• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

C5352470-6987-4FF3-866E-CDDAB973FBAC.thumb.jpeg.ed82db7a5553786c3caac947471988bf.jpeg

Eggs and tomatoes with rice.    

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A couple of meals:

Usually make Ma Po Tofu, but I kept the tofu out of this dish and fried them up as a side. This is ground chicken, Toban sauce, diced bell pepper, onion, and eggplant

Blanched baby Gai Lan with Ponzu .   

1789897805_MaPoChicken8510.jpg.fa411d4448562b66c82f5ca7b3e0c797.jpg

Leftover Spicy Chicken made perfect lettuce wrap with fresh beansprouts and Thai basil

895062080_SpicyChickenLettuceWrap8514.jpg.0a295465e66226988d555570258a3392.jpg

Stealhead Trout baked with Dijon mustard. I used whole grain, Dijon, and dill mustard.

1032533344_SteelheadTrout8520.jpg.a470f6dd88ca0ed3c764daaccbebac10.jpg                                                                                                                    

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

39 minutes ago, Dejah said:

A couple of meals:

Usually make Ma Po Tofu, but I kept the tofu out of this dish and fried them up as a side. This is ground chicken, Toban sauce, diced bell pepper, onion, and eggplant

Blanched baby Gai Lan with Ponzu .   

1789897805_MaPoChicken8510.jpg.fa411d4448562b66c82f5ca7b3e0c797.jpg

Leftover Spicy Chicken made perfect lettuce wrap with fresh beansprouts and Thai basil

895062080_SpicyChickenLettuceWrap8514.jpg.0a295465e66226988d555570258a3392.jpg

Stealhead Trout baked with Dijon mustard. I used whole grain, Dijon, and dill mustard.

1032533344_SteelheadTrout8520.jpg.a470f6dd88ca0ed3c764daaccbebac10.jpg                                                                                                                    

Looks lovely.  I have the makings for mapo tofu but can't get up the energy to grind the meat.  Hopefully tomorrow night.

Edit:  is that cilantro?

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have been busy lately.

A recent cook;

Roasted duck semi-Peking style. Peking duck is all about crispy skin on steamed buns. No time for making steamed buns, just biscuits-in-a-tube. Not bad actually. :-)

Very happy with how the skin turned out.

dcarch

1822162724_Pekingduckbiscuits2.thumb.jpg.670ec9678ca8156979fa4055b55bb11a.jpg

1209779073_Pekingduckbiscuits.thumb.JPG.994a3243410c086d3db30063086988ca.JPG

• Like 16
  • Delicious 4

14 hours ago, TdeV said:

Paul, looks interesting. What is it?

This was a RibEye Cap Roll ( so the top muscle of the rib eye )  That I pounded a bit to flatten it out..  inside is an Italian ham, provel cheese, herbs and bread crumbs.  I tie it up and braise it in my Sunday gravy sauce.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

7 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Sunday gravy sauce

Paul, you realise that you're being tantalising with your descriptions, doncha? 🙃 C'mon, fess up, what's in it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Paul, you realise that you're being tantalising with your descriptions, doncha? 🙃 C'mon, fess up, what's in it?

The Base:

1 Can of Hunts 28 oz Sauce     

1 Can of Hunts paste/  here deviates how people enjoy it in the different tribes--I use a 6 oz/ others enjoy a more paste driven sauce and will add 12 or two 12's

I prefer a thinner sauce.

Meat with bones is the key/ but you need to be able to access the marrow/  I do pork neck bones / feather bones ( transverse of the spine )/ short ribs/ chops/ basically any other of that type.  Here i did braciala..

Season first , sand p/ brown in evoo.  careful not to burn.  I will then remove the meat drain the fat.  ADD butter and evoo ..I then add chopped fresh garlic and onions, cut 

i then use a white sweeter wine usually (  I think i have some local Nebraska whites  )  :)  otherwise I have di asti. to  In the days of old we used Piasano  :)

Reduce..  u can then add in the sauce and meat

Italian seasoning--I have two types one has some fennel/anise--the other is just the combo of dried traditional ( oregano,parsley, garlic seasoning and the such )

\

Depending I do add a touch of sugar.

Cook 3-4 hrs / about an hr left I add in meatballs (Thats another day )  :)

Thats really it---sure we can do crushed san marsano ..la te dah--u can do fresh/  i love when my garden tomatoes are on--but in the end  my family doesnt like stewed tomatoes  , they prefer sauce.

Cheers  Doc B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Looks lovely.  I have the makings for mapo tofu but can't get up the energy to grind the meat.  Hopefully tomorrow night.

Edit:  is that cilantro?

I assume you are asking about the little sprig of greenery...Yes. It's cilantro. I love it and often eat it like lettuce in a sandwich.
Other leafy greenery was Tahi basil and the bigger ones are baby gai lan

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

Eggs and tomatoes with rice.    

Most excellent comfort food. This was a dish all my Chinese students knew how to cook and cook often.

They are confused when I say I also add stir-fried beef with this dish - maybe more of my Toisanese roots showing up?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

19 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Most excellent comfort food. This was a dish all my Chinese students knew how to cook and cook often.

They are confused when I say I also add stir-fried beef with this dish - maybe more of my Toisanese roots showing up?

Well I do not have any traditions to mess up so stir-fried beef sounds like a good plan.  But the sheer simplicity is still its greatest asset. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I may have said this before, but I am sure that there no-one in China over the age of eight who can't cook egg and tomato!

Some years back, I asked a group of 18 year old students to write me the instructions for any "Chinese" dish they could cook. 95% chose egg and tomato! I'd say for 96% of those, it was possibly the only thing they could cook.

It seldom appears on menus, but you can always get it. There isn't 1 in 1.4 billion people can't throw it together.

The downside is that for vegetarians. which I thank all the gods I'm not , it's the only dish they ever get!

Nothing wrong with it, though. And seldom served alone. The animals parts will be another dish.

Edited by liuzhou
putting the letters in the correct order (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Spent the day with my wife  walking the causeway and a place called honeymoon island  in my town of Dunedin.   Probably 12-14 miles.  Small breakfast, no lunch, lots of water, so ready for dinner.  Prepped 2 chickens when we got home, split them in half and seasoned them with a salt/sugar mix to rest overnight before hitting the smoker tomorrow.  Cooking for my son, his girlfriend and my BIL.  Then settled down to making dinner.   Simple bagged Rana brand mushroom ravioli which was topped and mixed with butter sautéed sliced brown mushrooms, fresh thyme and a generous spill of 2014 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast Pinot and side salad.   The ravioli was delicious with that mushroom sauté.  

• Like 6

Sous Vide D’Artagnan Milanese Berkshire pork chops (139 for 2.5 hrs. Torched)

roasted tomatillo salsa

guacamole

mezcal margarita with chipotle salt/sugar rim. 

green bean salad

A55F1A30-5DDB-47DE-8FCF-2675AC38EC20.jpeg

AB3E9FA1-3F20-4A1C-B6DF-00E2522F2002.jpeg

2736A1AC-BB9E-4CF4-8AC2-9A4A6D842EB3.jpeg

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Fire in the hole... which is probably going to take on an entirely different meaning tomorrow morning. The packages of fresh Thai chiles at the store didn't look like they had much in them so I grabbed two. There was more in there than I thought, wound up with over 50 chiles and, well, you know, waste not, want not. So they all went in. Actually not as bad as I was expecting. The Thai restaurant I frequented where I used to live had an off-menu heat level for the curries you could request that they called "Thai hot" which the server would try to convince you that you didn't want if she didn't know you as a regular who'd had it before. This one wound up about that same heat level so I was happy with it.

thaiflaminchix.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Sterling Silver Sirloin Tip roast at a good price this week...$3.99 / lb. Found a cou-ple around 2.5 lbs with nice marbling so I did one up in the sous vide for my grandson's meals. It was great! Cut it into thick slices if he wanted to have a "steak".

134688418_SirloinTiproast130F@24hours8523.jpg.8e1bb9eb23f4b7a55fe255086e09e832.jpg  

I had a craving for bitter melon - must be because of these -40C windchill temps we keep getting!

Ground chicken with Bitter Melon, black beans AND Toban sauce.  Eaten with Zeroodles mushroom fried rice.

1554968787_ChickenBitterMelon8526.jpg.83728b15bcf61a7db6c36181daca0f4a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Back on Ishigaki island again where I stayed the last 3 days in Okinawa. Wanted to eat at this restaurant earlier but it was full so I returned for dinner. Ishigaki has its own beef production and of course there are many (high-end) beef restaurants on the island.

D9tv44i.jpg

ZCTFhNj.jpg

nR5W0J8.jpg

They have videos of the farms where the pork and beef come from.  To order one browses the menu on the same tablet. Everyone round me ordered so much meat. Mine was already too much.

BIju5OC.jpg

The restaurant, taken earlier.

EVP3XLq.jpg

Wanted to try the meats after seeing these 2 pages on the window. The pigs are a Japanese species according to the translation app.

gS07Pgy.jpg

Mine at home.

rd96Jfe.jpg

Lsyfzbk.jpg

• Like 9