• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

@Smithy – there is cream of chicken soup in the recipe, but I’ve used that in other things that I like.  That’s really the only processed thing – the recipe includes sour cream, Cheddar, hash browns, Swiss, hot sauce, pepper, onions (which I cooked before adding).  The flavor is a little bland ( @heidih is on the right track with it being one-note).  Also, the potatoes just don’t get soft enough.  I like @kayb’s idea of par-boiling the potatoes.  I do that with au gratin potatoes because I’ve never had luck not doing it.  Tony Bourdain’s Gratin Dauphinois instructs you to simmer the sliced potatoes in cream and that was the first time I successfully made potatoes cooked in a sauce.  Thanks to everyone for the help and questions! 

@Norm Matthews and @David Ross – gorgeous meals!  Two of my favorite comfort foods – roast chicken and Swedish meatballs!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Soft shell crabs tonight. I smoked up the kitchen pretty badly at my last venture, so tonight, I went out to the grill, preheated to 400 (F). Added a few TBS of butter to a hot sizzle platter and added the freshly cleaned crabs that had been dredged in seasoned flour and lightly shaken to remove excess coating, turning once after about 8 minutes. I cooked for another 3 or 4 minutes and turned them out on the grill, brushing with melted roasted garlic and ramp compound butter and briefly turned them again. I served these with a spicy kimchi  tarter sauce.

My only comment: KILLER!!!!!!

HC

IMG_0188.thumb.JPG.1ba5f36b3f6a3d0207079679c0e58099.JPGIMG_0189.thumb.JPG.fbc8314ffdee1500978b6d20f920ac18.JPG

• Like 21
  • Delicious 1

Baked mushrooms, filled with ricotta and toasted walnut paste.

Roasted sweet potato and butternut squash, chestnuts. With caramelized onion, coconut cream and star anise, over black quinoa.

IMG_20190330_150321_1.jpg

IMG_20190330_150408.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

8 hours ago, Duvel said:

Very nice! Do you poach the tongue or SV? Would you share your method?

I just did a 2 hour braise and then let it sit in the heated ducth oven for an hour and then refrigerate. 

(1) I believe the meat sitting in the dutch oven still cooks it on lower heat for another 30-40 min 

(2) and then the refrigeration firms up the meat to make it easy to slice and changes the texture 

I really didn't experiment to verify (1) or (2) but if someone did that would be cool - maybe write a whole book on these unverified techniques.  

They were just instructions on an online blog recipe but recipes just say "do it" without telling you why (maybe bc they don't know either?) 

I wonder if beef tongue might require a longer braise just because of older meat with more flavor but also tougher?? 

• Thanks 1

It is 7am in Los Angeles and I am starving facing a busy day. leftover roast chick into a quick mayo, dry cranberry salad on leftover simple garlic bread topped with leftover kale salad (yes the bag with the poppyseed dressing).  Party leftovers. Tummy growling. 

• Like 6

Tuna tartar (albacore tuna, soy sauce, garlic chives, lime juice, Maldon salt).

Dry aged steak and duck fat roasted potatoes.

Over indulging because son and DIL are visiting.

A20F6441-4C30-4292-BE13-756EE15386C8.thumb.jpeg.bf2ebd2d0f4e21d108bde63a3331e7d5.jpeg

5B412CD9-FD18-454C-9C8D-D23636E2F37E.thumb.jpeg.606741e4fa7e02cd87398ab6d5162528.jpeg

33A4CCEB-056E-47EB-808C-47F2DE27D63A.thumb.jpeg.b462b8cc0747ffcdc5e0f321cb43be9b.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Jamie Oliver has a 5 ingredient meal show. Today included a pesto chicken puff pastry thing. I left out the green beans, so it was 4 ingredients, but I added-in garlic-mustard leaves. It really needed added garlic and salt, so I did that. It was fine. Not great, but perfectly OK. The puff pastry added a mild "wow" factor, but didn't really add to the flavor. 

024.thumb.jpg.4a58171d81bdd69c02d90e9610e02b4b.jpg

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Jamie Oliver has a 5 ingredient meal show. Today included a pesto chicken puff pastry thing. I left out the green beans, so it was 4 ingredients, but I added-in garlic-mustard leaves. It really needed added garlic and salt, so I did that. It was fine. Not great, but perfectly OK. The puff pastry added a mild "wow" factor, but didn't really add to the flavor. 

Puff pastry isn't flour, salt, butter, lard, and water?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

024.thumb.jpg.4a58171d81bdd69c02d90e9610e02b4b.jpg

The technique is very impressive and it's pleasing to the eye to look at also. 

For the meat temperature...it loos like chicken breast maybe? - best at 140F and would start to dry as it gets hotter..

were you able to...bake the pastry and heat the chicken breast in the right way also? 

...and how was the taste? I mean, did it taste as good as a most pastry dough and have the savory-goodness from the meat? 

-thank you 

8 hours ago, eugenep said:

The technique is very impressive and it's pleasing to the eye to look at also. 

For the meat temperature...it loos like chicken breast maybe? - best at 140F and would start to dry as it gets hotter..

were you able to...bake the pastry and heat the chicken breast in the right way also? 

...and how was the taste? I mean, did it taste as good as a most pastry dough and have the savory-goodness from the meat? 

-thank you 

Thanks!

The recipe was to assemble the thing and bake at 425f for 20 minutes. I took its temp at 18 min and it was 142. So I pulled it. Chicken was moist and pastry was crunchy on top. 

I took care  to pound the chicken to a more or less uniform thickness. 

I also added garlic. 

• Delicious 1

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

They look a whole lot better than MINE!!!

Not true!  Anything tater is always good ;)

Found yet another package of doves in the freezer so Ronnie grilled them last night

thumbnail_IMG_6121.jpg.50877555ae60b557e42956a5ca767041.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6120.jpg.87616105966fab60ae94a6e37ccbfb72.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6122.jpg.ad785e36efb542b9cf4f17d9db442cc2.jpg

• Like 11