• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Went to the big city grocery store the other day and perused the olive bar--this won't be exciting to most of you lol, but I had fun.  And the olives were really good!

IMG_6159.jpg.e02da0c4a800b7145cdf7d0b17e2b5f0.jpg

Had these along with a sub sandwich and tater salad done in the IP

IMG_6160.jpg.d0e2a16c1475660cca3e8ef7bb87fc5f.jpg

Last night was venison taco salads

IMG_6164.JPG.c9a5c1fa7d6d954e986e015ae79207b8.JPG

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

34 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Went to the big city grocery store the other day and perused the olive bar--this won't be exciting to most of you lol, but I had fun.  And the olives were really good!

IMG_6159.jpg.e02da0c4a800b7145cdf7d0b17e2b5f0.jpg

Had these along with a sub sandwich and tater salad done in the IP

Last night was venison taco salads

I am in the big city and like the olive bars. It is fun to be able to select a small assortment :)  One store has maybe 8 different types but you can mix & match - same price. The other has mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes mixed in.  Middle Eastern markets - well that is just a mind exploder re choices. 

• Like 6

Dinner last night was a “What’s left in the fridge” frittata. There was potato, onion, baby spinach, chopped up broccoli cheese, feta and cheddar, oh and eggs. Served with salad. Dinner tonight will be in Tokyo !!

6B8A9C33-DE86-470B-9B53-DC35016E3DC7.thumb.jpeg.bebcd287671aab26a32441a4b071f603.jpeg

• Like 15

Clean out the fridge before the elders return. "Snow birds"  who are now in almost 100F and when they return shop heavily at Costco... So Argentine red shrimp poached in a butter,  Dijon mustard, chicken powder broth with an aging bagged salad (mixed greens with a light oil and vinegar) and end of bag of frozen fries. Classy huh ;)  And then second course the leftovers on buttered toasted English Muffin.  That should open up space, 

• Like 6

Keeping up the weekly Game of Thrones recipes from the cookbook A Feast of Ice and Fire...the crusty white bread of Winterfell.  It was very crusty!  

1275396338_GOTcrustywhitebread.thumb.jpg.a5c0f5b5f7cea4452595242e4b4c66ee.jpg

The summer greens salad from King's Landing.  Very tasty

567308917_summersalad.thumb.jpg.5c9632deaf78b5114f0a24aec10a74fb.jpg

Main course for the beef eaters of filet mignon, green beans and baked mac and cheese

filet.thumb.jpg.084c5257506865f07fd00d4f5babf396.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Chicken thighs, 5 hours @ 71.1C/160F. Marinade was 15g each of liquid smoke and blackstrap molasses, salt and tons of black pepper. Grilled limes and a grilled sweet potato slaw. 

A1AFC5D5-8A44-4973-BB92-57FC8DF087A6.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

17 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@jimb0, looks delish! Tell us about that slaw.

I'm a sucker for discount meat (water bath will pasteurize it enough to take away my worries, personally) and produce at the store. Today I was walking through and saw a big box of really finely diced sweet potatoes marked down to two bucks. I dumped them on some foil, tossed with a chili/herb olive oil, salt, dried chilies, lots of paprika, powdered onion, powdered garlic. That got left on the grill for a while with the chicken. I made a sauce from the bag juices by adding a tetch of powdered lecithin, a bit of baking soda to reduce the acidity of the smoke and molasses, some sweetener (I used a couple tablespoons of erythritol but sugar would be better), tossed the potatoes with some of it and microwaved them a bit to a sort of chewy/crunchy finish.

It wasn't intended as a slaw, really, but it was the closest thing it resembled after it was done.

• Like 3

I love that china with the veggies. 

I am having withdrawal from not having a garden this year. Didn't plant one, as I didn't want to move off and leave it. I may get some late stuff in once I move.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 minutes ago, kayb said:

I love that china with the veggies. 

I am having withdrawal from not having a garden this year. Didn't plant one, as I didn't want to move off and leave it. I may get some late stuff in once I move.

Thank you!  It belonged to my grammy :)  I love it, too.

I know how you feel.  The tiny upside is that you have some wonderful farmer's markets near you at least.

Mr. Kim requested some kind of citrusy shrimp dish for dinner and the first recipe that fell out of the internet was a Taste of Home recipe for Citrus Garlic Shrimp.  Started with a butter lettuce salad dressed with EVOO, saba and sherry vinegar:

DSCN9550.JPG.c9be00f8be01cbb281f44aaf02976a00.JPG

The shrimp recipe was incredibly easy and very good.  You just put the sauce ingredients (olive oil, lemon and orange juice, lemon and orange zest, garlic, salt, pepper) in a blender and blended until it was completely emulsified, then poured it into a skillet.  You bring it to a boil, reduce to simmer and add the raw shrimp.  They are done in 3 minutes.  You can add Parmesan (I didn’t) and parsley (I did).  I did swirl in some butter at the end.  The sauce:

DSCN9549.JPG.487888d88d8dcd769af41640863172ca.JPG

I served it on long fusilli pasta:

DSCN9552.JPG.352feb5e2349c324f3ce71eb5359b453.JPG

Served with some Portuguese bread and EVOO:

DSCN9553.JPG.b5fb8210a69993b73d4992e730efe9ca.JPG

I don't think we used any of the oil for the bread.  We just soaked up that delicious tangy sauce. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

More late posting of Passover meals.

Two matzo casseroles -

One with leaks, scallions, kashkaval, feta.

One with spinach, feta, a bit of kashkaval. 

I love cooked matzo - matzo brei, casseroles, kneidlach. 

IMG_20190420_212856_1.jpg

IMG_20190420_212639.jpg

IMG_20190420_212710.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Last dinners in Lyon.

Got 2 meals out of this noble creature. The flat owner got the stock I made from the carcass. We discussed what he could use it for. He's a good home cook and already knows what he's going to make.

IbejyPd.jpg 

You should see this metal tag eating at restaurants where certified genuine Bresse poultry is served.

cxHNVWE.jpg

The "kitchen" that comes with my rental flat is barely useable but I pulled it off.

aROqewu.jpg

Now you know any restaurant dish with morels and/or Bresse poulty is expensive. This is what 100gr of dried morels look like:

P4FgxQx.jpg

OKDBEFg.jpg

flUmizp.jpg

My rucksack for in the hold was twice as heavy on the way home because of these Lyonnaise sausages. (Lyonnaise rosette, Jesus and 2 other types)

J167py5.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

I don't remember if I have mentioned Don before but I first had chislic around 45 years ago in North-central Kansas where I was a teacher and a he was a fellow teacher who  served it at a party he threw.  Wikipedia says it is a red meat dish mainly localized in South Dakota.  Don was from South Dakota and he said it was a popular bar food. To see more about it, you can go to the blogspot listed at the bottom of this post. He has always made it with skewered lamb.  This is the first time I have tried it .  Charlie said it was delicious and tasted just like Don's.  We had it with corn and snow peas. Over the years, Don built a 'castle' on an island in the middle of a pond on land he owned and had his chislic parties there.  Several people gave him additions for the castle. I made some gargoyles, a moat monster, a bridge troll and a plaque that said Schloss Insel. 

013_10A (1).jpg

017_17.jpg

20190429_171838.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 19
  • Delicious 1

Some recent dinners

Andouille meatloaf

011.thumb.jpg.2ba167b2b8187fdb47b02579f2f64ccd.jpg

SV  halibut (130 F 20 minutes) and wild rice with onions and cranberries

004.thumb.jpg.9edfff7243b5d41a08b47cd26af5325b.jpg

Chicken picante and arugula mashed potatoes

0032.thumb.jpg.a5e8928d5a4dc58b7df447c063a4e2ef.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

Dinner was a few glasses of vino verde and a shared shrimp ceviche.  The ceviche's other prominent flavor was fresh pineapple.  This was at BarBica, a sidewalk cafe just a few doors from our Lisbon rental apartment.  The sidewalk is adjacent to the route of the Ascensor da Bica, a tram that goes up one of the steepest streets in this part of Lisbon. 

ceviche.jpg

ascension.jpg

• Like 17

Sea food ramen

ramen.thumb.jpg.2300f1bc480e9aa0a762677c1c5599f3.jpg

Fresh ramen noodles with shrimp and cod in a fish stock made from cod bones and shrimp shells. Garlic, ginger, chilli. Quail eggs. Mystery vegetable.

The more astute will have noticed the decided lack of any scabrous deposits of yellow droplets from hell as shamelessly unveiled on another topic!! You know who you are!!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

51 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@gfweb  Those mashed potatoes with arugala look interesting.  I wonder how that might work with baby spinach?

I've done it with chiffonaded spinach. Works nicely

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1