• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

啤酒鸭 (pí jiǔ yā) -  Beer Duck.

Duck with garlic, onion, ginger, star anise, chilli, dried tangerine peel, chives braised in beer. Non traditionally, I used Belgian "Trappistes Rochefort" because that is what I had.

Served with rice and wilted spinach.

duck2.thumb.jpg.c63168f0bc40d06ff314d86e803ebdde.jpg

duck1.thumb.jpg.99010857d1a07f47f68c976c1015f240.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 2/21/2019 at 12:03 PM, Dejah said:

By the time I got home, I was too beat to cook sides, so picked up A & W burgers for our supper. We like the A & W burgers the best of the 3 main fast food places.  The latest promo is the '56 Burger to celebrate the 56th year of the company. I got the '56 Mama Burger in lettuce wrap. A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a lettuce wrap burger from "the other big chain". Protein is different but same concept. What a difference! Now you know why we prefer A & W. Are there any of this chain in USA?

Apparently it exists, but there's minimal resemblance between the US and Canadian iterations of the brand.

https://thetakeout.com/canadian-a-w-burger-fast-food-worth-crossing-border-1832757524

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 minutes ago, chromedome said:

there's minimal resemblance between the US and Canadian iterations of the brand

In that case they can't be "iterations". Iteration means "repetition". Different "versions", maybe?

(Sorry. Pet peeve. Most misused word of the decade.)

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

No worries, and no apology necessary. As a word-merchant by profession, and a pedant by predilection, I have more than my share of pet peeves.

(I also have peeves about my pets, but that's another topic entirely)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

46 minutes ago, chromedome said:

No worries, and no apology necessary. As a word-merchant by profession, and a pedant by predilection, I have more than my share of pet peeves.

(I also have peeves about my pets, but that's another topic entirely)

Apostrophe abuse is at the top of my own long list.

• Haha 1

@Paul Bacino

Id like to hear a little more on how you made that stunning looking " Soup "

this one :

imageproxy_php.jpeg.78ca9845b1cd5e8858131fd31c655012.jpeg

Im not a big fan of RedSauce for pasta , I do love it in Lasagna and the like.

the above might change my mind and include tortellini in the Red Column .

what was the sauce's consistency ?

I have some tortellini from Tj's , and Im going to aim for something similar

nothing home made , and TJ's Parmesan-ish rather than the Real Deal .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Last night's dinner was a simple soup, just slightly adapted from a Donna Hay recipe.

656854585_AsianChickenSoupMarch5th2019.thumb.jpg.09f202a7ad55d9f1abb48bd93e4bac0b.jpg

Asian Chicken Soup.

We were saving room for dessert.

1668608055_ChocolateLayerCakeMarch5th20191.thumb.jpg.d43c474f75c871d992fc2c3d45de614f.jpg

Baked a Chocolate layer cake yesterday.

2103902060_ChocolateLayerCakeMarch5th20192.thumb.jpg.bc13d65161eccf909a2644ebf41f670e.jpg

Moe said he couldn't remember the last time that had happened.   Probably because it had

been at least 10 years. Maybe longer.  

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

4 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

@chord--we like that curry packet too.  Not sure we get the hot?

This was my first time making it, so I can't really compare it to any other version. I wouldn't have called it hot though, at least not in the sense of being spicy. Perhaps this version has more curry powder than the standard variety.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I've seen that same sauce packet in supermarkets here in China, but never bought it. Not a big fan of Japanese curry.

It's definitely an acquired taste. I'd never made it before, but I'd eaten it many times when I lived in New York. The boxed curry was nowhere near as complex as the versions I had at Go Go Curry or Curry-Ya, but it wasn't bad at all for a hearty dinner without much effort. At some point I'll try another brand, after some googling it seems that S&B doesn't rank all that highly in taste tests.

• Like 2

@Shelby is that broccoli salad a raw one?  John's cousin insists on bringing a raw broccoli salad to every meeting which is nice but it causes some ... interesting outputs .....

• Haha 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thanks @rotuts.

Last night's dinner was based on a recipe in Donna Hay's 'The Instant Cook' Cook Book.

And tonight's dinner was from the same book.

Moe loved this dish. 
854185098_GrilledchickenandVegetableStacksMarch6th2019.thumb.jpg.bc2b9339a0928436628d91ff1ea4d4ea.jpg
Chicken breast sliced horizontally into three slices and grilled along with  eggplant, zucchini and red peppers, served warm and topped with Arugula and a dollop of a homemade pesto in mayonnaise sauce.

• Like 13

12 hours ago, suzilightning said:

@Shelby is that broccoli salad a raw one?  John's cousin insists on bringing a raw broccoli salad to every meeting which is nice but it causes some ... interesting outputs .....

Yeah, all raw.  Even without raw broccoli, this house is full of interesting outputs from both man and beast lol.

I did a beef brisket a couple days ago which became last nights dinner

IMG_5986.JPG.4296a79c681c3473a5f66059f229e397.JPG\IMG_5985.jpg.d77da78b46393ff73d825d41579b8647.jpg

IMG_5987.jpg.94cf020f95e0982f505849af16d70d87.jpg\

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

33 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Even without raw broccoli, this house is full of interesting outputs from both man and beast lol.

😂😂😂

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog