• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

I had some lobster shells in the freezer from December.  I wanted to make some stock.  Starting the simmer:

DSCN9554.JPG.4974f9a7494fbd8e89406ba9d5e5c09a.JPG

Olive oil, lobster shells, onions, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, hot pepper flakes, white wine, canned tomatoes, water, and salt and pepper.  Finished and strained:

DSCN9560.JPG.8ad5ccfa65c06c28b4be835341024750.JPG

Having the stock and a pound of Gulf shrimp in the freezer made me think of one of my favorite meals my mom used to make back in the 1970’s.  It was a creamy shrimp dish made with Campbell’s Cream of Shrimp soup and served in puff pastry shells.  I adored this dinner and begged her to make it all the time.  It was often one of her company meals.  I kind of forgot about it, but a few years ago I saw a can of the soup in the store and it popped into my head.  I made it.  But, alas, my palate had changed – or something had.  I found it dull and bland.  So, with the delicious lobster stock on hand and access to internet advice, I decided to try again.  I found a recipe that seemed to have the right idea, but a weird method.  Basically, you made the sauce and poured it over raw shrimp and baked it.  I decided to roast the shrimp (ala Ina Garten) in the CSO, make the sauce in a skillet and put the two together.  Of course, I served it in the shells along with rice and broccoli:

DSCN9565.JPG.c6151d42a217f71236ef30462cddfac1.JPG

Absolutely delicious!  I’m thrilled that I have 3 more cups of lobster stock in the freezer.  I’m thinking of shellfish risotto in the IP.  I also served a chopped salad with a mustard vinaigrette and club rolls:

DSCN9563.JPG.bd98ed699e222f4fe77f9daec317fd3d.JPG

DSCN9566.JPG.0efaa712aa3600dfcfcb37c0a4292763.JPG

It didn’t occur to me until everything was served that I had three carbs!  Oh, well – it all tasted good.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Dinner cocktail party for the launch of a friend new residence.

- Malossol Caviar served on the back of the hand without any garnish

9h193GZ.jpg

JSfZBp2.jpg

- Black rice Nigiri canapés

Qlnky3G.jpg

- Tapenade canapés

Wd60Pwd.jpg

Off picture: Black Beans Humos canapés - Wild Mushrooms Risotto in mini steel pots - Mini Pulled Beef Burgers and dessert was Chocolate Macarons.

Libations: Orange juice and Watermelon Juice - Veuve Clicquot  - Red and White wine. No hard Liquor and cocktails. for a tame evening.

Ohhhh. I forgot Black Truffles and Parmesan Pizza mini slice. (I don't like Black or white truffles and prefer Desert Truffles).

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Last night:

Dinner05022019.png

Whole Foods dry aged "ribeye" that isn't.  Tasty enough however.

Today's Whole Foods delivery actually included a ribeye* -- but one that neither looks nor smells dry aged.  (Nor this time did the label state dry aged.)  Does not build confidence in the amazon order process.

Bread05022019.png

Bread.  Boursin and bottle of Pheasant's Tears Saperavi not shown.

*I guess they must have run out of strip steak to send.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@Duvel, I have been researching your wonderful Catalan dishes for St. Jordi. Courtesy of google (and google translate), I have found one or two dishes, but not many. I have Penelope Casas' PAELLA but all those recipes look tame compared with your dishes! Do you know a good paella book from Catalan? I would prefer the book in English but, as long as there are photos, I'm sure I would survive. 😀

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

It didn’t occur to me until everything was served that I had three carbs!  Oh, well – it all tasted good.

Well, it's a start. You can always add croutons to the salad or much on some crackers and cheese afterwards. Or mop up the extra sauce with half a loaf of crusty bread. :P

My GF gets a hankering for lobster periodically, and I try to save the shells for stock. Shrimp shells, as well. I'm actually not especially fond of lobster, but I do love me some shell stock. Good stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Last night we had salmon larb and smacked cucumber salad with rice.  My fish share usually gives me a nice thick piece of salmon but this week it was an oddly shaped thin piece so this seemed like a good way to use it

1816871410_salmonlettucecups.thumb.jpg.95942ead51a6f4591e334d1ad3b3598b.jpg

Tonight, sole milanese to finish up this week's fish share.  They gave me 12 (!) pieces of sole so it turned into a two night affair, even with sharing my fish share with my sister. 

643489995_solemilanese.thumb.jpg.d950bad7f23fab62ccf77d99faec3cb3.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

13 hours ago, dcarch said:

Yes, hosta is a vegetable in many Asian countries, like in Japan. where it is known as giboshi.

From my garden. two months before my other vegetables.

1438384805_hosta2019a.thumb.jpg.9b936c8c7507f4aac3537f5ff11ba279.jpg1532070259_hosta2019.thumb.JPG.6fcf4d9c0b56b7a6fc7dd7a64035175a.JPG

Thank you very much!

dcarch

I just ate a hosta. The deer clearly have a point. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, TdeV said:

@Duvel, I have been researching your wonderful Catalan dishes for St. Jordi. Courtesy of google (and google translate), I have found one or two dishes, but not many. I have Penelope Casas' PAELLA but all those recipes look tame compared with your dishes! Do you know a good paella book from Catalan? I would prefer the book in English but, as long as there are photos, I'm sure I would survive. 😀

I trust Colman Andrews https://www.amazon.com/Catalan-Cuisine-Europes-Culinary-Secret/dp/1898697760

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2019 at 7:06 AM, dcarch said:

Yes, hosta is a vegetable in many Asian countries, like in Japan. where it is known as giboshi.

From my garden. two months before my other vegetables.

1438384805_hosta2019a.thumb.jpg.9b936c8c7507f4aac3537f5ff11ba279.jpg1532070259_hosta2019.thumb.JPG.6fcf4d9c0b56b7a6fc7dd7a64035175a.JPG

So, just the new shoots? And how does one cook them? Going to have to try this.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Which I just smushed up instead of sauce for a pizza (totally doing this from now on)...or something like one, anyway. I overhydrated this dough (honestly it was probably 85 or 90) and then used twice as much as I needed because I was too lazy to separate it. So this is more like a pizza bread? Tomatoes, mozza, basil from the garden. 1:6 milled sprouted spelt to AP flour. The whole wheat dough I added a pinch of yeast and some lactic acid bacteria and let ferment at room temp for 24 hours while the rest of the dough was in the fridge all night. Baked at 550°F on a half-inch steel plate at the top of the oven with the broiler on at first until the cheese browned. 

948B7006-677B-4CBD-8F11-AF0BD3394ADE.jpeg

• Like 14

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner05032019.png

Bluefish is not my favorite fish.  Shad is.  Bluefish comes close.

You can have my share of the shad roe and bluefish.

Is the shad even running yet?  Our shadbush isn't even close to blooming yet!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Some recent dinners

Short rib ragu

039.thumb.jpg.2fae571e9c0d5cef115947431320af74.jpg

Mushroom ragu with sauteed peppadews

007.thumb.jpg.e3385f130d9d2dcbe77caf3c604a9940.jpg

Gochujang salmon with potatoes and broccolini

047.thumb.jpg.771ad214093ac467a9b08345b0aa1784.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, suzilightning said:

You can have my share of the shad roe and bluefish.

Is the shad even running yet?  Our shadbush isn't even close to blooming yet!

I missed the shad season last year.  Tomorrow I hope to find shad at a store I can't usually get to.  I note the Lambertville Shad Festival was last weekend.  It's quite something to watch the shad being landed.

• Like 1

This is all that's left of tonight's pizza. Previously carmelized onions, avocado and cheddar cheese. Dough is made using King Arthur bread flour and semolina in the bread machine which ages for 3 to 7 days in the fridge. I've been following @JoNorvelleWalker's 3 minute pizza and tried out turning on the broiler for 5 minutes first, then slid the pizza onto the stone and did 1 minute under the broiler and 5 1/2 minutes at 550F. Bottom much more toasty than previous pizzas, dough more cracker-like. Am trying to decide if I prefer it.

Fortunately the recipe makes two pizzas, so I shall have to test this theory in the next few days!

IMG_1486_smaller.thumb.jpg.fad651ddc1be5f388628b2bb291848e8.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

@JoNorvelleWalker The fish places down here have had shad for a while and our little local creek has had hickory shad, the little brother of the American shad , being caught for weeks. 

Problem is I can't get to the shadmongers under my own steam.  Or as they told me once two years ago:  "We'll have shad tomorrow."

@suzilightning may need to rewind her tree.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 3:30 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner05022019.png

I really love this photo.    

Tonight's dinner.

Only took 65 minutes from the time I walked in the door from work. 

2124435682_ChateaubriandMay3rd20192.thumb.jpg.67e0c62aeda85406cc30547f6fb45591.jpg

Promised Moe Chateaubriand.  

949115713_ChateaubriandMay3rd20193.thumb.jpg.6a28257791f9c832de328da277ca6f0e.jpg

Served with Parisienne Potatoes

1608031377_ChateaubriandMay3rd2019.thumb.jpg.ff809a1283b42a939eeeed7f0cd948d6.jpg

and 

285382720_CreamedmushroomsinatoastcupMay3rd2019.thumb.jpg.5483259e516ff7570048c9b13dc87834.jpg

Mushrooms in a cream sauce served in toast cups.   Baked the toast cups yesterday.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@JoNorvelleWalker could Uber fix this?

For a price...and if I had a cell phone.

Actually the store in question will deliver.  Some years ago the delivery charge was $20.  I have not enquired recently.  It's particularly annoying because the store offers a one day a week discount to "senior citizens" -- if I could only get there to take advantage.

My hope is I can talk my dear son into taking me tomorrow and that they will indeed have shad.  Last time I got down there @chefmd provided transportation.

• Like 2

Dinner tonight started with a salad with a mustard vinaigrette:

DSCN9569.JPG.fd16c97c179ff6287500bb16fa823621.JPG

It was an IP dinner – Teriyaki Chicken and Rice from Janet Zimmerman’s “The Ultimate Instant Pot Cookbook for Two”:

DSCN9570.JPG.dd6e4a6d01f2db6f3311aa2541d9dde9.JPG

With stir fried snow peas.  The chicken and rice were delicious and incredibly easy.  Just a one-hour marinade with soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sherry, ginger and garlic.  Then the rice, water, salt and the chicken is added to the IP.  A four-minute pressure cook, steam release and it is done.  

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

It was an IP dinner – Teriyaki Chicken and Rice from Janet Zimmerman’s “The Ultimate Instant Pot Cookbook for Two”:

DSCN9570.JPG.dd6e4a6d01f2db6f3311aa2541d9dde9.JPG

With stir fried snow peas.  The chicken and rice were delicious and incredibly easy.  Just a one-hour marinade with soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sherry, ginger and garlic.  Then the rice, water, salt and the chicken is added to the IP.  A four-minute pressure cook, steam release and it is done.  

That is our JAZ  @JAZ  Looks good

• Like 2