• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Wow ... looks fantastic !

Just wondering: is that sausage an “exception” for you ?

Thanks! And no, that's the reason half the pizza is with shrooms 😋

• Haha 1

~ Shai N.

50 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@BonVivant

I always enjoy your posts.

Ive never seen Monkfish on the bone

did you remove the membrane , and then tie the fish to keep its shape ?

how did you cook it ?

cheers

I can get it whole (half the price of skinned tails) or tails only (membrane removed and without bone). I usually buy it whole and use the rest for something else. Fishmonger always removes the membrane for me.

Here I seared the tail and roasted it in the oven. Tying it with butcher's twine makes it easy to turn when browning.

This is it and it's huge. Price has doubled in recent years.

kiHCujY.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

Some recent meals

Salmon with saffron rice

0181.thumb.jpg.7854fb249243ce4f47498bf2d9e0994c.jpg

Italian Sausage and Peppers (trigger warning for @rotuts)

012.thumb.jpg.5999264a6cc5f5791d61c2911a4025f6.jpg

SV sirloin (132 x 2 hrs) and roasted root vegetables

034.thumb.jpg.3765d61d5785a9736994ae1f2762a1c4.jpg

Paella with shrimp and chorizo

005.thumb.jpg.07563e54fd9ef7ff7fca8216c684246a.jpg

Bavette steak (SV 132 x 2 hrs)  with coffee/chilli/maple sauce, salt new potatoes, broccolini

029.thumb.jpg.8de5e6ba1d977066f6e9e09304b81b7d.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4
  • Confused 1

Dinner last night was a new to me dal (details on the curry cook off thread) leftover drumstick and potato curry, leftover okra and fresh rice with pickle.  I spoke to my Indian grocer friend during the week about drumstick vegetable. You never get the skin tender, it’s meant to have the flesh scraped off after cooking. Now that I know, I’ll definitely use it again. A fantastic flavour hard to describe. Funny how they look like okra on steroids.

D97A43A9-ACFD-4A67-93B5-E8B94BB73E7A.thumb.jpeg.cf19a91938bd68784eaa8a9574ce8ce6.jpeg

• Like 9

Realized I'm out of frozen spaghetti sauce, so I made a big batch on Saturday.  Had that along with homemade bread and venison meatballs

thumbnail_IMG_6056.jpg.3798eb7b0050691a109210e913c0794d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6057.jpg.95aeb4d7e7e7b406e02d64ca27c7d46e.jpg

Last night I fried some cod and also did some sous vide and fried frog legs

thumbnail_IMG_6060.jpg.41f43aea2db6329c093c4055f353d0a9.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6061.jpg.931e7caad64f50904ac2d45b1b9e64e9.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6062.jpg.656e804f76a35045403e03c487402851.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

@Shelby  Gotta say I am ccontinually envious how you are able to casually toss out venison x or y.  I realize it is a bounty of  your hunting. What I pay for something different like lamb or goat is outrageous...

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Shelby  Gotta say I am ccontinually envious how you are able to casually toss out venison x or y.  I realize it is a bounty of  your hunting. What I pay for something different like lamb or goat is outrageous...

Well, I'm jealous of your access to wonderful seafood and citrus fruits, so we're even :) 

17 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Well, I'm jealous of your access to wonderful seafood and citrus fruits, so we're even :) 

You need to get some dwarf citrus trees!!!  They make very nice houseplants as long as they can get enough light, and even without enough daylight, an inexpensive LED plant light and 24 hour timer is really all you need...  just in case you don't have enough to do, check out fourwindsgrowers.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

You need to get some dwarf citrus trees!!!  They make very nice houseplants as long as they can get enough light, and even without enough daylight, an inexpensive LED plant light and 24 hour timer is really all you need...  just in case you don't have enough to do, check out fourwindsgrowers.com

@Shelby And it's a lot of fun when people see the extremely bright light in your window and think you're growing weed!  Even more when you tell them it's just a lime tree and you can see them get disappointed... hehe

• Haha 1

Dinner last night was tuna patties, oh how I love thee with fresh tomato chutney.

Still damn hot here, so served with salad things, pickled mushrooms, pickled chilli, beetroot, balsamic tomatoes and a few green leaves.

BC12B67B-0613-43DF-BA8C-328277C237B6.thumb.jpeg.c7757e621b477e00d37649e59774d5d4.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T  Every season your halibut just kills me. The last I had was from a friend fishing in Alaska. I refuse to pay the price here for a poissibly questionable product. I coud  source  from my buds at Santa Monica Seafood but that is a logistic and financial stretch. Thank you!

So I tried to cook and ruined Beef Ribs for the first time! Followed the butchers instruction of 6 hours low. 

Worst thing I've ever cooked. Just rubber. I didn't even try mine after watching hub grimace, saw and choke through a couple of bites. Anything I can do to repurpose them? Bin? 

Luckily I always make too much potato salad. 

20190326_195505.thumb.jpg.34bd8e2e60d0f0299e5169ceccaea767.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

What a shame the ribs didn't come out nicely! I have the same question @TdeV has. You'll probably get some good "what to do next time" advice, once you answer.  In the meantime,...

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Anything I can do to repurpose them?

If the texture is the only problem - that is, if the flavor is good but the meat is just tough - there's hope.

One possibility is to cut it into small chunks (bite-sized, or smaller) and make hash. In a skillet, cook potatoes, onions, seasonings of your choice, and the meat chunks.When we cook hash we add the onions after the potatoes are nearly done, so the onions don't overcook; since the meat is already cooked it goes in at about the same time as the onions. There are far more experienced hash-makers than I who can give more thorough instructions if this sounds appealing, but it's a very forgiving dish. Here's one example.

Another possibility is to cut the meat as above, and use it in a stir-fry. 

Finally, you might be able to stew the meat and get it more tender - or at least extract flavor from it - but I think it depends on how it was cooked in the first place. More information, please!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My favourite Vietnamese dish, Bun Bo, from The Best of Nicole Routhier.  This is a great cookbook....small but packs a punch.  Basically it is shredded lettuce, shredded mint, shredded cucumber and bean sprouts as a base.  On top you place cooked thing rice noodles and on top of that is a mixture of stir fried beef, onion, lemon grass, garlic, curry powder then garnished with coriander leaves and toasted crushed peanuts.  Nuoc Cham with carrot is poured over the top.  (Nuoc Cham is fish sauce, rice vinegar, water, lime juice, sugar, chili and garlic).  It has so many textures from the chew beef, crunchy peanuts and snappy bean sprouts.  So good, we are having more tonight!

DSC02956.thumb.jpg.ea689223a0028128dd2485761001ef70.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2