• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

hryXLxd.jpg

I call it chicken soupy rice. Could be arroz con pollo, I guess.  But lots of Spanish spices in there. And it's bomba rice. 

Green salad and sautéed asparagus accompanied.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

36 minutes ago, weinoo said:

hryXLxd.jpg

I call it chicken soupy rice. Could be arroz con pollo, I guess.  But lots of Spanish spices in there. And it's bomba rice. 

Green salad, and sautéed asparagus accompanied.

Do you need kitchen help?    Dog walking, no, no, cat walking?    Windows washed?     Me need this food.    Name barter price.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

4 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Is your spaetzle made with RAMPS?     I am tasting your plate right now!

Confession time: I didn't make the spaetzle. It's a dried pasta product that I saw in a Big Lots and decided to buy on a whim. The pasta is from Germany, so it's probably not made with ramps. According to the ingredient label, they used "wild garlic powder," whatever that means. It did taste pretty good though.

IMG_2487.thumb.jpg.2a1a88795b86b030a3f34fb9c0719d6c.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

Edited by chord (log)
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, chord said:

The pasta is from Germany, so it's probably not made with ramps

Not with ramps (allium tricoccum), but with its very close cousin “Bärlauch” (allium ursinum). Having tasted both I’d say that they taste pretty similar, and I used to use Bärlauch for ramps while living in Germany ...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, chord said:

Confession time: I didn't make the spaetzle. It's a dried pasta product that I saw in a Big Lots and decided to buy on a whim. The pasta is from Germany, so it's probably not made with ramps. According to the ingredient label, they used "wild garlic powder," whatever that means. It did taste pretty good though.

IMG_2487.thumb.jpg.2a1a88795b86b030a3f34fb9c0719d6c.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

Fair enough.   Do YOU need kitchen help, cat walker, etc?       I'm easy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

Enchiladas. Filled with spinach and cheeses bound with eggs. Chipolata and tomato sauce, with cheese, toasted coriander, dried sweet chilies. Sour cream sauce with green chili, cilantro, spinach, lemon zest and oregano. Goat milk feta.

Enchil.jpg

IMG_20190509_203241.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

@shain  Looks and sounds good. I'd add crisp radishes, maybe quick pickled onion, lime wedges and a small bowl of extra green sauce to unite the rice and beans. I want it all ;)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, heidih said:

@shain  Looks and sounds good. I'd add crisp radishes, maybe quick pickled onion, lime wedges and a small bowl of extra green sauce to unite the rice and beans. I want it all ;)

We actually did have more of the sauce and feta to supplement, and also some pickled chilies.

I store a jar of salted vinegar and sliced chilies in the fridge. I simply add more chilies when needed, and never allow it to get empty :P

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

My most recent dinners are not at home even though I actually cooked them. I brought with me a couple of things from home knowing the town would be closed all day. Both the tofu and asparagus were steamed. The red stuff is prawn roe .

TQsw3P3.jpg

y63GhnO.jpg

Local rye bread

DJ6ow3B.jpg

I even brought a bunch of beer from home.

1AQ9Nwz.jpg

Today: sharp daikon, Duroc pork loin and new potatoes.

h8Kjkbl.jpg

Rarely eat pork at home unless it's Iberico, Berkshire, or some interesting and higher-welfare breed. This one is Duroc from a farm in north Germany (where I'm on holiday at the moment).

hRP0l0E.jpg

Smoked Speck to render the fat for the cooking.

VjB049I.jpg

Daikon and tops were stir-fried with Speck.

QmWFbQx.jpg

Found a drink shop today and picked up a few German craft beers. This one is brewed in a small town 16km from here by 2 hobby brewers. Label is home-printed. I've just read that the whole family helps with bottling, labelling and things like that.

0sVxHRW.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 10

So I opened a can.    But it was a can husband insisted on bringing home.

1917800654_photo1-1.thumb.JPG.5eb45c64e0a90ea786083d71a1c11db3.JPG

Reflets of France is a reliable brand that you find in supermarkets' local products section.     All I did was move to a baking dish

1280876841_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.4eebd13dcf2014ab0495adcb98d562b7.JPG

top with crumbs sauted with garlic and parsley

1258348719_photo3-1.thumb.JPG.b9df94b901d0013b56b25ddd28b1087c.JPG

Bake for half hour at 400F to achieve crusty casserole.    Was impressed with the good quality (Tarbais) beans, large chunk confit and two sausages.   Decent seasonings      Can said it served 2, but leftovers will be lunch for at least one, maybe 2.

1290800013_photo5-1.thumb.JPG.580bf801f4c09786c1b2a6feb573af4f.JPG.

Drowning out husband's objections, also put sauted greens on the table.753284981_photo4-1.thumb.JPG.b1e9d8e8b164a6c91b8104137c0c2e18.JPG

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

So, something you'll often hear in my house that I suspect you wouldn't best at anybody else's: "I am so freaking sick of mahi-mahi! If I have to eat another steak of that fish I am going to go crazy." #tropicalproblems

Mahi-mahi is, in general, one of the least expensive fish I can buy (around $3.50/lb) and as a result we do eat an awful lot of it. However, because there's obviously such a thing as too much, last night's dinner was a step back.

I give you... Popcorn merluza!

IMG_20190531_192513.jpg

• Like 11

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

苦瓜牛肉片 (kǔ guā niú ròu piàn) - Beef with bitter melon.

Beef marinated in Shaoxing wine then stir fried with with garlic, shallots, chilli, bitter melon, scallions and soy sauce. Rice.

kugua1.thumb.jpg.74b91062d5fe58838507a87325f31d85.jpg

kugua2.thumb.jpg.cfdc0f7e00224f89c954c7020d15b6e8.jpg

It was a particularly bitter bitter melon. This is a Good Thing!

!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, Panaderia Canadiense said:

So, something you'll often hear in my house that I suspect you wouldn't best at anybody else's: "I am so freaking sick of mahi-mahi! If I have to eat another steak of that fish I am going to go crazy." #tropicalproblems

Mahi-mahi is, in general, one of the least expensive fish I can buy (around $3.50/lb) and as a result we do eat an awful lot of it. However, because there's obviously such a thing as too much, last night's dinner was a step back.

I give you... Popcorn merluza!

IMG_20190531_192513.jpg

Regional differences are so interesting,     Mahi Mahi is a luxury where I live.     $15-20/lb,    But all fish is expensive here.    Even my favorite Asian seafood market has markedly raised prices over the past year.

eGullet member #80.

OK...the 3 bean salad became a 4 bean with chickpeas).

Pork tenderloin became shrimp tacos with home made mango salsa for John.

I'm happy with the bean salad over red leaf and romaine with some ricotta salata.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites