• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Tarte tatinesque. Instead of apples, beets. Instead of pears, onions. Instead of sugar, vinegar. Well, okay, and sugar, too.

05C546D3-CE69-4384-9B5D-8D5B28953034.jpeg

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Like 11

One recent dinner started with salad:

DSCN9627.thumb.JPG.5d3731f9193c7de31f7b51b06c53bb79.JPG

Mr. Kim wanted everything, I just wanted lettuce and cucumbers.  I bought this frozen chicken pot pie at Yoder’s Mennonite market when our church ladies group went on an outing recently:

DSCN9625.thumb.JPG.35f178afe2aa9507f55b5d47ad5a4c78.JPG

The ingredient list looked pretty good (though the fat, calories, carbs, and sodium aren’t any different from mainstream brands).  Baked:

DSCN9628.JPG.e18c57ba55996d51a7795e9143ccf02b.JPG

DSCN9629.JPG.e09c5d4f4c1448b534e78d9f3a59fddc.JPG

It was actually very good – nice balance of ingredients, lots of chicken and gravy and a great, crisp crust.

Mother’s Day was a bit hectic – too many places to go and too much to do to have a nice “just us” time.  That is important to our little 3 person family unit.  So, on Sunday, after church Mr. Kim and Jessica kidnapped me.  They spirited me off to Captain Billy’s Crab House in Pope’s Creek MD.  I think every time we’ve ever been we’ve gotten the same things – cream of crab soup, hush puppies, steamed shrimp, and steamed crabs:

60627029_1684606778308554_3316806344220082176_n.thumb.jpg.8db183d9ea624a3bced154e23ea0fcbf.jpg

20190519_162233.jpg.7e290591fc3009f4ff2f766a968040cd.jpg

20190519_162231.jpg.4294318aa508ca0af5d1d1e98b06c2ea.jpg

20190519_162229.jpg.fc9bce16a8389b196792b3dfd9a5faa1.jpg

We got an extra half dozen crabs that I picked so we would have leftovers.  Last night’s dinner:

DSCN9632.JPG.c7de8bed1c5fa9bdfc4bf8da327737e6.JPG

With pineapple upside down biscuits, butter beans and corn.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:

DSCN9633.JPG.94fd4ce4ec7ceb58e6a8891014b74339.JPG

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Sunday I made a tomato, Israeli couscous and chickpea soup from the current issue of Cook’s Country magazine 

D65FD259-1ABD-4DB4-89D0-5B9218E6D616.thumb.jpeg.33dfe21e0f6ce41302aaa2c91503ddeb.jpeg

Last night I made spicy turkey lettuce cups with crispy ginger and garlic and smashed cucumber salad, both NY Times recipes

C9F48666-EF02-4C6E-8D8D-744E4D5A829A.thumb.jpeg.5f3830fdc968307b8f632ae6b7b97fe8.jpeg

• Like 12

Sigh. I'll cook again, someday, I guess.

I hate moving. The thought of the new kitchen is sustaining me. On the other hand, today all the books got finished packing and loaded into the trailer that is living in our driveway. Now I have room to pack other stuff.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Looks great, @Kim Shook. Recipe?

Here you go!  You should know that I made these ahead of Christmas and these were in the freezer since November.  I just thawed and heated in the CSO at 350F.  I sliced them in half and added a little bit of butter, but the best way to eat them is to slide a slice of country ham into them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Ann_T,  dinner here is inspired by you.  Chicken piccata, pasta and sautéed zucchini.  John didn't make it home from Poughkeepsie yesterday so he has to eat what I want and I want chicken piccata.   On the horizon are bison burgers, pasta and shrimp(for John) and some salads for me.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

stir fry tonight. marinated pork shoulder picked up from H-Mart, added tofu, hoisin, chili paste, scallions, shiitake mushroom chicken stock, cornstarch slurry and a couple of raw eggs to steam.

IMG_4781 copy.jpg

• Like 9

Okay.    So I had some leftover Dungeness crab meat (I know, how can you have some leftover Dungeness crab meat??) but I did.  It was going to spoil soon.  I remembered in my freezer I had some shrimp, that I would never use unless it was a soup or sauced dish.    So.....looking into the pantry and fridge, I saw ingredients that would make one of my favorite restaurant dishes as a kid.  I am not sure how wide spread "Chi Chis" was, but their seafood enchiladas (called "Cancun") was absolutely one of my all time favorite dishes as a kid.  Sure, Rick Bayless and other great Mexican chefs may not be impressed, but I recreated this dish tonight.

Dungeness crab and shrimp in a sherry/cream/lobster sauce wrapped in enchiladas.     May not be Mexican or even Tex Mex, but it is outstanding.  Especially unlike Chi Chis, I am using real crab and real shrimp or lobster.

Enjoy.

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

12 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

One recent dinner started with salad:

DSCN9627.thumb.JPG.5d3731f9193c7de31f7b51b06c53bb79.JPG

Mr. Kim wanted everything, I just wanted lettuce and cucumbers.  I bought this frozen chicken pot pie at Yoder’s Mennonite market when our church ladies group went on an outing recently:

DSCN9625.thumb.JPG.35f178afe2aa9507f55b5d47ad5a4c78.JPG

The ingredient list looked pretty good (though the fat, calories, carbs, and sodium aren’t any different from mainstream brands).  Baked:

DSCN9628.JPG.e18c57ba55996d51a7795e9143ccf02b.JPG

Amish chicken pot pie is nothing like this normal looking pot pie. 

Regulation Amish pot pie is a noodle soup like deal with no pastry at all. 

This manufacturer is not all that far down the road from us and well into PA Dutch country. I’d bet all their sales are not local. 

FWIW I think their product is probably better than the authentic one. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, CatIsHungry said:

This looks delicious, @JoNorvelleWalker! Husband and son eat a lot of pork (I do a tenderloin with a honey / maple glaze / cherries) but I think I will give this one a try.

Greenspan's recipe is only ever so slightly sweet.  Good though, I thought.  I bought another orange today!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

42 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Amish chicken pot pie is nothing like this normal looking pot pie. 

Regulation Amish pot pie is a noodle soup like deal with no pastry at all. 

This manufacturer is not all that far down the road from us and well into PA Dutch country. I’d bet all their sales are not local. 

FWIW I think their product is probably better than the authentic one. 

Oddly enough, I think I knew this somewhere in the back of my mind.  I think Cooks Country made it a while back.  I've even bought "Amish" noodles/dumplings.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Owtahear said:

I saw ingredients that would make one of my favorite r  I am not sure how wide spread "Chi Chis" was, but their seafood enchiladas (called "Cancun") was absolutely one of my all time favorite dishes as a kid.  Sure, Rick Bayless and other great Mexican chefs may not be impressed, but I recreated this dish tonight.

Dungeness crab and shrimp in a sherry/cream/lobster sauce wrapped in enchiladas.     May not be Mexican or even Tex Mex, but it is outstanding.  Especially unlike Chi Chis, I am using real crab and real shrimp or lobster.

Kinda reminds me of early 80's Mexico City. You enjoyed it right? That is the main point :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Greenspan's recipe is only ever so slightly sweet.  Good though, I thought.  I bought another orange today!

Sounds like a keeper recipe for you 😀 ... my guys don’t mind a little sweet for sure - thanks for the heads up!

I will try it next time I pull a loin out of the freezer (probably this weekend).

Edited by CatIsHungry
Add another short sentence (log)
  • Like 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

I’ve been lurking at the Japanese supermarket here. Last night was ginger garlic chicken wings, spinach dressed with sesame, pickles (well, kimchi) rice, miso soup with egg and sake. I even made my own dashi. It’s not Japan, but I’m happy with this.

37A78895-DF6C-401E-BFA0-38ADECD24C29.thumb.jpeg.f2814688d3e06858755df7a712df9281.jpeg

• Like 16

Tonight's edition of delivery dinner was from the local Cajun joint. Boiled shrimp, new potatoes, corn on the cob. They did not send cocktail sauce (you have to ask??). Fortunately, I had ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire, lemons and hot sauce on hand. Problem solved.

Kid had a fried bologna and cheese sandwich, with bread pudding for dessert. Pricy for a delivery dinner, but it was good. Shrimp hit the spot. Moving in nine days. If I live.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We bought massive pork steaks a few weeks ago ... big enough that one steak would serve two people with leftovers. In a moment of laziness, I purchased a bag of chopped broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, and then wondered what to do with it. The lot came together in two roasting pans tonight. The vegetables were chopped more finely and tossed with olive oil and mesquite-smoked olive oil, then roasted in the oven. Near the end, they were mixed with jarred roasted red peppers and returned to the oven. The finishing touch was to toss them with balsamic vinegar.

In the meantime, the single giant pork steak was breaded and put into a roasting pan, thence the oven. I've written elsewhere that my darling thinks there is one, and only one, way to do pork steaks. "Why mess with perfection?" he exclaims. I've caved. There will be no experiments on this cut of meat! (Well, we do both like the results...I just don't like the constraint of doing the same thing every time.)

The plating looked better before we started eating. I remembered the picture after we started eating. The pork steak and breading were predictably good. I'm really more pleased with the vegetables, because they were an experiment that turned out well.

20190522_221828.jpg

• Like 10

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown