• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

8 minutes ago, eugenep said:

pizza looks really good - a lot of your meals are executed pretty perfectly 

Question: did you use all purpose flour and or 00 Caputo or a different flour? And..would you happen to know the protein content of the flour you are using offhand? thank you 

I imagine that the circle shape for stretching the dough depends on higher protein/gluten for elasticity? 

@eugenep  Thanks for your kind words.   

I use a Canadian bread flour.  It is from Rogers Flours and it is one of their commercial products. 

Protein is 13.4%.   Even their regular bread flour available in grocery stores has 13.4 %.   protein.

I have tried a number of "pizza dough" recipes and also the 00 Caputo flour.  And I haven't found a recipe or a flour that I like better than what I use.

If I know that I am going to use a batch of dough for pizzas than I will usually increase the hydration.   The batch above was 76% hydration and started with a  yeast biga

The higher hydration makes  it easier to stretch with a couple of rests .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We don't normally have sandwiches for dinner but the new edition of Cuisine@Home came out this week and this jumped out at me, so that was dinner tonight.  The recipe was called Korean Barbeque Steak Sandwiches.  The steak was a rib-eye grilled (on a Breville indoor grill in my case), sliced thinly, mixed with a sauce consisting of ketchup, rice vinegar, light brown sugar, soy sauce, gochujang, garlic and sesame oil. Buns are toasted, I used brioche, shredded napa cabbage is put on the bottom of each bun, sauced meat on top.  The cucumber salad, called Korean Cucumbers, had a dressing of rice vinegar, gochuganu, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil.  Sliced scallions were added as were some toasted sesame seeds.  Looking forward to having them again.

20190419_191457.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

For years I have seen this sign for pierogies at this little hole in the wall deli.  I decided to stop on Monday....OOOPS.  Closed.

Stopped yesterday on my quest for food for John and his friend.  Scored a dozen frozen potato and onion pierogies.  

Dinner tonight was 4 of them cooked up and served with some applesauce and sour cream.  These are possibly the best I have

ever had...except for my friend Rich's.

• Like 8

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Down at the cottage for Easter with limited cooking capacity, and eating a la lap. I pan fried chicken, feta and tomato sausages, then served them with reheated potato bake/veg and roasted asparagus. Tomato sauce and hot English mustard on the side. Crumb catcher at the ready.6B4F96BE-A448-4EDB-B988-8B8FDC0E4DDF.thumb.jpeg.d52a59630048c7b1f0b9ffabf9538be3.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

Something new:  asparagus steam baked in the CSO:

Dinner04202019.png

Perfectly prepared but note the sulfurous demonic hue.  Normally I boil my spears in a large pot of excess water which preserves the color.

Typically tasty baked potato and lightly grilled tuna steak.  I repent the years I tortured tuna before I learned what it could be.  And before I acquired the tools and technology to make the apotheosis so.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 4/9/2019 at 10:41 AM, ElsieD said:

I said much the same thing earlier in this thread.  If he didn't see my comment perhaps he will see yours.  Without a basic description the pictures, while nice to look at, don't really mean much.

He's been doing that on egullet for years. I think he enjoys the attention of people wondering and speculating. I wish this forum has a feature to hide/ignore posts by user. 

39 minutes ago, tonyrocks922 said:

I wish this forum has a feature to hide/ignore posts by user. 

It does.  Go to your drop down menu under your username in the top right corner, select "ignored users" and you will be brought to a page where you can add the usernames of those whose posts you do not wish to see.

Last night we had black bean and roasted poblano pepper enchiladas verde with yellow rice.

1138878584_enchiladasverde.thumb.jpg.d2a85a7389bc84697927ad2d2ec6d1d1.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt
typo (log)
  • Like 12

I know I won’t be able to post photos later, as I will have 12 for Passover dinner (down from possible 14). Mom is making/bringing brisket, sis is making/bringing roasted potatoes. I made citrus/honey baked boneless chicken breasts yesterday, tasted one chilled and decided they will be served coldish. Saffron quinoa pilaf with dried cherries. Thai carrot salad. Lemon roasted green beans. Chicken soup with matzoh balls (added some fresh dill to the mix). Mom is also bringing homemade chocolate dipped macaroons and some fruit salad for dessert. Uncle and his daughter bringing some other dessert.

I am currently sitting with a cold adult beverage enjoying the fact that everything is done, so glad I did advance prep.

Edited by BeeZee (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

After the freezer thaw debacle, I once again thanked the person that invented sous vide for home use and the person that got me started doing it.  I was so tired so I threw some beef steaks in the water bath.  Saved me from a lot of cooking and I don't think I could have fit them in the downstairs freezer lol.

IMG_6136.jpg.b3682175d73621b15e2eb52d567f294b.jpg

IMG_6137.JPG.dd518c253adbd1cdaf7fedfc2fb24366.JPG

Next night was oysters and fried shrimp and frog legs

IMG_6138.jpg.0ca86983672c0f3b311ec39e512638e1.jpg

IMG_6139.jpg.bdb7a21ad87c23e1c10667e29c0388d4.jpg

Last night I couldn't resist picking the 8 spears of asparagus that were up in the garden....not enough as a veggie side so I blanched them and threw them into the marinated mushroom jar for a few hours.  Venison meatballs and spaghetti to go with.

IMG_6140.jpg.f614e8e163eebf92010bd58913cecf3b.jpg

IMG_6141.jpg.cda588436626bc08810722e952c17d2d.jpg

IMG_6142.JPG.b16920065bd38df33893596084f7b0ba.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Burmese Chicken with Mint.

This is sort of a Burmese version of the Thai/ Laotian laab or larb. I more or less follow this recipe. This time it was less. I don't have sambal oelek*, skipped the sugar and didn't have coriander/cilantro. No great loss.

burma1.thumb.jpg.8b950b700a0b53d23f0d866b6772df57.jpg

Served with rice and a side of wilted spinach.

*Subbed it with Guilin chilli sauce. Mint tenderly nurtured through the winter and now rampant on the balcony.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Wishing one and all a Happy Easter.

Pre Dinner Indian Mango Alphonso in season perfect for Easter.

This is left from a full box

1i51Az4.jpg

followed by an Italian Panettone with chocolate and Orange Cream filling

NjQM3v5.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 17

Last night: celebration BIL's 59th birthday - pizza(1/2 plain; 1/2 Hawaiian - for the BIL!!!), lobster bisque for BIL and shrimp marinara for John from Madison's in Pleasant Valley, NY.   Did you notice there were no vegetables?  Not unusual in Poughkeepsie.

If/when John gets home there will be a roasted chicken, roasted carrots, baked sweet potatoes and a small amount of mash.  Oh... and dressing; herb dressing with sautéed shallots and apple.  And Ahh! Bisto chicken gravy fortified with the skimmed drippings.

Leftover dark meat chicken off the bone with noodles for pho tomorrow.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 4/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, Ann_T said:

The higher hydration makes  it easier to stretch with a couple of rests .

Hi Ann,

How do you stretch your pizza? (In spite of making pizzas for years, I have a fairly clumsy way of stretching out the dough).

Your pizzas (again) look fabulous. It seems to me that you have very little dough gumminess (?) where the topping intersects the dough. How do you manage this?

Thanks.

Skrei season has just come to an end. I got 2 fat loins. The fish is so delicate and expensive you really need to keep it simple. I just seared, topped with onions fried in butter.

jnqvb1u.jpg

Got 5 meals out of this lean duck.

7Z6c0i4.jpg

This is the last one. Used the stock in the soup and made some crispy Speck.

yWHFw1s.jpg

K4knJ7q.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, TdeV said:

Hi Ann,

How do you stretch your pizza? (In spite of making pizzas for years, I have a fairly clumsy way of stretching out the dough).

Your pizzas (again) look fabulous. It seems to me that you have very little dough gumminess (?) where the topping intersects the dough. How do you manage thi\for

Thanks.

o

I am obviously  not Ann but just as with phyllo or puff pastry ya gotta just do it. The current trend is high hiydation. With a standard recipe

the "rest" is critical. I grew up with noodles and leaarned dough resting at great grand mother's knee. When you look at shows you see just a sort of hand  knuckle  movement rather than actual touching/pulling. Think also of pie crust - cool hamds and just do it.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

Hi Ann,

Your pizzas (again) look fabulous. It seems to me that you have very little dough gumminess (?) where the topping intersects the dough. How do you manage this?

Thanks.

@TdeV, I don't do anything special.    I shape the dough loosely into a ball and flatten.   I have a board well floured and I oil my hands with olive oil and stretch initially from underneath the dough using my knuckles.  I stretch  until it resists, 

and then I let it rest for 10 minutes for the dough to relax.   I oil my hands again and then just start to push out on the dough to stretch it further, letting it rest as needed.  Once the centre is thin enough, I start to pull gently and stretch from the edge out.  

I hope that makes sense.    The secret is letting the dough rest between stretches.   When it is relaxed it stretches much easier.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Easter dinner on the patio (finally warm enough...just)

Deviled eggs

0111.thumb.jpg.924eabcf1280d7ca7643a432f3e3549e.jpg

Potato salad with ramps

031.thumb.jpg.f2c00b734b010d43b69fb4bab4b54e2b.jpg

Roast veg

045.thumb.jpg.50a5b74fc7734c6df24887eab594e6b6.jpg

Smoked pork tenderloin with savory lingonberry sauce

046.thumb.jpg.87afb10d1628d1e550a645ec5d1be923.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

47 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Easter dinner on the patio (finally warm enough...just)

Deviled eggs

0111.thumb.jpg.924eabcf1280d7ca7643a432f3e3549e.jpg

Potato salad with ramps

031.thumb.jpg.f2c00b734b010d43b69fb4bab4b54e2b.jpg

Roast veg

045.thumb.jpg.50a5b74fc7734c6df24887eab594e6b6.jpg

Smoked pork tenderloin with savory lingonberry sauce

046.thumb.jpg.87afb10d1628d1e550a645ec5d1be923.jpg

That looks like a wonderful Easter dinner. Ramps!! :x Oh, you lucky duck! Ours will be coming up in about a month.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown