• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

17 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/sns-201811051234--tms--foodstylts--v-b20181105-20181105-story.html

“Crash hot potatoes are Australia's answer to smashed potatoes, which are essentially small potatoes that are crushed to maximize their surface area and baked until crisp. I first encountered crash hot potatoes on Ree Drummond's website. Also known as The Pioneer Woman, Drummond credits Australian food writer and cookbook author Jill Dupleix with the inception of this preparation.”

Thanks, the result looks a bit like my baked potatoes that I bake for a couple hours over salt and then smash.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Georgian inspired:

Dinner05132019.png

Tabaka, spiced pan-fried poussin.  Lobio, and not so Georgian broccoli -- but sometimes one must deal with what Jeff Bezos sends.  Georgian green sour plum sauce not shown.  Not sure why as plum sauce is pretty.

• Like 12

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks, the result looks a bit like my baked potatoes that I bake for a couple hours over salt and then smash.

Jacques Pepin's been doing something similar for years. His recipe is at https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/jacques-pepins-potatoes-fondantes-274197 (among other places). I typically just use salted water for the parcooking. They're delicious.

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

29 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Jacques Pepin's been doing something similar for years. His recipe is at https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/jacques-pepins-potatoes-fondantes-274197 (among other places). I typically just use salted water for the parcooking. They're delicious.

Not exactly a classic potatoes fondant, but looks good.

I make smashed potatoes with red (gotta be red ones, white  potatoes aren't color contrasty enough to look smashed) new potatoes. Boiled till tender, smashed with a tomato paste can (Contadina), then fried in butter till brown and crusty

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

Last night's dinner. 

1276285190_PorkTenderloinwithDijonMustardsauceMay12th2019.thumb.jpg.d427567489857e5bbe30c4c6702793ca.jpg

Roast Pork Tenderloin with a Dijon mustard sauce.   

Another work night dinner that took less than an hour from start to finish.

And a head start on tonight's dinner. 

590963845_BonedCornishGameHenMay13th20191.thumb.jpg.2d951272cff7452300e7a68879be09ac.jpg

Boned out a Cornish Hen and the

549509075_BonedCornishGameHenMay13th20192.thumb.jpg.c3aa03b889118b7dd2014983c4a6b126.jpg

intention is to stuff with a wild rice stuffing. 

• Like 15

8 hours ago, dcarch said:

I hope you all had an enjoyable Mother's Day.

I don't believe in fighting the crowd going to a restaurant for MD. So I made sushi. Tuna rolls and crab meat rolls.

dcarch

223253498_MothersDaysushi2.thumb.jpg.3e6ee303fc18f5f02fa706e3ec9d82ed.jpg

Lovely, as always. What is the julienned green stuff in the white dish? And are the white wafers underneath it very thin sliced daikon?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Saturday was the first warm and sunny day in a long time, so I grilled a big platter of vegetables and served them with grilled bruschetta made from focaccia and topped with homemade ricotta

1096327031_grilledveg.thumb.jpg.d2fc64c4f95d2c609392950f7bc6f9f8.jpg

Yesterday I went to my mother's for dinner, but had to get my Game of Thrones recipe of the week in before leaving: apple muffin/cakes.  My niece took them all for her breakfasts this week.

apple.thumb.jpg.2cf148cd6a46c5b5b67f2791cde16fe4.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Lovely, as always. What is the julienned green stuff in the white dish? And are the white wafers underneath it very thin sliced daikon?

Thank you!

The green stuff is wasabi squeezed from a tube.

The white wafers are ultra thin, thinner than paper slices of Jicama. Also finely julienned  jicama is in the crab rolls. I like that better than cucumber.

dcarch

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Just an Old Pan of Mushrooms   :)

Paul, those mushrooms look out of this world! The coating looks very thin. How did you make it?

Ribeye.

SteakAged05142019.png

Grilled:

SteakGrilled05142019.png

Dinner:

Dinner05142019.png

If dinner looks a little protein heavy, served with bread.

Bread05132019.png

• Like 15

11 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Doesn’t look like mushrooms I find in the market.   What are they?

They are a Morel Mushroom that we forge here in Nebraska,     WE like them fried in Kerrigold butter,  like wash of egg,  in a flour with a little seasoning

• Like 3

Its good to have Morels

10 hours ago, TdeV said:

Paul, those mushrooms look out of this world! The coating looks very thin. How did you make it?

I think the key is my egg wash has a 25% dilution of water, in the beaten egg  so it doesn't get to gummy.

Then I have a gallon bag, with seasoning flour.  about 1C.  I then add seasoning in there.  I usually just add Lowry;s or sometimes a Cajun seasoning.  Shake them in the bag to coat, pull them out and shake them in my hand or a little strainer to remove excess  flour,  fry medium heat,  till brown then flip.

The other key is  I let mine dry out a bit in a paper bag,  that way you don't have excess moister in the shroom

Cheers  Doc B---  let me know if u need anything else

• Like 2

Its good to have Morels