• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

5 hours ago, shain said:

Butter roasted carrots with nigella, black sesame, cardamom, cumin, fennel seeds. Feta.

IMG_20190322_145759.jpg

IMG_20190322_145854.jpg

Those look so, so good!

• Like 4

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

Galician-style or simply grilled (Portuguese) is my favourite when it comes to octopus.  All you need is good olive oil, paprika powder and boiled potatoes. (SV it first)

XghZrYb.jpg

SV duck leg. Last summer I made a big batch of scotch-infused cherry compote and finally it's all gone.

Dke5RkB.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

On 3/27/2019 at 10:36 PM, eugenep said:

yeah..I should have slow cooked it at 325F. At 400F the outside would get crazy hot and dry out before the inside cooks which is what happened here. 

But I chose 400F because I needed the skin to brown. At 325F the skin would not brown in time. 

and I chose 400F because I was following the original recipe by Pepin at 

The Ballentine technique is technically brilliant but not easy (for me at least) to get the meat temperature perfect. 

I was super sad when I bit into that dry meat and dinner was not good. 

Why not Sous vide the thing to 145 and then sear in a pan?

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

You sauté the mushrooms ahead of time, yes? And the sauce?

No.  Sliced raw mushrooms* and mozzarella.  Bit of oregano.  Meant to add fresh basil out of the oven but I forgot.

*tossed with olive oil.

• Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No.  Sliced raw mushrooms* and mozzarella.  Bit of oregano.  Meant to add fresh basil out of the oven but I forgot.

*tossed with olive oil.

I don't pre cook anything on our pizza either.   

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

Why not Sous vide the thing to 145 and then sear in a pan?

To tell you the truth this was my first time doing it and I was doing it after work - like I come home at 7:30pm so I have like less than 2 hours. 

The oven seemed easy and true to the recipe. I'm just doing it to learn about technique currently. 

Hmm...and I'm not a fan of sous vide. The meat never tastes as good as traditional forms of cooking - pan fry, bake/roast, poach etc. - for some reason. 

1 hour ago, eugenep said:

To tell you the truth this was my first time doing it and I was doing it after work - like I come home at 7:30pm so I have like less than 2 hours. 

The oven seemed easy and true to the recipe. I'm just doing it to learn about technique currently. 

Hmm...and I'm not a fan of sous vide. The meat never tastes as good as traditional forms of cooking - pan fry, bake/roast, poach etc. - for some reason. 

SV does add time. 

I wouldnt SV everything. It isn’t as good as braising for short ribs for example. And I don’t see the point of SV for most fish or other tender quick cooking meat (except shrimp, for which it’s useful). 

SV plus sear makes great steaks, but so does pan sear and oven finish.  

But for chicken or turkey breast SV is pretty darn good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oddly despite what the internet might portray it is NOT a neigborhood. Nothing like K-Town in mid Wilshire  or the SGV for Chinese or Little Saigon in Orange County. But ya did pique interest so I will check around. "Cambodia Town" is close by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodia_Town,_Long_Beach,_California

Edited by heidih (log)

Baby bok choy stir fry.  With leftover steak.  Washed down with hoisin sauce.  I never claimed authenticity.  It's my dinner.

• Like 5

Sunday night is pizza night - and tonight I combined it with cleaning the fridge:

Shaved asparagus & Brie, sprinkled with Yuzu shichimi togarashi. That was one tasty pizza (followed by the usual mushroom & salami and anchovy & olive ones) ...

11707921-6C68-4690-9561-683538FEA959.thumb.jpeg.f494c38ec6095ea7997f907690260e87.jpeg

• Like 11

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Oddly despite what the internet might portray it is NOT a neigborhood. Nothing like K-Town in mid Wilshire  or the SGV for Chinese or Little Saigon in Orange County. But ya did pique interest so I will check around. "Cambodia Town" is close by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodia_Town,_Long_Beach,_California

huh... I had no idea... I always had heard that there was a large Thai concentration in LA, and just assumed it was concentrated in one area...

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Baby bok choy stir fry.  With leftover steak.  Washed down with hoisin sauce.  I never claimed authenticity.  It's my dinner.

You are drinking hoisin sauce?  On the rocks or do you MR it :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, chefmd said:

You are drinking hoisin sauce?  On the rocks or do you MR it :)

There was Soave too.  Not to be flippant I was using hoisin as a dipping sauce.  It was great with bits of steak.  The recipe for Simple Stir-Fried Greens is from Hsiao-Ching Chou's Chinese Soul Food (pp136-137).  Rice, of course, from my Zojirushi.

• Like 3