• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

I don't eat a lot of tuna these days, but oil-packed is so vastly superior I just refuse to buy the water-packed kind.

I only recently had canned tuna packed in oil, may have been Ortiz brand, and what I found interesting was that the tuna did not seem “oily”, just more moist, I guess. I almost always eat tuna plain, so that would have been noticeable. Although I think if I were making tuna/avocado salad I would probably be inclined to stick with water packed.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

To me the calculus is simple: Tuna packed in oil retains much more of its flavor.

Given that it's not a daily staple for me, the price difference is meaningless and the caloric impact of a ml or two of oil equally so. I just want it to taste good when I do eat it, so I buy oil-packed.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

21 hours ago, sartoric said:

Gee, can’t you guys buy chilli tuna ? It’s regular tuna, canned with a chilli which flavours the oil and the tuna. I nearly always buy the chilli tuna. My favourite brand is Serena, but all brands have a chilli option :)

I don't think I've ever seen tuna packed with a chili here. I'll look for it. Like @chromedome and a few others uptopic, I've taken to buying oil-packed tuna. DH and I think it is much more flavorful and moist than water-packed.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

A couple of recent meals.   

Chicken cacciatore-style, served with green beans.  Boneless breast was dredged in seasoned flour then sauteed in olive oil.  (Sauce from a jar - a new Ragu garden blend which isn't half bad.)

chicken-cac.jpg.eef1c22d74dc196903acb1cb51504c80.jpg

Steak, cooked SV then seared, served with mac noodles with peas and butter.

steak-mac.jpg.a9c841ed9b6aaed388947104961f3f00.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Our dinner is ready but we are not ready to eat yet.  Our March 17th meal is of course home made corned beef. We will also have cabbage, parsnips, rutabagas, carrots, scones with pear and Irish cheddar, Irish butter and potatoes. Here is how it looks now. I don't think I will be able to post a picture of it after it is served. 

20190317_155815.jpg

20190317_155827.jpg

20190317_155837.jpg

20190317_155843.jpg

20190317_160126.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

10 hours ago, chromedome said:

It turns up in Canadian supermarkets, though it's certainly not a popular/mainstream item.

It's pretty much the only canned tuna I buy now, the tuna with Thai chiles. I don't buy canned tuna often but every now and then I get in the mood for a sandwich and that's the tuna I grab. Expensive little cans (relative to some of the other tunas) where I live but, like you mentioned in another post, it's not an every day item so I don't really worry about the extra cost at that end of the scale. It's not like the cost difference between a Ferrari and a Schwinn. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

18 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

please hold the rutabagas

But rutabagas are what all good turnips want to grow up to be. :P :D

• Haha 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Dinner last night featured kali dal, named after my favourite Indian goddess, Kali, the mother and destroyer.

Also mushrooms with spinach curry, ghee rice and cucumber raita.

F8E0F377-4908-42E5-9896-029866C5881A.thumb.jpeg.ca4aaf3fc7855de8012a3f21cf5e7618.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

St. Patrick's Day corned beef, cabbage and potatoes... with a twist. Corned beef burger with smoked cheddar, lettuce, tomato, sweet onion, garlic dill pickles, dijon mustard and mayo. Crispy smashed potatoes and a mustard-based hot slaw.

St-Patty-Brgr1.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

20190317_190416.thumb.jpg.727fb261f705d69d3fdf209698b0d414.jpg

I finally nailed how to cook a relatively thin (1") rib eye so it's tender but not overdone. SV 3 hours at 125. Chill. Sear in flaming hot iron skillet 3 minutes on a side.

First time I've turned on my stove in a week. Worth waiting for.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 14

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Corned beef, cabbage and carrots.  Corned beef (point cut brisket) was cooked SV at 180F for 10 hours (pre-soaked in cold water overnight).  SV bag just had the spice packet and some weights.  At the end of the 10 hours the cabbage and carrots were put in a big bowl with the liquid from the SV bag and then microwaved until tender, about 12 minutes.

corned-beef-cabbage-3.jpg.c1b870cc551f3476f564422be2aee5a3.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Tonight trout, avocado, coleslaw, Soave, bread, pistachio gelato, Maraschino cherry....

Dinner03182019.png

Bread03182019.png

Gelato and Maraschino cherry not shown.  You know what Soave looks like, don't you?

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Pork slivers stir fried with fresh cepès, porcini, penny buns, boletus edulis, 牛肝菌  or whatever. Garlic, chilli, ginger, Chinese chives, Shaoxing wine and soy sauce. Served with rice and stir fried lettuce with oyster sauce.

1397029713_porkcepes.thumb.jpg.bd5a8179465e721b57fb1c92e2c9170f.jpg

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 hours ago, sartoric said:

Dinner last night featured kali dal, named after my favourite Indian goddess, Kali, the mother and destroyer.

I think of Kali whenever I hear the expression "forewarned is forearmed."

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Traditional corned beef and cabbage done in the Ninja--first time using the slow cooker function.

thumbnail_IMG_6034.jpg.b8036caefef31a8e28f82dcca0d45633.jpg

And a new recipe.  Pesto pull apart bread.  I was rushed for time.  Should have cut the squares of dough more uniformly, but it tasted good.  And it's green ;)

thumbnail_IMG_6033.jpg.74bc826c255986721b86d412e1716c71.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6035.jpg.63ed22a20294c011a707ffbb017bbc21.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6038.jpg.0c199bd241baa0c64f211174d0453c30.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

On 3/16/2019 at 4:56 PM, suzilightning said:

UHHHH.....

not that I have seen in New Jersey......

Starkist makes tuna in pouches with different flavorings. Most US supermarkets should carry some of the flavors (click). On that web page, click on the blue bars titled "Tuna Creations Bold" & "Tuna Creations" to see the different flavors.

I like the Hickory smoked tuna. It really changes up the usual tuna casserole for the better.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

There are very times out of the year when anyone can predict what we will be having for dinner,  but on March 18th, it will always be Rueben sandwiches.  That usually finishes up our corned beef but this time I corned a whole brisket so there will be some hash soon and probably some for the freezer too. 

20190318_171823.jpg

• Like 11