• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Chip & dip pizza

IMG_0248.thumb.jpg.b371bac31d19213f3492baf20296f7f4.jpg

Ottolenghi's Simple has a Pizza Bianca that's topped with a mix of mascarpone, pecorino Romano, anchovy, lemon zest, spring onions and sage beneath thin, roasted, slices of potato.

I made it simpler yet with just a layer of Boursin under the spuds, which are russet instead of the specified new potatoes.  The crust was the pizza/pita dough from Shaya. So, yeah, nothing really from that original recipe 🙃

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

On 2/21/2019 at 9:03 AM, Dejah said:

Had a prime rib in the oven a couple of nights ago. Got a frantic call from d-i-l who had to go to emergency at the hospital. Son was away to a conference. Luckily, I had the oven on @275F and got hubby to turn it off after 3 hours as I was longer than anticipated.
By the time I got home, I was too beat to cook sides, so picked up A & W burgers for our supper. We like the A & W burgers the best of the 3 main fast food places.  The latest promo is the '56 Burger to celebrate the 56th year of the company. I got the '56 Mama Burger in lettuce wrap. A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a lettuce wrap burger from "the other big chain". Protein is different but same concept. What a difference! Now you know why we prefer A & W. Are there any of this chain in USA?
A & W '56 Mama Burger Lettuce Wrap
                                                       2147268785_AW56MamaBurgerlettucewrap8460.jpg.de6daa5febb02ad618f4ef6715409606.jpg

The other chain's Jalapeno Chicken Lettuce Wrap

604670963_McDsJalapenoChicken8411.jpg.b55a45f7bb1a706dc5667f721ef0ef55.jpg

We finally got to eat the prime rib roast last night. I am in love with the Anova for reheating the roast without overcooking! The roast was medium by the time hubby turned the oven off but left it for another hour before I got home. After 1 hour @135F, it came out the same!

465490211_SousVidereheatPrimeRib8465.jpg.929c95896d35d6de756ab79f262a214c.jpg

I have a question about the reheating the prime rib, and then I want to go back to A & W since nobody else has responded.

When you reheated the prime rib @135F for an hour,

(a) did you simply reheat individual slices, or the whole thing and then slice?

(b) how tightly did you seal the meat - full vacuum seal, or simply displacement method in a zip-lock style bag?

The roast looks delightful.

Now, back to your A & W question: yes, we still have them in the USA although I think they've lost a lot of market share to other chains. It was our family's preferred burger chain when I was growing up, and I especially remember the burgers and fries we'd get from them on a road trip. Ther sauce in particular was excellent. I had to go online to see whether any still exist, though.

Thanks for showing the difference between their lettuce wraps and "the other chain's" lettuce wrap. That's a deal-maker right there!

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy:

When you reheated the prime rib @135F for an hour,

(a) did you simply reheat individual slices, or the whole thing and then slice?

(b) how tightly did you seal the meat - full vacuum seal, or simply displacement method in a zip-lock style bag?

I cut a chunk of maybe 3" thick sans ribs , 2/3 of the 2 ribber, resealed it in a new vacuum bag, then back into the sous vide. Sliced it when it came out at the end. 
I haven't trust myself to try the displacement method in a ziplock. Have you tried that?
Just pulled the other 1/3 from the freezer. It is now thawed and will be eaten for sandwiches at lunch.

• Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

29 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I made it simpler yet with just a layer of Boursin under the spuds, which are russet instead of the specified new potatoes.  The crust was the pizza/pita dough from Shaya. So, yeah, nothing really from that original recipe 🙃

I like your version better and for me it’s doable although I would have to cheat even more and buy the crust! I might even be lazy enough to substitute with kettle chips. No apologies for me — you do what you gotta do!   Thanks for sharing. You are always inspiring.  

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

34 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Chip & dip pizza

IMG_0248.thumb.jpg.b371bac31d19213f3492baf20296f7f4.jpg

Ottolenghi's Simple has a Pizza Bianca that's topped with a mix of mascarpone, pecorino Romano, anchovy, lemon zest, spring onions and sage beneath thin, roasted, slices of potato.

I need this in my life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Forgot to pull protein from the freezer the night before, so I decided to try frozen meat in sous vide.

Bought a whole pork loin a while back and had cut it into thirds. These were in ziplocks, but I took it out, seasoned it with commercial Creole seasoning, then decided to throw in a couple of Thai lime leaves and lemongrass.

Water temp was brought up to 150F, and the roast cooked for 3.5 hours Lovely! The meat is so lean, but it came out tender, moist, with a hint of floral. 

924262998_PorkLoinRoastSV8470.jpg.8ae3c3b1014377e81635e343b783a4f8.jpg

Eaten with bacon wrapped asparagus, oven roasted along with carrot fries and chayote. Hubby always wants apple cause with his roast pork.

1996867835_PorkLoinRoastSVplated8473.jpg.33ad6acdae06584dadd7e2fddc1c663a.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

bet you are glad @Shelby

that those raspberries knew your name

at first glance , I thought you wandered into a High End pastry shop 

on your Big City Adventure

I thought those two beauties were a multi-layered ganache filled chocolate cake !

I almost lost it right there !   I didn't see one for me !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dinning solo

What to do with 4 large white shrimp while still in the burger mood. 

Puréed one shrimp with a little wheat bread that I did a medium grind on in the food processor with a little mayo.  Turned it into a paste, then more coarsely chopped up the remaining 3 shrimp and mixed it all together and breaded it in the remaining bread crumb.   Fried in butter.  Salt to season.   

0FFA1405-01E3-4D68-81E7-74E0A34EC62E.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

53 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Dinning solo

What to do with 4 large white shrimp while still in the burger mood. 

Puréed one shrimp with a little wheat bread that I did a medium grind on in the food processor with a little mayo.  Turned it into a paste, then more coarsely chopped up the remaining 3 shrimp and mixed it all together and breaded it in the remaining bread crumb.   Fried in butter.  Salt to season.   

0FFA1405-01E3-4D68-81E7-74E0A34EC62E.jpeg

That is pretty much how I make my shrimp burgers.  Looks delicious!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Never mind.  I wasn't very hungry anyhow.

Yeah, I've had that dinner more often that I care to confess to in such esteemed company. Still, there's always tomorrow.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

over on the Tj's thread there was mention of Tj's Poblano Ravioli

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155097-trader-joes-products-2017–/?page=18

@Smithy started the ravioli Rolling , 

20190218_093442.thumb.jpg.1ed6b39833cca06a36269079027eea23.jpg.d0838cfc0390d95a7245ceb4db31edd2.jpg

I hope its OK to use this pic from @Smithy

I finally got to my pack   I like ravioli in a broth of sorts :

Mise

676597126_Rav1.thumb.jpg.379336e158460c7ea839da90260f50fb.jpg

Mise II :

Rav2.thumb.jpg.4eac34f8f21afaf756005d35266e3a15.jpg

I finely dice my Parmeswan-ish these days.  that's an egg to add at the end of cooking and a 1/4 Fz ' brick ' of 4X stock , mostly turkey  mentioned in the iPot thread

the resultant dish :

Rav3.thumb.jpg.c5b9a2eb526bf0067dee334cf825fd7a.jpg

the dish itself was outstanding :  cook the ravioli in the stock , in this case w the addition of some water as the 4X stock is powerful  it had no seasoning added to it.

however , as @Smithy noted in the TJ's thread

the pasta itself is not overwhelmingly tasty in any distinctive way.   there is not a lot of filling , and what flavors there are, are muted.   the pasta , as pasta was very nice

the stock made this dish, as did the little biites of parmesan-ish   you can't see them but you note them as you gobble this down.

so this as stock and flat pasta , with some add-ins , ended up very tasty.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• So.... was going to try out a recipe that was an arctic char en papillote with a sauce of capers, shallot, olive oil, sherry vinegar and capers and asparagus.   Only problem was that the local Shoprite was out of char.  Bought a piece of salmon and made it for John ( as many times as I have tried salmon including fresh in Washington state I just can't stand the taste - I do like char, though).  Made the recipe and served with wild and brown rice that had some scallions mixed in.
  • I had half a pear and some Ewe's blue cheese.
  • Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

17 minutes ago, suzilightning said:
  • So.... was going to try out a recipe that was an arctic char en papillote with a sauce of capers, shallot, olive oil, sherry vinegar and capers and asparagus.   Only problem was that the local Shoprite was out of char.  Bought a piece of salmon and made it for John ( as many times as I have tried salmon including fresh in Washington state I just can't stand the taste - I do like char, though).  Made the recipe and served with wild and brown rice that had some scallions mixed in.
  • I had half a pear and some Ewe's blue cheese.

And here I thought I was the only one who doesn't like salmon.  Oddly enough, it is only fresh salmon I don't like, although i like it as lox or as smoked salmon.  Canned is also fine, but only as a salmon salad sandwich.  I have never had arctic char, mainly because it looks like salmon.  What does it taste like?

Bought some burrata cheese the other day.  Cut up some campari tomatoes and drizzled with balsamic ...not too bad.  Would be much better with garden tomatoes.  And, it was pizza night.  Canadian bacon.

IMG_5929.JPG.f032fb2f1f4590bba89a57c07f2003d4.JPG

IMG_5930.JPG.903f98b358d9e7489b95ed9d1cfe98da.JPG

IMG_5931.jpg.0dfcc30ff0eb981ab3d3e716bad9082a.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3