• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Happy New Dinner!

I spent a small fortune yesterday on a beautiful organic* chicken. Today decapitated and de-feeted it and slow poached it. It should feed me for a few meals, but I'm sitting now thinking it might end up being eaten later tonight - just by me.

It's sitting resting now, and I'm going to be adding the neck and head to the poaching medium for stock. The extra fat was removed and will shortly be rendered for purposes yet unknown, The gizzard and kidney will be the chef's reward.

pc1.thumb.jpg.c21a50c210724d86bce10a804003dc1e.jpg

pc3.thumb.jpg.74bc54abc42f535dc156e57be2293473.jpg

* "Organic" has no legal definition here, but I've tried birds from this supplier before and they sure taste better. BTW, I have one Chinese good friend who, despite being fluent in English and French alongside her three Chinese languages, always gets a little confused about one linguistic point. A few years ago I cooked for her and she asked me,

"Is that an orgasmic chicken?"

I told her that I had tried my best, but it was up to her to decide!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

33 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Happy New Dinner!

I spent a small fortune yesterday on a beautiful organic* chicken. Today decapitated and de-feeted it and slow poached it. It should feed for a few meals, but I'm sitting now thinking I might end up being eaten later tonight - just by me.

It's sitting resting now, and I'm going to be adding the neck and head to the poaching medium for stock. The extra fat was removed and will shortly be rendered for purposes yet unknown, The gizzard and kidney will be the chef's reward.

pc1.thumb.jpg.c21a50c210724d86bce10a804003dc1e.jpg

pc3.thumb.jpg.74bc54abc42f535dc156e57be2293473.jpg

* "Organic" has no legal definition here, but I've tried birds from this supplier before and they sure taste better. BTW, I have one Chinese good friend who, despite being fluent in English and French alongside her three Chinese languages, always get a little confused about one thing. A few years ago I cooked for her and she asked me,

"Is that an orgasmic chicken?"

I told her that I had tried my best, but it was up to her to decide!

That is the kind of friend to have,

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Chicken Part 2

I removed the breasts from my orgasmic chicken, boiled some spuds and grilled some mushrooms. Simple dinner. Too cold to hang out in the kitchen any longer than strictly necessary. A fine bird.

Legs, wings and random bits are stowed in the warmest part of the house. The fridge.

ch1.thumb.jpg.e2d6ccb62c682306a5b18d849fb7ee3a.jpg

ch3.thumb.jpg.43ecd6928400885cf2ca0244307edf88.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I feel your pain. One of my restaurants was never intended for year-round use, and I had to put things in my coolers to keep them from freezing.

Needless to say, getting hot food out to the tables was also an interesting challenge.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

NYE Dinner w/ Kids, in Pajamas.  Excuse the lack of formalities and the ground cover. Our tradition is to make a lot of tasty nibbles and enjoy in front of the TV (my sister and I used to do this with my grandmother when we were kids, I am keeping the tradition alive with mine).

Clock'ish wise: Kiddy h20 bottle, adult beverage from a bottle, house cured gravlax and vodka smoked salmon, bourbon chopped liver, pickley things, per-requisite smoked oysters, various Gluten Free crackers, ketchup hardbite chips (kids pick), parma prosciutto, GF pizza crust w garlic oil, cheese plate (St Agur, cave aged gouda, Taleggio, rosemary crusted pecorino), hearts of palm salad, marinated bocconcini - towards the middle - Apricot Jam (some say I am odd - which I most likely am, but I love it with chopped liver), gravlax sauce (caper/dill/balsamic/honey/mustard), cherry gastrique, totally unnecessary duck pate (did not get touched) pickled red onions/capers (for the smoked salmon) Olives and peppers.

1840255847_NYTable.thumb.JPG.f49edb3318a0427b9252c15fb453190c.JPG

Leftovers being taken to my (aforementioned) 93 y/o grandmother to enjoy for lunch today.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Happy New Year!!!!

I hope every one had a great NYE.  We never go anywhere--and I like it that way.  Can't get a DUI going from the kitchen to the bedroom (well, not normally, anyway).

On to the food.

This is venison stew that I made the night before (2018 thread is closed so I'm posting here)

thumbnail_IMG_5739.jpg.6f1399d082b376bc9492b45513c6a730.jpg

For NYE we wanted a bit of everything....

Deviled eggs and pimento cheese

thumbnail_IMG_5740.jpg.77d6749cd4a4dc21b81128d0c5fe754b.jpg

Salad

thumbnail_IMG_5742.jpg.02887c96339b49d6663b5a6158d682d7.jpg

Oysters

thumbnail_IMG_5743.jpg.eb603f07e8d2b4a0e3dd0c869a6d61ca.jpg

Shrimp

thumbnail_IMG_5745.jpg.ab1ffb9b634d15191d5c4c9d7ace5f6c.jpg

Excellent cheese

thumbnail_IMG_5744.jpg.ee42fef4771bd2495acf06fc6f50c1fb.jpg

Boudin balls

thumbnail_IMG_5747.jpg.a97c5c381a91409f4b088c13e9ef94fe.jpg

And foie gras

thumbnail_IMG_5741.jpg.0a49d980c141aae4026941ee01c2390b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5746.jpg.7630366f24e00938513ad5ca4d31ebcc.jpg

Now, I'm off to google all the lucky foods you're supposed to eat on New Year's Day.  I already have my Rancho Gordo black eyed peas soaking.

After the year we had last year, I'm not taking any chances in the luck dept lol.

• Like 26

10 hours ago, Shelby said:

Happy New Year!!!!

I hope every one had a great NYE.  We never go anywhere--and I like it that way.  Can't get a DUI going from the kitchen to the bedroom (well, not normally, anyway).

When I was in the restaurant business, New Year's Eve was one of my least favorite nights of the year and ever since I left, I have celebrated by not celebrating and I like it that way too!

HC 

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@Kim Shook, you wrote about bread packed with meat and cheese here (with picture below). The recipe you provided used 2 cups Bisquick. Do you have an idea how to substitute flour (regular or bread) for the Bisquick?

Just google Bisquick sub like this https://kitchendreaming.com/bisquick-substitution/

It has leavening and some shortening in the flour

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New Years day dinner was the same as always, sort of.  The store had pork shanks. A brand I have had before. It was mostly bone with just a bite or two of pork. Pork not ham. So I got a nice sliced ham and cut the meaty small end off.  You know the end that is never sliced and hard to get at the meat. I have a butchers bone saw that I used to cut the bone. I cooked it with the black eyed peas and the meat just fell off the bone and tasted just like ham shanks or ham hocks, plus there was a lot more meat for future meals. We also had collards and cornbread. I cooked the collards like spinach- in a skillet with just a tiny bit of water instead of boiling it for a couple of hours, then added onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and the ham  and some bean water. I think I will do it that way in the future.   I hope everyone had a great NYE and will have a great new year

20190101_152210.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 20
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, mgaretz said:

New Year's Eve dinner was prime rib, slow roasted and lightly seared.  Served with artichokes made in the IP and dipping butter.

prime-rib-choke.jpg.ef770b3d33d9437dc9ac9241249e2bc8.jpg

What IP setting do you use for the artichokes?  Your dinner looks so delicious.

50 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@Kim Shook, you wrote about bread packed with meat and cheese here (with picture below). The recipe you provided used 2 cups Bisquick. Do you have an idea how to substitute flour (regular or bread) for the Bisquick?

image.png.90d7d55ee3dcd1725cda435984cc570d.png

Thanks for posting that link @heidih!  That is exactly what I would have suggested!

• Like 1

NYE dinner with cousins and friends. 

I brought Brined and Roasted Almonds from Six Seasons and a variation on @JAZ's Sweet & Spicy Walnuts using the Baharat from Shaya.  

The Tuscan Grape Bread from Diana Henry's How to Eat a Peach that I made previously and was less than thrilled with was thinly sliced, toasted and served with some Pt. Reyes Blue. 

fullsizeoutput_3904.thumb.jpeg.f79c9ea46d9977f00b5b48ea3f72b5fc.jpeg

I also made the Collard Dolmades with Sweet Potato Yogurt from Deep Run Roots.  Photo from a previous post:

IMG_4646.thumb.jpg.e656d53e98374ff13d64bd087f14a40a.jpg

My cousin made the Broiled oysters with arugula purée and Champagne sabayon from the New Year's Eve menu in The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook

fullsizeoutput_392a.thumb.jpeg.945464ef9185c883b0e970cfe3a229ee.jpeg 

At this point, we moved over to the dining room and my Champagne consumption increased so no more photos.  From the same Silver Palate menu as the oysters, my cousin made the Spinach & Bacon Salad with a warm Champagne Vinaigrette and the Nutted Wild Rice to accompany broiled lobster tails with garlic butter.

After a break, dessert was homemade lemon buttermilk sorbet and Christmas cookies. 

• Like 15
  • Delicious 4

I have to go back to work tomorrow for the first tome since December 20 😞  My house has been filled with people for the whole break, and so I was not able to get many pictures of things i cooked.  Here are a few things I made for my nephew.  Meatball sub

2119030053_meatballsub.thumb.jpg.d93a563a59466292db60cfa54564d2a6.jpg

chicken parm

111101778_chickenparm.thumb.jpg.be5a1579ff01b80333712443b340d3ce.jpg

prosciutto-gruyere-fig jam sandwich

1878195942_proscuittosandwich.thumb.jpg.3767614c6f703dc69a7745e63b64d038.jpg

Today was the big family New Year's linner.  I made spring roast chickens with preserved lemon from Ottolenghi's Simple

1603714844_chicken2.thumb.jpg.dd18361e01aab1c481d36f2065a0b1cc.jpg

a 16 lb ham, mashed potatoes, homemade rolls  (no pictures), and a delicata squash-brussels sprouts "salad" from Deb Perelman's Smitten Kitchen Every Day (with the pita bread omitted)

delicata.thumb.jpg.5afdf034235f95213af32326f4307568.jpg

Here's to another year of delicious dinners for all of us!

• Like 20
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, chefmd said:

What IP setting do you use for the artichokes?  Your dinner looks so delicious.

Yes, I wonder also. We talked about doing artichokes in the IP a bit over on the IP thread, but the truth is that the more artichokes I cook in the IP, the less sure I am about any real guidelines I can count on. Maybe it's just the variation in the artichokes but some smaller ones have still been uncooked after cooking for the same time as a larger one that was overcooked. I have almost given up and last time reverted to steaming in a regular stove-top pot so I could check/sample now and then.  😞

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

Yes, I wonder also. We talked about doing artichokes in the IP a bit over on the IP thread, but the truth is that the more artichokes I cook in the IP, the less sure I am about any real guidelines I can count on. Maybe it's just the variation in the artichokes but some smaller ones have still been uncooked after cooking for the same time as a larger one that was overcooked. I have almost given up and last time reverted to steaming in a regular stove-top pot so I could check/sample now and then.  😞

Daniel Gritzer over on Serious Eats mentioned the extreme variability of artichokes due to age/season/ His hilarious anecdote was having a combustible dry one actually spark as he cut into it. We do push seasons. 

13 minutes ago, heidih said:

Daniel Gritzer over on Serious Eats mentioned the extreme variability of artichokes due to age/season/ His hilarious anecdote was having a combustible dry one actually spark as he cut into it. We do push seasons. 

Oh, here. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/12/special-sauce-holiday-cooking-part-1.html

But my experience is huge variation in cooking times, even during prime season. 

9 hours ago, HungryChris said:

When I was in the restaurant business, New Year's Eve was one of my least favorite nights of the year and ever since I left, I have celebrated by not celebrating and I like it that way too!

HC 

I am right there with you on those sentiments...New Year's Eve AND Mother's day!

My poor kids still have nightmares as we all worked at the restaurant...

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hoping to get back to eating fewer carbs...Tonight, we had ginger-soy glazed pork chops, kale slaw, cheesy cauliflower gratin (with chopped jalapeno pepper and bell pepper), and carrots for hubby.

537348743_GingerSoyPorkChops8145.jpg.86957bb522f7e535a55284b6cc87fa72.jpg

• Like 17

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I’m afraid I don’t have anything but Christmas Eve and New Year’s day dinners.  Christmas night we ended up in the ER with my mother.  She was admitted and has been in the hospital since then.  So it’s been back and forth to there every day.  She’s improving and going into rehab care again.  Hoping to do some real cooking once all the leftovers are gone!

Christmas Eve – Ham:

DSCN8959.JPG.24a17b11c4d93863b114d6a3b107c1cf.JPG

Pineapple upside down biscuits:

DSCN8960.JPG.08e2c445ea14fb2656a89b4ebf92acb6.JPG

We made little sandwiches with the ham and these biscuits and they were wonderful.

Salad with bleu cheese dressing and my dad’s Paprika dressing:

DSCN8961.JPG.d07f06c5da54c604b8f87645321b6b39.JPG

DSCN8962.JPG.42ee224037abfbbf420e354b4bec84c2.JPG

Cheeses:

DSCN8963.JPG.26b206c4a1d73c05674cfe24c86dc772.JPG

There was also assorted crackers and rolls and sour cream cheddar potatoes.

New Year’s dinner – cornbread:

DSCN9025.JPG.f92120fb2cb10220ea01dd8cfea0d834.JPG

This was my great grandmother’s recipe that I’ve never tried before.  She was from New Orleans and her family had a cook, so she never learned to cook very well.  She was adored by her family, but everyone admits she couldn’t cook at all.  But her cornbread recipe was liked and remembered.  We liked it a lot.  Just a classic cornbread, but with a little sugar. 

Ham, scalloped tomatoes, black eyed peas and turnip greens with plenty of pot likker to dunk the cornbread in:

DSCN9028.thumb.JPG.18d81329910bf44d38caba17df089680.JPG

Scalloped tomatoes:

DSCN9026.JPG.2e4a6d9af4223c787641459e1a0b0193.JPG

Jessica’s serving:

DSCN9027.JPG.1f02f03a0b0e5e5bf0c2cc56bd9ea8ee.JPG

She doesn’t care for any of this, so she had enough for luck.  Then she ate McDonalds. 😁

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 9

21 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

She doesn’t care for any of this, so she had enough for luck.  Then she ate McDonalds. 😁

🤣  I'll take her share--it all looks DELICIOUS!  I hope your mom gets better soon (((hugs)))

Like I said yesterday, I wasn't going to mess around with the luck thing--we need all the help we can get!  The only thing close to greens that I had were brussel sprouts--I figure that counts.  Along with those, Rancho Gordo black eyed peas with Bentons hocks--I did the hocks for a hour in the IP before I did the peas.  SO good and tender.  Fried chicken and pasta salad to go with (noodles =luck lol).

IMG_5749.jpg.d65ae16be0e84882363bdfc0edc3e6fa.jpg

IMG_5751.jpg.e8b5168ff4b4e07207d5937f81ffe087.jpg

IMG_5752.JPG.9722a91fc93cb5cfdf360e9ace366a66.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Two early dinners, two days:

New Years Eve was scrambled badly when my husband had to rush the hospital in Sacramento to stay the night with his mother, so when he got back the next afternoon we had our little party: There aren't too many classic rich foods that I crave, but the single favorite splurge food from my childhood is......caviar. My parents would often go out on NYE and then come back home just before midnight to ring in the year with me and my brother when we were too young to go out partying. They would break out champagne or iced vodka and a teeny bit of caviar and we would have a midnight celebration.

I made Gabrielle Hamilton's caviar sandwiches from the NYT, just as written, except we did them open face. We had toasted white bread my husband had baked a couple of days before and a tin of Tsar Nikolai CA white sturgeon caviar, which is farmed and local and pretty good. GH recommends wonder bread or some such, but she does have some childhood hangups. Accompanied by prosecco. And basically that was a meal.

Tonight, unplanned, but everything was southern: Vivian Howard's oven fried okra. Fresh home made cornbread with sorghum butter. Leftover long cooked green beans, simmered in tomato, white wine and ham stock served with white rice. Leftover BBQ ribs for my husband. That's the very last of the gift ribs. They are still tasty, but I've had enough meat, thanks. 

• Like 9