• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Hmmm. I'll have to give it another try, I suppose.

I've done a few things in my IP that would ordinarily be braises, and didn't feel they were quite as luscious as when cooked conventionally. Also, of course, there's the pleasure of smelling them for hours, but I'd be willing to forego that occasionally when needs must.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

@scubadoo97,  I was a little leery the first time I tried it, but was more than pleasantly surprised that they turned out no different that when I did them in the oven. 

Browning first in cast iron and adding everything including the broth to the PC while hot shortens the time even further.  Comes up to pressure quickly and then cooks for 50 minutes.  

If the shanks are on the large side I increase the time to 52 minutes on the Breville PC. 

Same with Oxtails.   I love the way they turn out in the PC as well. 

Looks really good.

Do you end up with a lot of braising liquid though? I have a large 6-7 qt PC so I have to add a lot of liquid. 

I mean...the liquid is so fatty that I'm assuming it couldn't be used as soup..so do you end up throwing it away or reduce it to a sauce or de-fat and save for broth? thanks 

28 minutes ago, eugenep said:

..the liquid is so fatty that I'm assuming it couldn't be used as soup..so do you end up throwing it away or reduce it to a sauce or de-fat and save for broth? thanks 

I use my lamb shank liquid as after refridgeration the fat solidifies and can be lifted off. I also freeze the spent bones to add to a new broth. Have some in freezer now awaiting a bean based soup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Hmmm. I'll have to give it another try, I suppose.

I've done a few things in my IP that would ordinarily be braises, and didn't feel they were quite as luscious as when cooked conventionally. Also, of course, there's the pleasure of smelling them for hours, but I'd be willing to forego that occasionally when needs must.

I too admit to really loving the aroma of meats and vegetables  roasting in the oven.  Just wonderful 

• Like 1

I agree @scubadoo97, but sometimes having the option of "quick" works.  Especially one that tastes just as good. 

2 hours ago, eugenep said:

Looks really good.

Do you end up with a lot of braising liquid though? I have a large 6-7 qt PC so I have to add a lot of liquid. 

I mean...the liquid is so fatty that I'm assuming it couldn't be used as soup..so do you end up throwing it away or reduce it to a sauce or de-fat and save for broth? thanks 

@eugenep,  I didn't put a lot of broth in. Just up to the minimum.   And the Breville PC is a 6 litre.    I had less than two cups of liquid left so I froze it with the solids (garlic, onion).   Too good to throw way.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 2

On a recent cruise, Deb and I enjoyed popcorn shrimp with a spicy tartar sauce a couple of times. I spotted some in the freezer section and gave them a try.

It seems just a few days ago that I stated that I never buy cooked shrimp, and off I went and did it. These were not bad (served with a kimchi tartar sauce), but I would make my own from scratch in the future and probably serve them as a side.

HC

IMG_0159.thumb.JPG.869e519edbd86a8959778223dda0bb78.JPGIMG_0166.thumb.JPG.a477d27137209054790e6c9501dba85a.JPG

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, HungryChris said:

Spotted these little steaks after a pretty late lunch with Deb and thought they might just fit into our dinner plans, which they did.

IMG_0151.thumb.JPG.e47966de989447c5a31ed93798e74fe9.JPG

I smeared them with roasted garlic compound butter and threw then onto a hot, hot grill for just a few scant minutes.

IMG_0154.thumb.JPG.52842f6f7dc32b8fbf0bb90d40fb5050.JPG

Some sour cream with the first of the season chives out of the herb tubs on the deck was a welcome addition.

HC

IMG_0156.thumb.JPG.b9d6b5fe7a21e0cbf427ecf5063967b3.JPGIMG_0158.thumb.JPG.4541bd37bc7b41f51161f37eff01a180.JPG

I do that all the time.  A garlic butter compound really elevates a steak in my opinion.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, mm84321 said:

Soectacular tonkastsu 

2FE0909E-2820-444A-9E4A-F74BFC2FCF2B.jpeg

A13C07C2-9CDE-4B52-9E22-446079214FB4.jpeg

1F038FE0-3945-4B31-85CA-5195C2188840.jpeg

AA2D737E-81C9-4E69-9CE8-19081B5C99A1.jpeg

One of my biggest regrets in life, is I spent 2 weeks on business in Japan.   I was only 26 years old.  Now I ate everything and didn't Americanize anything.  But my palate and likes weren't still developed enough to appreciate what I was eating.  I mean I liked sushi, but not like I do now.   I had so much great food then, but didn't appreciate it like I would now.   I hope to be able to go back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dante said:

Tonight's dinner, bratwurst with Texas Wiener sauce and Creole mustard, with rapini on the side.

Like the sauce but relaly gotta love the greem on the plate. I'd be all in

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sartoric said:

I had a meeting to attend last night, so dinner was early and snacky. Cheats samosas, filled with spicy potato and peas, served with a fresh spinach chutney.

By cheat you refer to using phyllo, right? 

If so, all you need is some marketing - call it "samosa borek" and you are no longer cheating - you are cooking innovative fusion food! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

~ Shai N.