• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

The ribs look nice and moist!  I love those cute little Korean Frankenstein ribs.  Do not see them in stores very often...people don’t know what to do with them...especially here....not very many Koreans in town...certain no Korean restaurant.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

The ribs look nice and moist!  I love those cute little Korean Frankenstein ribs.  Do not see them in stores very often...people don’t know what to do with them...especially here....not very many Koreans in town...certain no Korean restaurant.

Actually, that style originated in Los Angeles.  Koreans call short ribs presented like that 'LA cut'.  .

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Actually, that style originated in Los Angeles.  Koreans call short ribs presented like that 'LA cut'.  .

I first had them grilled by a Taiwanese neighbor bout 30 years ago. I tend to marinate my own but Korean markets have them pre-marinated along with other meats. Not packaged. You indicate how much you want and they put it in plastic bag for you. If one enjoys knawing on gristly bone bits they are a treat along with the flavorful meat. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

Last Saturday:  Ribeye steak, baked potato grilled green onion, oyster mushrooms and peppers.

DSC03036.thumb.jpg.134c7da4c50f90080c67518669919f54.jpg

Thursday:  Squash ravioli, baked asparagus and sous vide Italian sausages.

DSC03038.thumb.jpg.938f6b03c707008c14ea3af4e1a87392.jpg

Last night was smoked piri piri chicken legs and vegetable lasagne...no picture but here is the appetizer of baked garlic in thyme/chicken stock with DH' s fresh bread and goat cheese...this was really good. From Eating Well Favourites Cookbook.

DSC03041.thumb.jpg.88fe449194ee9a735d102fe702197a80.jpg

• Like 16

Salad of peas, feta, mint, honey, almonds.

Eggplant with yogurt, tahini, carob molasses, dukkah.

Basmati rice cooked in roasted mushroom jus, thyme, garlic, a few thinly sliced shiitake, toasted pine nuts.

IMG_20190427_142315_1.thumb.jpg.0d7e0c777cfd5a93c1c17f7554a0c86d.jpgIMG_20190427_144856.thumb.jpg.a26791ad0e2da4fcfe3b883c861bd378.jpgIMG_20190427_145205.thumb.jpg.3832ba6105baddd53da4c47c450329cc.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

Last night:

Dinner05182019.png

My first time cooking sockeye.  It was dry.

Foccacia05182019.png

Served with rosemary focaccia.

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, heidih said:

I first had them grilled by a Taiwanese neighbor bout 30 years ago. I tend to marinate my own but Korean markets have them pre-marinated along with other meats. Not packaged. You indicate how much you want and they put it in plastic bag for you. If one enjoys knawing on gristly bone bits they are a treat along with the flavorful meat. 

When we order them at restaurants, they bring out scissors for us to cut the meat away.   When I met my wife and her family.. and we had a restaurant shortly afterward, it was 35 to 40 years ago and short ribs were always bought cut between the bones and the meat was cut by the cook according like so there was a long strip of meat with the bone at the end. It was not until my son was about 10 or 12 when I first saw it cut through the bones like it is now.  Of course that was in the middle of Kansas and it was probably seen on the coasts sooner but when in the Asian market, and it is cut like that, it is called LA cut.  

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

Instead of heating up the kitchen further, I cooked the pizza on the grill. Roughly: 100% ap flour, 90% preferment (1:1), another 25% by weight water, salt. Toppings: roasted tomato, bacon, caramelized sweet onion, brie. 

BC1698BE-408A-4A71-BF4C-8F2C80EA1ADF.jpeg

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, chefmd said:

BA459946-4D4A-482C-A5E5-1BE966B3C386.thumb.jpeg.033e8f6a9d6885f65b5cc6f94756ec18.jpeg

First time through I went to the bottom of the page and missed the hamburgers.  I wondered why you'd be putting ketchup on blue cheese.

• Haha 2

Tonight with brother "Kotaneycook" we made sous vide prime rib (which was about 1.5 Lbs sous vide at 122F for 3.5 hours then I took it outside to a gas element and seared it for a crust); CSO asparagus; baked potato with fix's and pan fried mushrooms.

We are 'stuffed'.

DSC03047.thumb.jpg.42804bad34e533308dd3b05e28bc7783.jpgDSC03048.thumb.jpg.4617ce1068b66405ec7efe220298b540.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

More sockeye.  Sill overdone but not as dry as last night's.  Soave helps.  I'm still favoring king salmon.  For one thing king salmon is a lot easier to get the bones out.

Dessert pistachio ice cream.  My doctor tells me to eat salmon and nuts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Poached Islandic cod loin and asparagus broth (from simmering asparagus trimmings). It was dark by the time I was done, hence the grains in the photo.

r4G53WX.jpg

One of the rare occasions which I eat with my hands.

wAdqz7O.jpg

PCV5THU.jpg

• Like 15

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

First time through I went to the bottom of the page and missed the hamburgers.  I wondered why you'd be putting ketchup on blue cheese.

9 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Because @chefmd’s son loves ketchup if I remember correctly.

I did not use any condiments, blue cheese was enough for me.  Brought those for DH.  My son loves everything.  Sadly, he is not visiting this weekend, he and his wife live in NJ.  May be I should visit them and @JoNorvelleWalker

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I planned doing this with couscous rather than rice, but when I got there, the cupboard was bare. Worked with rice, too though.

Pan fried duck breast over lemon, garlic, black olive rice. Served with Shanghai bok choy.

1.thumb.jpg.5a728071dd23a3673bbd4250306b6620.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.ee6a02d495e88e6a4fff13fcde756dd3.jpg

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

Im guessing that salmon was a tail piece ?

I always try to get a piece that's closest to the head

a lot more fat closer to the head , and less susceptible to drying out.

The sockeye fillet I received was longer than I expected, longer than the cutting board.  I began by portioning it from the tail and working my way toward the head.  The thickest piece is yet to come.*  Jeff doesn't give a choice of fillet.  I don't think I'll be buying sockeye from him again.

*though after two nights the salmon is wearing out its welcome.

• Sad 1