• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Venison burgers last night

thumbnail_IMG_6112.jpg.d72251726bb7d00e2921be85facf0910.jpg

I see the requisite 6 french fries. But I think you should get a few more since you've shorted yourself with rather short fries. xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

46 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I see the requisite 6 french fries. But I think you should get a few more since you've shorted yourself with rather short fries. xD

I swear I don't count my fries 🤣 I must have a loading capacity of 6 fry hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A different mushroom and spinach curry than I usually make, trust me there are mushrooms underneath that greenery. Served with rice, eggplant bharta and leftover potato samosa filling.

B8BD49FB-A08A-4A3F-92AB-7D12D5D8539F.thumb.jpeg.9d2d3547bf7b3dd1c02104e0b8940976.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Weiner sauce?

Texas Wiener sauce.  Actually indigenous to New Jersey. It originated in Coney Island.  

• 3/4pound lean ground beef
  • 1medium onion, chopped 
  • 3/4cup ketchup
  • 1/4cup tomato paste
  • 1cinnamon stick
  • 1tablespoon mustard powder
  • 1/2tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 3/4teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2teaspoon celery seeds
  • 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/8teaspoon nutmeg
1 tsp ginger 
¾ tbsp paprika 
¾ tsp onion powder 
½ tsp garlic powder

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

The belly of salmon or steelhead is one of my favorite things to eat 

This was steelhead.  Salted with brown sugar and a sprinkle of black pepper then vacuum packed and tossed in the fridge for 3 days.  

Tossed it on the smoker this evening.  Served with  salad 

5BC95A29-A686-474A-8057-5899F8EB2797.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

@Norm Matthews is that rice up there on top?  I'll look at your blog for the recipe for the chicken :) 

Yes, It is medium grain rice cooked with Sazon Goya Con Culantro Y Achiote for seasoning and color.

20190411_193458.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I found some fresh, local haddock fillets at $6.99 pp and the rest was history. Haddock fish and chips always makes me happy and Deb had no complaints either.

While I was at the market, I learned that live soft shell crabs were coming in just before the 10 AM opening bell. Guess who'll be there as well tomorrow morning!

HC

IMG_0184.thumb.JPG.b1927049a88ef9516255781c6818256b.JPGIMG_0186.thumb.JPG.8046de2e8dd07aa054f0ab1bc7ccc1db.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Buttermilk marinated chicken thighs, cauliflower-potato-onion gratin, and peas. Unfortunately, I mistimed the gratin and didn't leave enough time for it to rest before serving. Seconds were much better.

P4110163.thumb.jpg.54d524b9892b06ad4e05fe6e2f976a82.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Jessica made dinner the other night.  Salad:

DSCN9506.JPG.95feebb59294377bbaec69d50636c89a.JPG

What isn’t shown is the incredibly good salad dressing she made with olive oil, lemon juice and Saba.  Also pasta:

DSCN9507.JPG.c965d63140e75ec2e3fbf9ebeba121cc.JPG

Olive oil, lemon zest and juice, Parm and basil.  Delicious.

Another night was breakfast for dinner.  I tried one of those goopy, cheesy frozen hashbrown casseroles again:

DSCN9508.JPG.fde09e4e2681d015e2ff71479ea7a565.JPG

I guess I just don’t like them.  But I can’t figure out why.  I love goopy, cheesy casseroles.  And I adore potatoes.  But I’ve never found one of these that I care for. 

DSCN9510.JPG.a67c09fe5c3f60bf5860e8d1488d14a0.JPG

Scrambled eggs, those potatoes, asparagus for Mr. Kim and Father’s bacon,  Served with the last of the Callie’s cheese and country ham biscuits from my Charleston SC trip:

DSCN9509.JPG.9c8e9479e70009ffab50fbc802da91ac.JPG

Hope the Fresh Market has this variety. 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

38 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

DSCN9508.JPG.fde09e4e2681d015e2ff71479ea7a565.JPG

I guess I just don’t like them.  But I can’t figure out why.  I love goopy, cheesy casseroles.  And I adore potatoes.  But I’ve never found one of these that I care for.

I'm curious about this, and have a couple of questions in the interest of troubleshooting. Can you identify what it is specifically that you haven't liked about them - the one above, for instance? To what degree do you use processed / prepackaged foods to do this? For instance, have you tried it with the shredded potatoes that contain onions, and then tried again without? Is it possible that, say, the onions don't get cooked enough, or crushing the corn flakes would make a textural difference, or a different cheese would help?

This is idle curiosity alone, unless you're interested in trying to find a recipe that you do like. You make so many delicious-looking things that one less rich recipe probably won't leave you feeling short-changed. :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My first thought is too one note on the potato casseroles as her posts seem to reflect some taste sensitivities  but also an appreciation for variety. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FWIW...I make this with diced potatoes that are par--boiled for about 5 minutes in heavily salted water and drained. I usually use browned breakfast sausage in it for the flavor it adds, but I have also used chopped or minced ham. I beat the eggs with cream and some salt, pepper and Pickapeppa sauce, and I use a couple of cups of grated cheese of whatever varied kind is hanging around in my fridge (did one once with a big hunk of blue cheese, and added a layer of diced pears for good measure; THAT was excellent!). I stir about a cup and a half of cheese into the egg-cream mixture, and sprinkle the other half-cup on top. I don't bother with the corn flakes, but they do add a nice textural element.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Pork adobo in the oven braising at 250F.  Probably for dinner tomorrow as I prefer to chill the meat and gravy separately so I can remove the fat, shred the meat and pop it into the defatted jus.  I was thinking  of some nice fresh carrots and peas and some egg noodles though with all the talk of the Jezebel sauce maybe that with some of the pork on a rolls for lunch might be interesting.

• Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

@Kim Shook For me potato casseroles mostly over-do it. Too many textures and flavors competing.

I love a simple au gratin potato with a bit of garlic,, salt and cream...baked till golden on top and let sit to firm-up for 30 minutes.

If I add meat and other stuff it stops being a side dish and the flavors compete with whatever main I am serving.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Kim Shook For me potato casseroles mostly over-do it. Too many textures and flavors competing.

I love a simple au gratin potato with a bit of garlic,, salt and cream...baked till golden on top and let sit to firm-up for 30 minutes.

If I add meat and other stuff it stops being a side dish and the flavors compete with whatever main I am serving.

Sometimes too much can be TOO MUCH?!

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I had a taste the other day for a roast chicken, but didn't remember where I kept my favorite recipe.  Then it came to me, I use techniques that Thomas Keller uses in his cookbook, ad hoc at home.  I didn't include the root vegetables he calls for, and in addition to adding thyme, I added rosemary and sage to the cavity of the chicken.  Takes basically two days as I stuff the chicken with herbs and garlic, tie it up then put it in the fridge, uncovered, overnight, which helps the skin get crispy during roasting the next day. The poor bird doesn't look very good the next day, but after roasting it comes out a beauty, golden with crisp skin and the meat is very juicy.  

1 whole fresh chicken

3-4 cloves garlic, smashed

sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary and sage

salt and black pepper

olive oil and softened butter

Remove the giblets from the cavity of the chicken and season with salt and pepper.  Stuff the chicken with the garlic, thyme, rosemary and sage.  Truss the chicken, then rub all over with olive oil and rub the softened butter over the breast.

I place the chicken on a rack over a cookie sheet rather than on a roasting pan so that the hot oven air can get round all the bird.  It goes in a blazing hot oven at 475 for 25 minutes.  No basting, no turning yet.

Then lower the oven to 400, turn the cookie sheet around, and another 35-40 minutes until a thermometer registers 160.

And I remembered to resist the temptation I usually can't, let the chicken rest out of the oven for 20 minutes before carving.  Very delicious and I have to remind myself not to get anxious next time and follow this recipe for roasting a chicken.

IMG_1117.JPG

• Like 22
  • Delicious 2

A favourite chicken curry with fenugreek, kale subzi (kale with besan crumbles) eggplant bharta, rice. Bharta means to smash or mash. These eggplants get roasted in the oven first, then skinned, chopped and sautéed with onions, garlic, ginger and various spices including fennel seeds.

D535B7C7-1B8E-4D89-9F84-E26906F0430B.thumb.jpeg.6d303ed3bd9953969f5095f72476e7cf.jpeg

• Like 13