• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Yesterday's dinner was nothing much worth mentioning. I came from a box in the freezer. Dessert was improvised. It was not very pretty but worth trying again. It was a very ripe and juicy pear over melted cherry ice cream and topped with some sour cherry jam. Todays dinner was veal piccata with egg noodles and a salad.

20190310_180805.jpg20190309_181217.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 18

Well, we fell upon dinner and all that I have left is a photo of the leftovers. Chicken meatballs (finely chopped arugula is the green) with some interesting pasta given to us by my Sicilian BIL (Strozzapreti), sauced with vodka sauce (courtesy of TJ’s). Cooked spinach on the side, now kind of mixed in.

50D63452-3EE8-4275-9DBB-63F89E2A9DB3.jpeg

Edited by BeeZee
added pasta name (log)
  • Like 15

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Trying to catch up reading posts...difficult but SO much deliciousness!

Been very busy getting "stuff" ready for travel insurance, income tax, home security, paying bills, and deciding on what clothes to take!

We travel light - one carry-on each and computer bags - for 5 weeks! Onto Malaysia for 10 days visiting friends, then 29 day group tour to Indonesia.

So, I am trying to cook up bits and pieces from the fridge and the freezer.

Tonight, I thawed and used up a bag of beef tenderloin trimmings from Xmas Wellingtons. Made Beef Stroganoff over Zeroodle Penne and a green salad. 

54385480_BeefStroganoff8562.jpg.513c38296a480dfee26dd567c73027a8.jpg

Other meals: Korean Roast Chicken, carrot fries and baby gai lan

816422840_KoreanRoastChicken8539.jpg.df04cf900ce5838a9a7ed61dfaa0d3d0.jpg

Prime Rib, mashed cauliflower:

820566202_PrimeRib8541.jpg.7c84a73f65a283e36059cbf7972cc54b.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Dejah, I wish you would come help cook through my refrigerator and freezer! Your results are always so delightful!

On the otherr hand: would I rather you come help clear out my stuff, or go on your trip to Malaysia and Indonesia, then report about it?  No contest: Malaysia and Indonesia win. I do hope you'll consider food-blogging during the trip, or else reporting about the food afterward.

• Like 10

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Seconded

Thirded!!!!

@Dejah Will you be spending any time in Yogyakarta?  My wife and I will be spending about a week in that area in the summer so we'd love to see some specifics about there - but I'd love to see all of it!  Malaysia is high up on our list, and there is so much of Indonesia left to see....

• Like 2

@rotuts

My tomato soup --  We went to Costco and bought the little cherry type tomatoes/  has 4 or 5 different ones including red,orange and yellow.  I saute'd garlic and onion, then added a like touch of Proseco to deg laze ( reduced ) then added the tomatoes, cooked  till tender.  placed in a blender,  added some salt and pepper buzzed it and strained it.  Pretty easy peasy.  The tortellini was made by my Italian friends ancient auto  machine.  Forgot to mention  I cooked them in butter

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 4

Its good to have Morels

Trying to entice my mother-in-law (while trying to help out my sister and brother-in-law at bit) into eating something halfway good for her. I made a mini venison meatloaf with a bit of sharp cheddar in the middle (she needs protein), a venison hamburger  vegetable soup which is mostly veggies and a few deviled eggs.  We will see.  It all might end up being my brother-in-laws lunches for the week. 😂

thumbnail_IMG_5994.jpg.bad425b2b51f3fd97907097cd0ca102a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5999.jpg.81eedd95cdb357d3c4bbf0b5e12c2df3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5995.jpg.05c3484b713f8635c26f695a4f4a7b74.jpg

For us,  a regular size venison meatloaf, again with some cheddar inside.

thumbnail_IMG_5997.jpg.fc63808e13e8fe6ed46f6ccf50ebdc08.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5998.jpg.9ac0b4ec4d1c2ca19aab1e0e4b52895c.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

My second rendition of a Detroiter:   This I added Diastatic malt and 72% hydration.  But I placed it on a stone, which I don't think was ready to go.  Cheese is  white cheddar and moz

I still like my sauce baked on--  so until i get it closer it is what it is

40383526883_19fc1ba79e_b.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Its good to have Morels

Back from vacation :)

Chili with beans, mushrooms, smoky braised frozen tofu. The base sauce made with toasted dry ancho, chipotle and sweet chili.

Cornbread more akin to the southern style, but with some wheat and a small amount of sugar.

IMG_20190215_144252.jpg

IMG_20190215_144422.jpg

IMG_20190215_143000.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

22 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Seconded

Will try to keep you posted. Depends on WiFi and how busy they keep us. Hope to have more time when we are in Yan, Malaysia, as we are staying at our friends. I am hoping her elder sisters will be there to cook for us again! We ate SO well when we were there in 2013 - breakfast, lunch, dinner, evening snacks, something different every day!

This will be the last meal I am cooking for the next 5 weeks, and my fridge is pretty much cleaned up now except for a few eggs, hald a container of Greek yogurt, and 2 pints of raspberries. Will eat that up for breakfast and lunch. Supper will be pizza delivery!

The Last Supper: last of the beef trimmings, a bag of bean sprouts, a lump of ginger, few scallions, and a bag of zeroodle fettucinni = Close-enough to Ho Fun! 😁
                                                                  1170833840_BeefHoFun8563.jpg.beee0c6aac9949fe0584ccc9adc7a910.jpg

• Like 17

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

14 hours ago, KennethT said:

Thirded!!!!

@Dejah Will you be spending any time in Yogyakarta?  My wife and I will be spending about a week in that area in the summer so we'd love to see some specifics about there - but I'd love to see all of it!  Malaysia is high up on our list, and there is so much of Indonesia left to see....

I haven't looked closely at the whole itinerary, but I'll keep you in mind! Apparently, there is an active volcano in the area, and its last eruption was in May, 2018!😮

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

9 hours ago, Dejah said:

I haven't looked closely at the whole itinerary, but I'll keep you in mind! Apparently, there is an active volcano in the area, and its last eruption was in May, 2018!😮

There are seemingly constant eruptions in the area - but the Indonesian authorities are probably the best in the world about predicting them, and evacuating danger areas.  Last year, we were in Bali when Mt. Agung was erupting - luckily, the winds were blowing away from the airport so there were no problems with flights, and it didn't interrupt our schedule at all.