• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

Deviled eggs

0111.thumb.jpg.924eabcf1280d7ca7643a432f3e3549e.jpg

I NEED one of these egg plates.  Do you remember where it's from?  Have I asked you this before?

I unearthed some tuna steaks during the great freezer clean out...a bit past their prime, but decent enough with a little sauce made from jalapeño, soy, lime, ginger, a pinch of sugar and a bit of oil.  Sweet and sour tofu and egg rolls to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_6143-1.jpg.9eb3a953eb5d5e10d5e5396a2d76d456.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6144-1.jpg.fedb5659747a115da6778bf11de388dd.jpg

Ronnie found a 4 lb prime rib for a decent price, so that was Easter dinner last night.  Done in the CSO at 200F until it hit 125F in the center (about 2 hours).  Then rested for about 30 mins and after that put in on broil at 500F for 10 minutes.

thumbnail_IMG_6145.jpg.c4799fcc0c1743e85d94b56a850f5264.jpg

See?  I need an egg plate.

thumbnail_IMG_6146.jpg.adfef074fe0aa51e6ce22fee1d5a70ae.jpg

Pickled stuff

thumbnail_IMG_6147.jpg.4bb226bdedd373802a3ff3be858887bc.jpg

Pea salad

thumbnail_IMG_6150.jpg.e08c87dca449d68923d2366ee0cc6b41.jpg

Wish I'd had some asparagus from the garden, but not enough yet.  So, lettuce salad had to suffice.

thumbnail_IMG_6152.jpg.ae14bc3530c8391fd5801b530da80623.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6154.jpg.68cb1afff3dfa991047eb96a3dd6dd1d.jpg

Annnnnnnd this is why I'm not a baker.  I wanted pound cake to go with strawberries and whipped cream for dessert.  First of all, maybe this recipe is for a different kind of pound cake than I'm used to, but it was more like yellow cake.  It tasted good, just not like the pound cake I was thinking of.  Second of all, even with all of my buttering and flouring of the bundt cake pan, this happened:

thumbnail_IMG_6148.jpg.2dc9ac0eda16a4dcca6fa82c85a04499.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6149.jpg.0cf9b9aeeb772c63d07ff344d5b9905e.jpg

Oh well, still was a good dessert :)

thumbnail_IMG_6155.jpg.6713c83bc66dbb46a71ab97f01fcb5f3.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

37 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Thanks so much!

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Shelby - here's one at a good price and it looks identical.  That happens to me all the time with Bundt cakes.  In fact, I tend to do cakes that are supposed to be Bundt in tube pans and line the bottom with a ring of parchment.  

And thank you so much too!

That makes me feel a bit better.  You are an experienced baker!  I have one of those tube pans...maybe I should retire the bundt pan for good.  I'm not sure that I've ever had success getting a cake out in one piece!

23 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Skrei season has just come to an end. I got 2 fat loins. The fish is so delicate and expensive you really need to keep it simple. I just seared, topped with onions fried in butter.

jnqvb1u.jpg

Got 5 meals out of this lean duck.

7Z6c0i4.jpg

This is the last one. Used the stock in the soup and made some crispy Speck.

yWHFw1s.jpg

K4knJ7q.jpg

thanks for the always beautiful photos

I noticed the stitching on your duck; it seems like the Chinese style of roast duck I see on videos during the preparation stage. 

Modernist Cuisine book says that the oven temp for Chinese roast duck is specially made to go crazy hot - maybe over 2,000 F or something - and not something you can do at home. 

That's why I never tried Chinese roast duck at home and some American recipe had weird ways of doing it involving an air pump etc. 

But could you talk about how you produced such a nice duck? ...and wondering if you did the Chinese method or found a substitute technique ? thank you 

28 minutes ago, Shelby said:

That makes me feel a bit better.  You are an experienced baker!  I have one of those tube pans...maybe I should retire the bundt pan for good.  I'm not sure that I've ever had success getting a cake out in one piece!

Oddly, the only one I've never had any trouble with was one of those super intricate Nordic Ware ones.  But they are fairly heavy cast aluminum (which is one of my favorite things to cook in) and recommend brushing with oil, so that might explain it.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, eugenep said:

But could you talk about how you produced such a nice duck? ...and wondering if you did the Chinese method or found a substitute technique ? thank you 

I use bamboo skewers to seal the openings. The excess skin makes a tighter seal and easier to pierce with a skewer. Recipes always say "trim excess skin".

It's the simplest method:

- Poke the skin all over with a small, sharp metal skewer.

- Pour boiling water over the bird and leave to dry. If using any flavouring glaze keep basting it repeatedly and chill (uncovered), preferably overnight.

- Roast each side, how long it takes depends on the size of the bird.

- Baste with the glaze repeatedly.

- Done when juices run clear (if you must control precise internal temp look up a general chart)

PS: thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I have a Wilton bundt pan that I spray canola oil spray on and then flour; it has some sort of a non-stick surface to start with. Has always worked pretty well for me. But because it makes a Big Dang Cake, I tend toward dividing my batter between a couple of 7 1/2 x 3 1/2 loaf pans and baking in those, and just freezing one of the cakes.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

I have a Wilton bundt pan that I spray canola oil spray on and then flour; it has some sort of a non-stick surface to start with. Has always worked pretty well for me. But because it makes a Big Dang Cake, I tend toward dividing my batter between a couple of 7 1/2 x 3 1/2 loaf pans and baking in those, and just freezing one of the cakes.

You have to be careful with using non-stick sprays. Some contain lecithin which, ironically, under high heat, causes stickiness on non-stick surfaces. My mom had to toss a few small (cheap) non-stick pans because of this.

• Thanks 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Shelby Before you spring for a new deviled egg platter, consider eBay; loads of them available in all different price points, some venerable, some awful. Also I used to see them in thrift shops, but haunting those places isn't high on my list these days. The last thing I need is more kitchen objects. I have a nice Frankoma one from a zillion years ago, but I never use it any more. It's either me or the eggs, but I'm so sick of trying to peel them I rarely make them in quantity. I do like them but it's probably just as well I stay away from them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I only got one picture from our Easter dinner, and it happened to be this week's Game of Thrones recipe.  Honeyed Chicken of the North.  It was tasty.  The recipe suggested serving more of the sauce (apple cider vinegar and honey cooked down with dried fruit) as a gravy, but I did not do that, it would have been way too sweet.  Leftovers are simmering away for tonight's soup supper.

honeychicken2.thumb.jpg.6784004421a6aaa2213fa1c3c487e37c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

A few recent meals.  

Tri-tip hash with potatoes, onions and spinach:

tt-hash4.jpg.171d4cdbf03b34b017382428011a8171.jpg

Panko-crusted pork chops, air-fired in the BSOA with tater-tots (same time, temp and pan) and steamed spinach with butter.

snb-chops.jpg.dba57f99f4c3e9e565657ac218ec2bb5.jpg

Carnitas, made in the IP Mini and then broiled and sauced, served with Spanish rice and refried beans.

carnitas5.jpg.187bf3d26de9125dfaa5eb3f1d820d1c.jpg

• Like 10

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:02 AM, chefmd said:

Dry aged strip steak with roasted Yukon gold potatoes 

AAE18828-1045-40FA-B2C7-1486BF6DD0F6.thumb.jpeg.947f35b1701f07ae10e965bc7e21cc9c.jpeg

5CECE983-ECE8-486E-B2F2-6283E4B93CAF.thumb.jpeg.91419c4497f32a91262228ce5841b517.jpeg

DB6FA485-4166-4A8A-AD9E-5E7FA44F4706.jpeg

No, I am not stalking my friend @chefmd

Raw04222019.png

For one thing amazon sold this to me as a ribeye.*  Contrary to the label it didn't even taste dry aged.  For another, contrary to @chefmd I cooked mine before serving:

Grilling04222019.png

Steak04222019.png

Bearnaise:

Bearnaise04222019.png

Dinner04222019.png

Satisfactory, but I don't care for possibly-dry aged strip steak being pawned off as dry-aged ribeye.

*Amazon awarded me a $5.00 credit.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker  I like my steak rare, some may call it bleu ;).   I buy dry aged steak at http://www.nicksofcalvert.com/ which is near our beach house.  It is very umami, truly looking dry aged.  I will take a photo of the whole prime cut next time, it looks like the steaks that I see at fancy steak houses.  WF dry aged steak just does not taste very dry aged to me.  

Love your dinner BTW.

• Like 2

Roasted chicken noodle soup from Andrea Nguyen's new cookbook Vietnamese Food Every Day.  This made good use of the leftover chicken carcasses and odd bits of meat from Easter dinner.  It had a nice comforting flavor.  I think some lime juice and/or fish sauce would have made the flavor pop a bit more.  I'm looking forward to cooking from this book.

226442635_roastedchickennoodlesoup.thumb.jpg.281a7ac98ae4cd93094d60f35ecb5b6f.jpg

• Like 14

Dinner last night started with a butter lettuce salad w/ a saba and olive oil dressing:

DSCN9537.JPG.b8627ce85337e3bfb40f16032801fc48.JPG

Main course was a breakfast casserole from Taste of Home – Eggs Benedict Bake with béarnaise sauce (packet):

DSCN9536.JPG.1c382d52631df605f4d95487cc0ef56d.JPG

Serving with the sauce:

DSCN9538.JPG.55cdaf988e981df96182ece79762a3cf.JPG

This was good.  Not great, but we liked it.  It needed some oomph.  It took a lot longer to cook than suggested and the Canadian bacon dried out a bit.  I think if I do it again, I will get thick sliced ham from the deli and use chunks of it. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Easter Leg of Lamb.  

Garlic/Rosemary/Herbs De Provence rub

Simply grilled over lump charcoal on a Weber.

Made Barbecued Carrots from a recipe from the Publican (Chicago, Paul Kahan)

Twice Baked potatoes

Salad

Rolls

Owen Swift Papillon Wine

IMG_1464 (002).JPG

IMG_2793 (002).JPG

IMG_2792 (002).JPG

• Like 17

Dinner last night was south Asian. Paneer cooked with tomato and onion, cabbage mallung, dal, rice and raita.

Mallung is a Sri Lankan dish, served at nearly every meal. You can use basically any leafy green vegetable, the one below is cabbage and carrot tops. It’s so easy and very good for you with no oil. Chop an onion finely, throw in pan with washed and finely shredded leaves, a chopped green chilli or two, a spoon of ground Maldive fish flakes, salt, pepper and lemon juice then simmer with a lid on until the leaves are tender. Add desiccated coconut to absorb any remaining moisture.

CA0AE2FF-CC6D-4D6A-9DD2-7F326408AB84.thumb.jpeg.4ddbb67f434cf02198f821f5b0443dd3.jpeg

• Like 13

@Owtahear lovely cook on the leg.  It was quite thick so to get it mostly pink was great.  You must have cooked it indirectly for part of the time.  Well done...you, not the meat 😁

I butterflied mine and cut the really thick part off to cook on another day seeing we had plenty of meat.  My meat was about 1.5 inches thick so I cooked it over full gas and kept flipping it until the temp was 120ish then rested it for ten minutes tented under foil.