based on the Tagliatelle with Asparagus and Parmesan Fonduta from A Girl and her Greens (recipe available online here)

I wonder if she'd really bother with a bain marie if she were preparing the dish herself?  I was/am tempted, as I brought home some lovely asparagus this afternoon.  But I have no crème fraiche, not something that I keep on hand.  I'd substitute heavy cream, myself.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I wonder if she'd really bother with a bain marie if she were preparing the dish herself?  I was/am tempted, as I brought home some lovely asparagus this afternoon.  But I have no crème fraiche, not something that I keep on hand.  I'd substitute heavy cream, myself.

I made this in part to use up some faux crème fraîche (heavy cream incubated with kefir) and followed the double boiler instructions because I've had that stuff break on heating.  Cooking for one or two, if I do this again, I'd just put the bowl over the pot that's cooking the pasta

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Over on the Provincetown thread there was an asparagus butter sauce eaten at one of the meals....apparently butter and asparagus....so just made some and it is delicious.  I just simmered asparagus....more tips than stalks...in butter and blitzed it.  I will be using it on homemade pasta this week.  Very asparagus foreword.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Pasta with asparagus

fullsizeoutput_3ba2.thumb.jpeg.abb8c264e4db71cc221233ac2bba2c02.jpeg

Based on the Tagliatelle with Asparagus and Parmesan Fonduta from A Girl and her Greens (recipe available online here)

This recipe and your improved interpretation have legs.    I can see making it with other vegs than just asparagus.     Thanks MUCH!

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Some time ago, in another topic, @rotuts recommended a particular style of pecan cracker. I found one and bought it, and finally got around to trying it today. It worked well, once I decided that a plastic bag was needed to keep shells from flying all over the kitchen. (Sure, this could be an outside activity - but it was 55F and rainy today.)

20190609_232530.jpg

Tonight's dinner was pecan-crusted salmon with a fennel-lovage butter sauce. My darling's plate included toast. The combination of toasted pecans and salmon is a winner. This was the first time I tried sweating fennel and lovage as an addition, but it seemed an easy way to add vegetables. It was a bit too heavy on the butter, but otherwise lovely with a simple squeeze of lemon to brighten the flavors. Even my darling, who is not a fan of salmon, liked it.

20190609_232624.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

A couple of dinners from last week.

Porterhouse shared with DH; asparagus/red pepper/green onion from the CSO and frites from the air fryer.

DSC03065.thumb.jpg.4f37903a0f8f3fc914903014b9c4ec1c.jpg

Teriyaki chicken leg out of the air fryer/ steamed asparagus from the CSO/ corn and refried rice and peas with some Indo spices topped with pineapple and fried shallots (from a jar).  I overcooked the chicken.   That air fryer is very quick and caught me off guard.  Too many sporting events to watch around dinner time easily distracts me.  Something from the freezer tonight for the Raptors game!

Edited to add:  Just took out some Gumbo and Grits for tonight.  Can't wait.  Yum.  Chicken and Andouille.

DSC03062.thumb.jpg.7b3bac177dc555dab6cad21af8f04a46.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 11

Oka, is mentioning the (as YOU call it) Raptor's game on this forum akin to venturing into politics?    Do I need to alert a moderator?    You and I seem to get along very well when we avoid basketball.   

That said, I have no idea what we'll have tonight, since the temp will be in the mid-90s, while we watch the Warriors trounce a team from the north.    Bon Apetite, and regardless of whom, an extraordinary team will win.  

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

More of those wonderful beef steaks Saturday night, with garden asparagus and cheese sauce

IMG_6344.JPG.b0f7873232c6d1d96d577683eb765a96.JPG

IMG_6345.jpg.be3844351fa763c3489edd31d999026e.jpg

Last night I fried up some catfish that Ronnie caught along with the first of the mustard greens from the garden

thumbnail_IMG_6362.jpg.a479a6dc070dd69dcbb6fe590c0faeef.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6363.jpg.37cc68cc00cfaa9396a244583867f709.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2