• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

17 minutes ago, sartoric said:

My favourite stir fried okra with dal, mango pickle, rice and paratha.

Do you make the paratha from scratch?  It looks very similar to the Malay/Singaporean prata (many times made by Indian men)...  If you make it, can you provide the recipe?

• Like 1

Doing The Rounds

Top rounds are tough cuts of beef, but they are very reasonably priced. 

Found some at $1.99 a lb

SVed at 131F for 48 hours. Not bad. Tasty tender beef  for $1.99 a lb, no bones and no fat. 

dcarch191565921_toproundsteak.thumb.JPG.bce9e49022b7f84fdaa1aaa05ff5ee82.JPG1439642269_toproundsteak2.thumb.jpg.12ccabd8ec0457cd96b81b6413c2c881.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, sartoric said:

My favourite stir fried okra with dal, mango pickle, rice and paratha.

970D7229-7E9A-464F-A875-961E13992684.thumb.jpeg.fbe887499cb90fdc73727fcad4f61fdb.jpeg

@sartoric, you ought to try frying okra "southern style" sometime. Slice the okra about like you have it here. Let it sit in a bowl for maybe 20 minutes on the counter, to let some "slime" ooze out. Toss it in a bag of cornmeal mix (half cornmeal, half flour) that you've seasoned with salt and black pepper. Fry in about a quarter-inch of oil, without stirring, in a single layer, until it's golden; then stir to get the uncooked side down, and fry for another couple of minutes to get some color on that. Drain on a rack, on paper towels. Eat while it's hot, preferably with cream style corn, field peas, and lots of sliced tomatoes. Meal is markedly improved with the addition of a big wedge of piping hot cornbread, dripping with butter. If you must have meat, a pork chop is the best with this.

That sounds SO good right now. Alas, there are no good tomatoes to be had these days, until local ones begin to ripen.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I made Apricot Chicken (a la Meg, for the final episode of McLeod's Daughters bingeing on Amazon Prime).  It's mentioned in the series quite a few times, so I thought it would be fun to eat and watch.   I couldn't find apricot puree, so a low sugar apricot preserve was used, Lipton's onion soup mix, boneless skinless chicken thighs in the Instant Pot.  A few leftover gnocchi on the communal platter.  It was a nice sweet onion sauce.  I'd add a little sour to it somehow if I make this again, just my preference.  We enjoyed it.  Thanks Australia!

IMG_7631.JPG

Edited by lemniscate
spelling (log)
  • Like 12

20190404_183215.thumb.jpg.70ee38fcd9a176d35b9dc5e71cf02904.jpg

Barbecue sandwich plate, beans and fries. I cannot cook and eat this well for $7.58. And from deciding I wanted it, through picking it up, to sitting down to eat was 15 minutes.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Caldo verde on the stove.  Waiting for wifiy to get home.  Crusty bread to sop up the pot liquor 

sipping on on a private selection rum Clement.  Helps entertain while waiting for her arrival.  Getting her hair done.... 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

I made Apricot Chicken (a la Meg, for the final episode of McLeod's Daughters bingeing on Amazon Prime).  It's mentioned in the series quite a few times, so I thought it would be fun to eat and watch.  

After the discussion here, I'm working a mention of it into an article I'm writing. Just because.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I made Apricot Chicken (a la Meg, for the final episode of McLeod's Daughters bingeing on Amazon Prime).  It's mentioned in the series quite a few times, so I thought it would be fun to eat and watch.   I couldn't find apricot puree, so a low sugar apricot preserve was used, Lipton's onion soup mix, boneless skinless chicken thighs in the Instant Pot.  A few leftover gnocchi on the communal platter.  It was a nice sweet onion sauce.  I'd add a little sour to it somehow if I make this again, just my preference.  We enjoyed it.  Thanks Australia!

This might sound odd, but do you ever go to Lee Lee Int'l Food Markets? They have two stores up in PHX area as well as the one here in Tucson, so I'm guessing you might already know them. I've bought Goya brand lilikoi (passion fruit) purée in their frozen section and it might be a good substitute. Might also give that extra bit of acidity!  

If, by some small chance, you don't know Lee Lee's, it's a great place to browse for various offerings from various countries/regions. 

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

If, by some small chance, you don't know Lee Lee's,

Oh, I know LeeLee's.  I am a regular :x.  I was just no where near LeeLee's unfortunately when I started looking for apricot puree.  Sprout's had no such thing, I even tried the baby food aisle.   Everything is a multi-fruit-vegetable puree now.  I was hoping to find the Knudsen's nectar version.  No luck.  I could have bought some dried apricots and rehydrated/blitzed them, but the preserves were close enough for me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Shrimp cocktail and char broiled oysters with hot bread.

HC

Do you cook shrimp from raw or are they frozen cooked ones. ?

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Do you cook shrimp from raw or are they frozen cooked ones. ?

I refuse to buy cooked shrimp. I peel fresh (or frozen), raw shrimp completely, so that the entire shrimp can be eaten, steam them for four minutes, plunge them in ice water and pat dry when cold.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, lemniscate said:

IMG_7631.JPG

I SOOOOOO remember mom pop(grandfather) making this but wth Cornish game hens so each of us had a half. Though it also included some Catalina salad dressing.  I'll have to check and see if I can find his recipe in my books/cards.    Thanks for the reminder of my childhood🤗

4 hours of fieldwork yesterday cleaning and repairing bluebird houses.  Got home and cooked some GF pasta for John then made a sauce for it with burst cherry tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, scallions, capers, shrimp, lemon juice and, after removing from the fire, a swish in of sun dried tomato pesto.  

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 4/5/2019 at 7:18 AM, KennethT said:

Do you make the paratha from scratch?  It looks very similar to the Malay/Singaporean prata (many times made by Indian men)...  If you make it, can you provide the recipe?

No @KennethT I buy them frozen and reheat in a tawa. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lemniscate said:

IMG_7631.JPG

Next time try getting a can of halved apricots in syrup, drain the syrup and roughly mash or purée the fruit.

An Australian who grew up when this was the height of exotic cuisine. You’re welcome.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2