• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Ive seen it called dorado on the east coast. 

I've seen mahi-mahi -- I've never had it!

(Never seen nor had dorado though.)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner06062019.png

From Cook's Illustrated, Tuscan Grilled Pork Ribs, otherwise known as rosticciana.  For me this was an unknown preparation.  Pork spareribs, with the silverskin removed*, seasoned only with rosemary and salt, grilled over high heat.  Now my favorite sparerib recipe.  Who would have known?

*what a pain but it was but worth it.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner06062019.png

From Cook's Illustrated, Tuscan Grilled Pork Ribs, otherwise known as rosticciana.  For me this was an unknown preparation.  Pork spareribs, with the silverskin removed*, seasoned only with rosemary and salt, grilled over high heat.  Now my favorite sparerib recipe.  Who would have known?

When I take the silverskin off, I wrap a piece of paper towel around the starting point on the narrow end and it pulls right off.  It was a pain to do it without the towel.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner06062019.png

I grab it from the small end using a paper towel to hold it. I can usually pull it off in one piece. 

• Like 5

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Garlic scapes are a gourmet early summer treat.  But I have been disappointed buying them from farmers markets. Because the scapes are sold buy weight, so the sellers tend to pick them late and the scapes can get fibery; unless you grow your own.

dcarch

Shrimps  on garlic scapes from my garden.

1510690045_garlicpatch2019.thumb.JPG.ea7c7618a2f37a7c381269da31c4aa47.JPG

1500746494_garlicscape2019.thumb.jpg.cff7a1d16cf508b63548d652479e5f5a.jpg

931199511_Scapeshrimps2019.thumb.JPG.ae93a4a6a510139b9309b112d1fdcc78.JPG

1181357394_Scapeshrimps2019b.thumb.jpg.84520fab5ca36411b5f87bfc9e4aa6f1.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

6 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Was the meat really chewy?

Yes, but in a good way!  Didn't bother my teeth at all.  At worst the ribs were a mess to gnaw.  Laundry while eGulleting.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Garlic scapes are a gourmet early summer treat.  But I have been disappointed buying them from farmers markets. Because the scapes are sold buy weight, so the sellers tend to pick them late and the scapes can get fibery; unless you grow your own.

dcarch

Shrimps  on garlic scapes from my garden.

1181357394_Scapeshrimps2019b.thumb.jpg.84520fab5ca36411b5f87bfc9e4aa6f1.jpg

Stunning!

eGullet member #80.

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

When I take the silverskin off, I wrap a piece of paper towel around the starting point on the narrow end and it pulls right off.  It was a pain to do it without the towel.

The ribs I found were presliced.  I still had to remove the sternum and stuff as well as the silverskin from each rib.  Which invites the question, what to do with the sternum and stuff?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The ribs I found were presliced.  I still had to remove the sternum and stuff as well as the silverskin from each rib.  Which invites the question, what to do with the sternum and stuff?

Stock or cook it along with the ribs for a cook's treat. 

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

9 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Stock or cook it along with the ribs for a cook's treat. 

More likely it will end up getting pitched.

• Sad 1

A friend who is a professional baker and is from a defunct cooking site and occasional visitor to a small group of people who used to be there, posted a King Arthur recipe called Japanese Milk Bread rolls. I tried it today and chose a chicken in a packet recipe to go with it. The bread was good but I plan to make some small changes next time.  

20190606_164034.jpg

• Like 11

20 hours ago, gfweb said:

Ive seen it called dorado on the east coast

Also called Dolphin Fish here in Australia.

Stunning and delicious.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

6FA2791F-C643-4689-8853-7A14194AA8D8.thumb.jpeg.d33ed7fe84f24444c9be7c87761ee1df.jpeg

Pan Seared Duck Breast with Crash Hot Potato and Buttered Green Peas

Nice looking duck breast.    Love the potato treatment.    And peas, well,  how can you go wrong with fresh peas!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

Braised celery

1124584108_photo1.thumb.JPG.f2da6595d97e113984e944a959b12502.JPG

Totally wrong cheese and chili enchiladas, weird combination of cheeses, red sauce, goat cheese, sour cream.    So unorthodox, but very forgiving.   Delicious, with apologies to Mexican grandmas.

615598446_photo2.thumb.JPG.0c66e6c21c42874c64dcf5083bcf36e2.JPG

412066996_photo3.thumb.JPG.68bee30f7024cd0b75fdea50cb60b08a.JPG

• Like 9

eGullet member #80.

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Margaret Pilgrim  I only ever eat celery in things like a stew or in a mirepoix.  Can you tell me how you did yours?

Poached in dilute chicken broth until tender-crisp.    Than dress as you please.     Even Caesar.    I was lazy with only EVOO and vinegar.    What sounds good to you?

eGullet member #80.

I've spent about the last ten days battling a summer cold and having little appetite. I have managed to make something each day, but it's been basic, survival food. Last night I felt there may be an end in sight and was determined to make something worth eating. As most of us do in those situations I hit on a personal comfort food which is tasty but relatively easy to make.

I've posted versions* of this more than once, but make no apology.

Pork tenderloin cubes marinated in olive oil and lemon juice with garlic and crushed coriander seeds, then fried. Rice. tomato and basil salad (the first of this summer's balcony basil), simply dressed with more olive oil and sea salt.

dinner1.thumb.jpg.3f389ba41a22be11027a35e208d7e548.jpg

dinner2.thumb.jpg.73049a71371bb611b69fa3ef7beb1adc.jpg

dinner3.thumb.jpg.c41ee328d74afe6cd507defded4d3e2a.jpg

* not iterations, dammit!

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto