• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

A few recent dinners – Mr. Kim was in Urbanna VA last Saturday and Sunday judging a BBQ competition and brought home some of his tastings.  He made delicious soup with them:

DSCN9465.JPG.bb7a14c67218a339cb0436613a05a54e.JPG

I took the leftover smoke chicken from our trip last week and shredded it to make “pulled chicken” bbq:

DSCN9466.JPG.a9cc9cafe0f43227d9e0ad9f1e76e243.JPG

So good.

Another night was salad and pizza:

DSCN9467.thumb.JPG.3dc546fcf727bb55061b2243a499ba6f.JPG

DSCN9468.JPG.841048275cc399729d117277d2ba9013.JPG

I made the salad.  A local joint made the pizza.  It was fine.  I’ve given up on finding really good pizza in Richmond. 

Last night was taco night.  Chippy dip:

DSCN9469.JPG.f0ba105dfb2f9e522e8c6afb4fb4fd8e.JPG

Jessica’s amazing street corn (off the cob):

DSCN9470.JPG.ac4a5fb61e513771c541164bcde3a67a.JPG

Accompaniments:

DSCN9471.JPG.63b11b5f5bd6e55ee128d4baf7a0423e.JPG

My plate:

DSCN9472.JPG.8256c54324b40eeda2ed79169b977d52.JPG

Beans, taco, Jessica’s corn and Mexican rice (Rice a Roni).  My traditional end of taco meal salad, complete with Kraft Zesty Italian:

DSCN9473.JPG.952d6c095cfe7667cb5cc54536d68f1e.JPG

I’ve done this since college.  My roommate taught be about this delightful thing.  You just take everything that fell apart from your tacos, add more of what you are short of.  It must be served with Kraft Zesty Italian – very important.  It was the first time I’d ever had anything like this and we didn’t call it a taco salad. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Wife's birthday dinner - her request:

Smoked Duck deconstructed poutine (aka gravy on the side).

Smoked porcini sauce

Wild mushrooms

Oven baked Yukon fries

Young black truffle pecorino

'07 Arista Pinot

• Like 9

Duck Breast A L'Orange, Duckfat roasted potatoes with garlic and rosemary and spring greens with a blood orange vinaigrette.   My plating skills suck.   This is my first attempt so forgive me to post on here an actual photo.   I have done duck breast better, the breasts were smaller, and therefore didn't get the medium rare I wanted.  But man, I nailed the sauce.  I didn't want that typical cloying, sweet orange sauce that might as well be on some cheap Chinese buffet.   I had it with fresh orange juice, zest, shallots, thyme, and especially homemade duck stock.     I finished it with Cointreau, Cognac and butter.   The sauce rocked much better than the actual duck.    I now know how to nail the sauce.  next time I will do this with a whole roasted duck.

Duck Orange.JPG

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

Yes whole duck makes sense. I am more of a Julia traditionialist  https://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Grande-Dame-Duck-a-lorange  I do take liberties with the citrus as I live in citrus land so whatever looks good on the trees. It is all crazy now as we had RAIN!  Nice plate - manufacturer?

Plans changed tonight to what I had in the refrigerator:

Philips04012019.png

Last of dry aged beef.

Dinner04012019.png

More than satisfactory meal.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, Owtahear said:

Duck Breast A L'Orange, Duckfat roasted potatoes with garlic and rosemary and spring greens with a blood orange vinaigrette.   My plating skills suck.   This is my first attempt so forgive me to post on here an actual photo.   I have done duck breast better, the breasts were smaller, and therefore didn't get the medium rare I wanted.  But man, I nailed the sauce.  I didn't want that typical cloying, sweet orange sauce that might as well be on some cheap Chinese buffet.   I had it with fresh orange juice, zest, shallots, thyme, and especially homemade duck stock.     I finished it with Cointreau, Cognac and butter.   The sauce rocked much better than the actual duck.    I now know how to nail the sauce.  next time I will do this with a whole roasted duck.

Duck Orange.JPG

nice. I tried making it for the first time a few weekends ago based on this youtube Foodwishes Chef John video. And mine was really too sweet and I don't think I'm ever going to try again after that experience. I didn't do the long way of making a separate Gastrique and I think it was more like a pan sauce based on orange juice and a sugar with cognac etc. 

My Peking duck breasts were raw inside and uncooked because they were so thick but the outside had a lot of heat so I just took it off the heat (for fear of drying out and overcooking the outside) ate the inside raw - didn't taste gross but the dish overall was a thumbs down (for me). 

Glad it worked out for others with controlled sweetness - maybe that's the key or fatal blunder 

Edited by eugenep (log)
  • Sad 1

A tray bake with chicken thighs which had mingled for a while with chopped preserved lemon and oil from the jar. Potato, sweet potato and carrots to accompany plus garlic buttered spinach and a sauce made from pan drippings and the spinach water. 

This was very yummy and so easy.

1C8F7D1E-958C-4226-BD3B-A60F7DA81B9B.thumb.jpeg.ef90ca3b20a93b913502f1b963bc9121.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

23 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Smoked a meatloaf today.  Mashed potatoes and slaw 

0993B9A4-9A1F-476A-8D7C-FE24749DAE6B.jpeg

CF78BFAE-CCE8-4262-8AF6-63ABFD3C5B10.jpeg

SHOOT!!!  My father-in-law sold his place down there so can't ask if I can visit.  Though come to think of it I have a former high school classmate who still lives down there after retiring from the township a few years ago.

I SOOOOOOO want that meatloaf you can NOT believe.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Spent part of the morning at my moms condo donating furniture and anything else wanted to a church group.  Got rid of some furniture.  Still a lot left to donate.  They have more people in need

Picked up a chicken from the market and with some time on my hand (rainy day) decided to do a chicken ballotine for dinner.   Had to watch and rewatch Jacques Pepin’s video to refresh my memory on technique.  He makes it looks so easy.  It’s not hard but there is a definite method to the madness 

2B41A744-9DBD-4DDE-AAA8-7FFA7DE3FF84.jpeg

5C3B1C15-96F4-4471-915D-E813AB05BB54.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 6

Not my cooking, but an excellent dinner out in my hometown

BE017D54-5A3B-4341-AA07-AA1B926151F8.thumb.jpeg.e9c0d7a03c377eb28ea67848235e81ff.jpeg

Duck Leg Confit & Grilled Housemade Chorizo Sausage - with duck stock reduction & apple-mango chutney, toasted potatoes & carrots. Not sure the snow peas belonged with this dish, but they were fine. 

Edited to add this link to the restaurant site. 

The chef/owner has been with the business for 30 years and many of the kitchen staff have been with him for 15, 20 years or more. He’s a childhood friend who grew up in the old ‘hood so I like to eat here whenever I’m in town. Doesn’t hurt that it’s the best food around!

Edited by blue_dolphin
To add comment (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

I tried an experiment last night, using leftover roast chicken from the previous night to boost a mushroom curry. It worked really well flavour wise, and upped the protein count too. On the plate with kale subzi (sautéed kale with chickpea flour crumbs) five lentil dal, a little yoghurt flavoured with roast cumin and dill, plus rice.

76AFA27A-8A50-4A8F-B960-0A3A69755CB0.thumb.jpeg.2967d97e1c66a4ca1bb594b6459fddef.jpeg

• Like 10

First home cooked meal in 10 days (away on vacation).  Filet mignon with Roquefort-chive sauce, duck fat roasted potatoes and spinach

steak.thumb.jpg.2bc0ab1d44ef3ec0296e74fbae688af1.jpg

I don't eat beef so my dinner was chicken with the same accompaniments

chicken.thumb.jpg.4ece9ca23443ad272b67ffa3d4d99179.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

22 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

We had steak cooked on an indoor smokeless grill. It was the second time we used it.  The steaks turned out well.

20190402_174521.jpg

20190402_174929.jpg

Would you compare the taste of the steak to that of one cooked on a gas grill?  

• Like 2

Tried a Julia Turshen recipe from Small Victories last night.  John was supposed to be home around 5 so timed it for then.   Well how did THAT go?  I ate alone.

It was Flounder with Roasted Tomatoes and Black Olives.  Served with dome saffron rice and green squash that was steamed then sautéed with shallot, garlic and olive oil.  John said it's a keeper.

I thawed a pound of bison and am going to do a simple, Italian-American red meat sauce to have over pasta and a green salad for dinner tonight.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ciambotta.  The stew has tomatoes, onions, potatoes, eggplant, red bell peppers, garlic, zucchini and an oregano-basil pesto.  Next time I make this I am going to swap in mushrooms for the potatoes.

ciambotta.jpg.792a2158b8650f5b010a28e014854500.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1