• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

20 minutes ago, Dante said:

Tonight's dinner:Chicken Piccata over rice with fiddleheads and baby carrots added.Orange slices on the side.

62100871_1079608915565484_2737710118379454464_n.jpg

I envy you your fiddleheads.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I miss grilling *SIGH*

A new favorite around here chicken with carrots in sauce served with jasmine rice and peas.

I'm craving meatballs so will make and serve with pasta and gravy.  Leftovers for meatball subs.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Baked a blueberry pie yesterday morning for dessert.

1705305194_BlueberryPieJune3rd2019.thumb.jpg.ff08fe8c46635fb527adf184dd212d19.jpg

We ended up going out for lunch and Moe didn't want much for dinner so 

346773851_BlueberryPieJune3rd20191.thumb.jpg.8d21d1c36bc08cabe7c899ea9dcd159e.jpg

we just had pie and ice cream.

Nice.   And that ice cream looks pretty special, too.

eGullet member #80.

Pan-roasted vegetables drizzled with smoked and regular olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then joined by slices of a spicy sausage for the last part of the roast. Leftover potatoes from a ham dinner were warmed separately and added at the table, along with the ham juice.

20190605_071550.jpg

My food photography isn't up to snuff, but this dinner is so easy and delicious it's worthy of note. It has become part of our regular rotation. It's forgiving, too: the tomatoes, corn and ramps were all past their prime, but they were a nice addition to the mix and the roasting process brought out their fading flavor.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Was intrigued by this WSJ article/recipe.  

photo-1.thumb.JPG.a5eb6d31ca884a489ea21e691037ae04.JPG

Cucumber Louis starter.

893963359_photo1.thumb.JPG.2b7b53793a077d5113e83dc00bc66f85.JPG

In the pan

photo.thumb.JPG.76632bb499ff3969179b77138bb1cda9.JPG

Plated

803592534_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.86e4b344678e5697a5e953ed2ac03594.JPG

I liked this a lot.   

I had one in Hoi An (in central Vietnam, from where they originate).  It was very tasty, but I don't know if I'd bother making it at home... but it was a nice cheap snack. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

Pan-roasted vegetables drizzled with smoked and regular olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then joined by slices of a spicy sausage for the last part of the roast. Leftover potatoes from a ham dinner were warmed separately and added at the table, along with the ham juice.

20190605_071550.jpg

My food photography isn't up to snuff, but this dinner is so easy and delicious it's worthy of note. It has become part of our regular rotation. It's forgiving, too: the tomatoes, corn and ramps were all past their prime, but they were a nice addition to the mix and the roasting process brought out their fading flavor.

Looks delicious, that's right up my alley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@gfweb – you are so inspirational!  I did your pork loin with apple and mustard and now I plan on doing your flat iron.  Care to share your sauce recipe? 

@shain – those are some gorgeous bagels!  I promised myself that when I retired, I was going to learn to make bagels.  @Panaderia Canadiense even sent me precise directions, but I haven’t done it yet.  You’ve given me a push.  I need to dig out that recipe!

@Margaret Pilgrim – your shrimp post is one of the things I’ve always loved about eG.  I love the backstories of our food and cooking experiences.  I love hearing about how friends and families and travel influence us.  Thank you for including that in your post.  It elevates my experience here.

@robirdstx – can you tell me a little about that avocado salsa?  We are not huge avocado fans, but I love guac and Mr. Kim loves salsa. 

@Ann_T  is that coq au vin the same one as on your blog?  I

Last Saturday, we went to Sugar’s Crab Shack in Richmond for dinner.  It is a tiny little walk up place (we seem to remember the building was once a Rally’s) and the folks that own it also own one of our favorite fish places, the Croaker Spot.    Jessica’s soft shell sandwich with cornbread and wonderful mac and cheese:

20190601_192616.jpg.f7591dd31ba59fb9f38514210a90a071.jpg

20190601_192620.jpg.d53168a2d0ef20439978755b14733596.jpg

My fried shrimp and a side of soft shell:

20190601_192624.jpg.2bde98a89da52277c24f217630bc793b.jpg

20190601_192626.jpg.584e600ff91a3671d297a4468c9b2447.jpg

The shrimp were huge and perfectly cooked.  The soft shells were a bit small and a little too watery, but still sweet and the coating was light and brittle and perfect.  Mr. Kim got the catfish:

20190601_192636.jpg.e4366a9b15a647e23cb835c40a361671.jpg

Lovely.  Everything was perfectly cooked and pristine.  We’ll be back.

The next night was my leftovers from our last three meals out:

DSCN9680.JPG.91677965afe058d0cd6b8ce4dbe563d1.JPG

Fried shrimp from Sugar’s (I stripped off the breading – it doesn’t reheat well), the shrimp and andouille from a shrimp and grits brunch meal and honey shrimp from our favorite Chinese place.  I guess it isn’t hard to tell what my favorite food is!

On Monday, I traveled down to Reidsville NC to visit my grandmother.  She had been in a rehab hospital, but really went downhill and has been transferred to hospice.  She’s stopped eating and drinking and mostly sleeps now.  It was a sad visit, but I’m glad that I was able to be with her.  She opened her eyes a few times during the two days I was there and smiled at me.  I can always talk, so I shared my memories of spending summers on their farm and telling her that she was the  inspiration for my love of cooking.  My other two grandmothers (she is actually my step grandmother) hardly cooked at all and Grandma Jean certainly did. 

I had dinner Monday night at the BBQ place both my mother and I grew up going to – Short Sugar’s.  It is the BBQ that I judge all other’s by.  I know I’ve talked about it before.  Started with the Champagne of the South:

DSCN9681.thumb.JPG.0ab5437372965401290471ffeb4b735e.JPG

Some people think CoCola is, but I beg to differ.

Chopped sandwich w/ slaw and crinkle cut fries:

DSCN9682.JPG.6eb64e28240068959494b50ce3b64d5a.JPG

DSCN9683.JPG.a37e6efc6fba363393beb71e28cb6a3a.JPG

The truly unique thing about Short Sugar’s is their sauce.  It doesn’t compare to any other sauce anywhere.  It is thin and dark like Worcestershire, slightly sweet and addictive.  It is in squeeze bottles on the table and I give each bite a shot.  I buy this a gallon at a time every few months and can it when I get it home. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Hi @Kim Shook It’s more like a chunky guacamole, than a true salsa.

Avocado Salsa

- 2 ripe avocados - peeled, pitted and diced

- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced

- 1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped

- 1/4 cup red onion, diced

- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice

- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Directions:

In a bowl, gently stir together all ingredients. 

Do not mash the avocados. 

Cover and chill for at least one hour so that flavors can meld.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @Kim Shook .

The basil cream sauce was improvised at the last minute.it was nice  I’d do it again. Here is what I recall...

saute fine diced garlic clove in oil for a few moments...add some  “Goya powdered chicken flavored bullion”dissolved in 1/4 cup water and simmer for a few minutes...strain out garlic and return liquid to sauce pan

add 1 tbsp basil pesto from a jar...maybe more...add 1/2 cup heavy cream and simmer a few minutes. IIRC I added more pesto....

i whisked in grated parmesan about 1...maybe two tbsp

the volumes of broth and cream may be high...the final product was able to coat a spoon with some thickness. 

Apologies for the imprecision. 

8 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Thanks @Kim Shook .

The basil cream sauce was improvised at the last minute.it was nice  I’d do it again. Here is what I recall...

saute fine diced garlic clove in oil for a few moments...add some  “Goya powdered chicken flavored bullion”dissolved in 1/4 cup water and simmer for a few minutes...strain out garlic and return liquid to sauce pan

add 1 tbsp basil pesto from a jar...maybe more...add 1/2 cup heavy cream and simmer a few minutes. IIRC I added more pesto....

i whisked in grated parmesan about 1...maybe two tbsp

the volumes of broth and cream may be high...the final product was able to coat a spoon with some thickness. 

Apologies for the imprecision. 

No apology needed.  Seems pretty clear to me!  Thank you for this.  

@robirdstx - thank you for the recipe.  We'll love that, I know!

Dinners on a a traffic-free island in the North Sea. Brought smoked eel and halibut from the town I visited previously.

Smoked halibut with potatoes and kale. Actually, the food I've been eating this week is pretty much like what I usually eat at home, which is nice.

245930y.jpg

The sparkling Riesling also came with me from the mainland.

vgUt5jI.jpg

The partner scoffs at eels but loves the halibut.

VfafOx1.jpg

This is only half the eel. The locals eat a whole one each, using their hands bringing the eel to their faces. This type of rye bread is traditionally eaten alongside smoked eels.

FYpaYey.jpg

A brewery just across the water on the mainland brews this beer for the island.

y9sJfOd.jpg

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T  is that coq au vin the same one as on your blog?  I

@Kim Shook,  No I used a different recipe.  One I found on BBC Food Recipes.   I wanted to make one with white wine rather than red and this one was almost cooked in the oven.

I just added it to the blog.  Here is the link.  Coq au Vin Blanc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

Dinners on a a traffic-free island in the North Sea. Brought smoked eel and halibut from the town I visited previously.

Smoked halibut with potatoes and kale. Actually, the food I've been eating this week is pretty much like what I usually eat at home, which is nice.

245930y.jpg

The sparkling Riesling also came with me from the mainland.

vgUt5jI.jpg

The partner scoffs at eels but loves the halibut.

VfafOx1.jpg

This is only half the eel. The locals eat a whole one each, using their hands bringing the eel to their faces. This type of rye bread is traditionally eaten alongside smoked eels.

FYpaYey.jpg

A brewery just across the water on the mainland brews this beer for the island.

y9sJfOd.jpg

I wish I had a better acces to trocken Riesling, let alone a sparkling variety ;).  Not “I need to mail order it” but rather just getting it from the neighborhood store.  Cheers!

• Like 1