• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

9F1863A9-0123-465B-95CB-9BC6F623D3F3.thumb.jpeg.97a1145da4c405c8c67d761987384da5.jpeg

When you are an adult you give up childish things and allow yourself to have dessert straight out of the nursery and call it dinner. Leftover rice rice pudding.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Had a big debate on whether to be healthy and roast the chicken last night.  Healthy didn't win.

IMG_5908.jpg.2c808212b243bdb150a05a3389b198c1.jpg

IMG_5909.JPG.087c010fd77da0bd9c9ef98d9ef16869.JPG

I tried to be cool like @Anna N and cut our carrots into flower shapes.  Major fail.  Though some do resemble 4 leaf clovers......😂

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I tried to be cool like @Anna N and cut our carrots into flower shapes.  Major fail.  Though some do resemble 4 leaf clovers......😂

Don’t beat yourself up! I cheat. I have small vegetable cutters although I am getting better at using a channel knife (just the one on my lemon zester!).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner is early

snow issues early , 

concluded.

Cheese Toastie

for the Cheese Corse !

w some TJ's  

Unknown.jpeg.1d9363a490050de0ada333b59de83e60.jpeg

makes a fine cheese toastie

CT-E.thumb.jpg.2fefc7f41b19ef05e49dbb67bc456388.jpg

sorry I could not wait !

Im enjoying this while watching

Endeavor  S06 , episode 2

do not even think of watching Endeavor, unless its from the beginning !

they might go into a Pub , and drink warm beer 

:S

perhaps a dram of Whisky ?

I have that

or a Gn and fresh squeezed lime !

I have that too !

cheers

toastie Outstanding , BTW

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 10

Well well well ....

Drink Issue solved :

1573423772_DIT.jpg.0dc4bbd7d80538adeb0a8f12d58fb699.jpg

DI Thursday , above , for review purposes only

decides to have a Whisky  :

2137014809_TWisky.thumb.jpg.79069fe39b36e267e0e7e9d38ac87f47.jpg

so Im having a small Lagavulin , w some cold water

to follow along.

best way to do it Id say

nice after a Full Flavored Toastie !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/17/2019 at 3:39 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I confess the rosemary is out of a jar.  Last spring as I was moving my rosemary plant outside I dropped the pot and broke it.  On the dinning room rug.

But there is a lot of garlic.

I am very sad about the demise of your rosemary plant. I surely hope you start another one. You are one of my inspirations for single people keeping up their passion for cooking, eating and PRODUCING ingredients. It's important. 

It's hard, I know, and I have just about quit posting here because, frankly, most of my meals are OK, but just about survival. I am so inspired by you single guys and gals that still strive to produce enviable meals with a lot of creativity.

It has always seemed so much more interesting to me to produce a meal that takes a lot of work that pleases me, but also pleases at least one other person. The pleasure seems to geometrically increase for me, so the effort is more justified. 

I've always found you an inspiration, and I hope that my cooking mojo may one day come back.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I am very sad about the demise of your rosemary plant. I surely hope you start another one. You are one of my inspirations for single people keeping up their passion for cooking, eating and PRODUCING ingredients. It's important. 

It's hard, I know, and I have just about quit posting here because, frankly, most of my meals are OK, but just about survival. I am so inspired by you single guys and gals that still strive to produce enviable meals with a lot of creativity.

It has always seemed so much more interesting to me to produce a meal that takes a lot of work that pleases me, but also pleases at least one other person. The pleasure seems to geometrically increase for me, so the effort is more justified. 

I've always found you an inspiration, and I hope that my cooking mojo may one day come back.

Thank you sincerely.  I am almost embarrassed.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thank you sincerely.  I am almost embarrassed.

Please don't be. There are many, many more single peeps who inspire me around here.

I am still very sad that @huiray, who ran off in a huff and never participated here again has not come back after starting a thread about cooking for one person. I liked him. He was prickly, but he contributed a lot, and I miss him, A LOT. Please come back and talk here, please?

There are many more inspirational peeps for cooking for only yourself. I would bring up @blue_dolphin, who consistently cooks only for herself in a manner that inspires all the rest of the members.

You are not alone, and I'm not gonna stalk you or anything, I'm just giving you credit where credit is due.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

Last night in Austin, so BBQ was a must (I know my hubby was gonna be disappointed if he didn’t get some brisket).

I had turkey with mac&cheese and peach cobbler, he had brisket, chopped beef, chicken and jalapeno cornbread casserole, texas toast, fries not pictured.

705291D2-BE9D-484D-B50B-10183921809F.jpeg

9BC6B5A2-08A3-4B4A-B7FA-FE1E32E67DDC.jpeg

• Like 20

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Actually, @Thanks for the Crepes, I find you pretty inspirational myself. 😀

Thank you for saying that.

I am sorry, but you would not have found last night's dinner inspirational.It was only leftover chuck steak seared on a skillet rare, (which leaves it very tough, but rare). 

I sliced this leftover steak as thin as I could across the grain while it was cold from the fridge. I knew it was tough from the skillet where I tried to eat a little the first time; 

I will not go into details, but I barely made it through. It was nutrition. Vitamin B-12. Protein.

I have another fairly thin chuck steak. About .61 lbs. I am gonna braise this one. Maybe I can eat it with more thoughts of joy and less thoughts of let's choke this down so we can get some protein and Vitamin B12.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Some meals the last couple of days:

Beef Short Ribs Stew and Black Olive Kalamata fougasse  bread per grandson's request

65864593_BeefShortRibsStew.jpg.41b44f4d657a3f686d2874197074c2f0.jpg     

Sous vide chicken breasts with African Spices (commercial blend) 

116782445_SousVideTownshipChicken8443.jpg.6837fcae5e7621278a2f72f2771f13c6.jpg 

Steak and Kidney Pie         

896308369_SKPieProfile8457.jpg.ea73e6b5133a99d8a2b0bc4d5d8fec9b.jpg

Made Fish Maw Seafood soup per daughter's request a couple of days ago - with crab. We each had a small bowl and sent the rest of the pot to our daughter in the city. The rest of the supper was just stir-fried baby gai lan, and Chinese sausages cooked with the rice.

586687333_FishMawSeafoodSoup8436.jpg.6a560065a928f2ab5e83bf8f4ca73e82.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Yellow rice and chicken with salad 

Can you say something more about the yellow rice? @Kerry Beal enjoyed some yellow rice in a restaurant who’s name I have forgotten.  She thoroughly enjoyed it but neither one of us can remember or ever knew how it was made. Thank you.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Can you say something more about the yellow rice? @Kerry Beal enjoyed some yellow rice in a restaurant who’s name I have forgotten.  She thoroughly enjoyed it but neither one of us can remember or ever knew how it was made. Thank you.

One of those quick dinners after a late day at the office

Started with a package of Vigo brand yellow rice.   More often I may use their spice mix and use my own rice but couldn’t find it at the store I was in.  Sautéed, onions, garlic, green and red peppers in olive oil before adding the seasoned rice mixture.  Added sliced raw chicken to the simmering rice at the onset and called it a day.  

• Like 2