• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Owtahear said:

Oh man, I love that Pinot!

It’s my wife’s favorite.   Picked up  3 cases  several months ago at a decent price.  Sent one case to my daughter in San Antonio. She loves it too 

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:03 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My hope is I can talk my dear son into taking me tomorrow and that they will indeed have shad.  Last time I got down there @chefmd provided transportation.

My dear son took me to the shadmonger:  "Season is finished for the year -- we sold our last piece last night."

Can't make this up.

• Sad 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have never had shad.  What is it like?

Shad is an oily fine textured fish.  The flesh is boney but for a price fillets are available during the short season, from which all bones have been removed.  The roe is also enjoyed, though I wouldn't go out of my way for it personally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_shad

Oven roasted shrimp, salad made from cubed avocado, scallion, cilantro, small dice english cuke, sliced grape tomatoes, squeeze of lemon. Mexi-inspired quinoa (leftovers, reheated) which included some corn.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I made an IP dinner tonight, Sweet and Sour Chicken from The Ultimate Instant Pot Cookbook for two.  @JAZ it was delicious and easy.  I cooked the rice in a bowl in the IP at the same time.    The next chicken dinner I make will be the one @Kim Shook made from that book, the Teriyaki Chicken and Rice.

20190505_192850.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Typo mistake (log)
  • Like 11

Last night we shake n bake style chicken breasts, air-fried in the BSOA, along with artichokes made in the IP.  Didn't snap a pic.

Tonight was tri-tip steaks, cooked SV then seared, served with green beans.

tt-steak-gb3.jpg.7e461a3d00d8ef565d91606411fbc876.jpg

• Like 9

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Shad is an oily fine textured fish.  The flesh is boney but for a price fillets are available during the short season, from which all bones have been removed.  The roe is also enjoyed, though I wouldn't go out of my way for it personally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_shad

Shad is one of my all-time favorite fish. My mother was a shad roe devotee, but she never seemed that interested in the fish. She liked the roe wrapped in bacon and pan fried. Now that's rich, too rich for me. But if you can get the fish deboned it's a treat. It never gets transported out here to the west coast. I've often come to NY during shad season, and I know Citarella will debone it for you. 

• Like 2

I tend to think of it as an oversized herring, which is close enough as a culinary comparison (I've never looked up where it belongs taxonomically).

Yeah, they're bony SOBs but tasty enough as far as that goes, if you've got the patience (or fishmonger) to debone them. My dad was a big fan of the roe, so that was a frequent springtime dish for us (my mom wouldn't touch the stuff). I loved shad season as a kid, because they were the largest fish I had the opportunity to catch back then. I liked trout better, but shad were more exciting.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

CSO Chicken wings and from Simple two dishes:  Kale with chorizo and garlic then sweet potato mash with a lime salsa which paired perfectly with the sweetness of the potato.  The kale dish has finely chopped preserved lemon.  I put it what the recipe said but DH thought it was too much...I'll make a note on EYB.

DSC03020.thumb.jpg.596057d228c4b940bd564c8807a91755.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

I did not stretch mine.  I just combined all the ingredients...gave it a quick knead and put it in the fridge overnight.

Today it is quite sticky and did not move much overnight.

I portioned it into 90 to 100 g pieces and put back in the fridge for tonight.

DH says take it out for 2 hours before BBQing.  We will see.

Are you going to do your several stretches as per your bread procedure and put it in the fridge overnight?

John got back sick from England....and sick of scrambled eggs and chicken noodle soup tonight made him a bison burger with Ewe's Blue cheese and some thin sliced tomato and pickle relish on a soft white bun.  He ate it all down.   More chicken noodle soup for later along with some decaf green tea with lemon and honey.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I did not stretch mine.  I just combined all the ingredients...gave it a quick knead and put it in the fridge overnight.

Are you going to do your several stretches as per your bread procedure and put it in the fridge overnight?

@Okanagancook, I did several stretch and folds just like my regular dough.   I was already making a batch so it was easy to do the naan bread at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I don’t do any stretch & folds or kneading with this dough. The cold rise and both lactics

do already a lot for gluten developement.

Just divide after cold rise, ball then and when fully risen slab them on the hot grill ...

Pictures, please !

• Like 1

The first local New Jersey asparagus I have seen.  Baked potato.  King salmon, farm raised.  Not quite as pretty as the amazon/Whole Foods wild caught but got the job done well.

• Like 3

Friday I made a couple jars of giardiniera

giardineria.thumb.jpg.a206384357ff65968feb88b62b60d6f0.jpg

We had some of it last night on sausage sandwiches with peppers, onions, and mozzarella

1255210035_sausagesandwich.thumb.jpg.e41e27d68ab0fb585ff5091c428bac0f.jpg

Saturday I made truffle pasta with a fresh truffle a friend of my husband's gave him.  Some if it got chopped into the sauce and I tried shaving the rest.  

716054112_trufflepasta.thumb.jpg.36c1a86587907fc01cc6ed29d734e80e.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Clam and mustard greens soup - a standard in every home and restaurant round here.

1039282806_clammustardsoup1.thumb.jpg.fa27bec12be1bfc874e1f46a540c1e96.jpg

1788524002_clammustardsoup2.thumb.jpg.d5054d0fc74e141788aff4c730a56b6b.jpg

Pork with fermented black beans. No jars were involved in the preparation of this dish. Another basic home or restaurant dish.

20190507_193224.thumb.jpg.69ff46e7d473d00df9927bb1aeba8ae3.jpg

20190507_193127.thumb.jpg.18a5e37fb70500dabae5c80df71938b1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto