• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

This is about cooking, but also about gardening, and a little about medicinal food.

Its always a challenge to plan your garden for early harvest, if you are in a cold zone. I am happy that I have been able to enjoy a steady supply of fresh goodies from my garden (zone 6). First, I got asparagus, then hosta shoots, now I am enjoying goji plant greens.

home-design.jpg

Goji comes early in cold weather. It is a perennial that gives you a supply of delicious early greens and goji berries every year.

Goji greens and berries are a common vegetable in Asian countries. They are believed to have very beneficial medicinal effects. It may not be acceptable for me to discuss anything medicinal on this forum. But you can Google if you are interested in this "super food".

dcarch

SV crispy salmon on goji greens.

714687559_GojigreensSVsalmon.thumb.jpg.de73b660be174e559389ff759760363d.jpg2131358716_gojigreensSVsalmon(2).thumb.JPG.0170f9ac0b44f3de8ddbe9586e8fc8ee.JPG

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 5

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

First, I got asparagus, then hosta shoots, now I am enjoying goji plant greens.

Goji comes early in cold weather. It is a perennial that gives you a supply of delicious early greens and goji berries every year.

Goji greens and berries are a common vegetable in Asian countries. They are believed to have very beneficial medicinal effects. It may not be acceptable for me to discuss anything medicinal on this forum. But you can Google if you are interested in this "super food".

Interesting. I'd never given it a moment's thought, but had assumed that goji was tropical.

My climate here isn't nearly as warm as yours, but it's worth looking into nonetheless. My zone is classed as 5b by Canadian standards, for what that's worth*, and would equate to somewhere between 4 and 5 as the USDA calculates things.

*In my area, microclimates can shift your "real" climate zone a good level, level and a half in either direction, so it's the very roughest of guides at best.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

Interesting. I'd never given it a moment's thought, but had assumed that goji was tropical.

My climate here isn't nearly as warm as yours, but it's worth looking into nonetheless. My zone is classed as 5b by Canadian standards, for what that's worth*, and would equate to somewhere between 4 and 5 as the USDA calculates things.

*In my area, microclimates can shift your "real" climate zone a good level, level and a half in either direction, so it's the very roughest of guides at best.

Goji plant is super easy to grow. Go to a Chinese store, buy some goji greens on branches. Eat the greens, and stick the branches in soil. The branches root quickly and you will have goji greens year round from now on, every year. I think they will grow in climate zones much colder than zone 6.

Make sure you re-do your retirement planning. Because you will live to at least 145 years old. :D

dcarch

• Haha 6

Tis the season.

Halibut in a brown butter, caper and Marcona almond sauce

Asparagus

Morels sautéed then poached in a port cream sauce

Arugula and grape tomatoes tossed in lemon and olive oil.

IMG_2854 (002).JPG

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

20 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Fried up some shallots and poblano chilies an then ground chuck seasoned with ground ancho, guajillo and chipotle chilies.  Finish with cilantro, queso fresco and tomatillo salsa on fresh corn tortillas 

7A264821-2912-419C-9A51-2A2536AFAE5B.jpeg

YUM!

• Like 1

Last night, two recipes from Andrea Nguyen's new cookbook, Vietnamese Food Any Day.  Rice Noodle Salad Bowl and Crispy Lemongrass Salmon. The combination was really great.  I ate the leftovers for lunch today and they were still delicious.  I think this is going to be a frequent dinner once the weather warms up.

1374333856_crispylemongrasssalmon.thumb.jpg.7d546cd5a08caa364666df9eff5aefe6.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Half a chicken with basil and  sun dried tomatoes under the skin along with fingerling potatoes and salad. 

Wine was 2016 Kosta Browne  Russian River  chard

1C88FDB6-D040-4500-AE24-E435BCBD5C6C.jpeg

07E2DC8F-0233-462F-B170-C2EC1CD16226.jpeg

0412FDF0-00B7-413D-B7E1-CF2B59E3D3D6.jpeg

That’s the life 🤗

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dcarch said:

Goji plant is super easy to grow. Go to a Chinese store, buy some goji greens on branches. Eat the greens, and stick the branches in soil. The branches root quickly and you will have goji greens year round from now on, every year. I think they will grow in climate zones much colder than zone 6.

Make sure you re-do your retirement planning. Because you will live to at least 145 years old. :D

dcarch

Alas, Asian markets in my neck of the woods are few and far between, and tend to focus primarily on pantry goods and snack foods (there's a university here and we get a fair number of Chinese students, so it's pretty much a convenience-store demographic culinarily).

Google is my friend, though, so I've learned enough to be confident in saying they'll grow here.

As for retirement planning, mine is (of necessity) basically to work until I fall over dead, so perhaps if I eat enough goji I'll actually have to start retirement planning.

• Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Stir fried spinach with red fermented bean curd, ginger, garlic, light soy sauce, pepper (no plated image, but it was really good).

Miso and pumpkin soup, with toasted sesame (was too mild to my liking).

Tea braised eggs and soft tofu.

Mushrooms and egg, flavored in the style of lu rou fan, with soy sauce, ginger, anise, cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves, Sichuan peppercorns, and tangerine peel (more saucy than it seems in the pictures).

Rice.

IMG_20190422_205947.jpg

IMG_20190422_210105.jpg

IMG_20190422_210613.jpg

IMG_20190422_210626.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.