• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

4 hours ago, TdeV said:

@dcarch, you are incredibly charming. Please say more about sous vide fish. 😀

Thank you!

I like skate a lot. It is a mild tasting fish. I think the texture feels like crab meat. 

It is important to prepare skate properly. The skin needs to be removed, or it will taste like someone did a #1 on it.

Sous vide is a good way to cook fish to avoid over cooking. This one was SV at 135F for 40 minutes.

dcarch

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

It's cold and snowy and wonderful outside :)

That called for lasagna

IMG_5901.JPG.4a3f47886a476b1e8cea4b2914f37f25.JPG

IMG_5902.jpg.a9b3fb4b605704a43c43304bc47c445f.jpg

You got your snow?!!?  pictures please.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

Thank you!

I like skate a lot. It is a mild tasting fish. 

Just don't try to pass it off as a scallop......just saying.

• Haha 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 hours ago, Vanillalover1 said:

There's nothing wrong with a little bit of consistency. Is what I always say. 

Yes, I love Chicken Cacciatore too. I prefer mine with mushrooms, onions, garlic, (PLEASE AVERT YOUR EYES @rotutsand other haters) but green bell pepper added toward the end of cooking for crisp tender, plus tomatoes with oregano and basil served over spaghetti. I have to say that @JoNorvelleWalker's version always looks fabulous too with the fresh rosemary.

It's Hunter's Chicken. You make it with what you want and can scrounge up. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Confused 1

> ^ . . ^ <

17 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Yes, I love Chicken Cacciatore too. I prefer mine with mushrooms, onions, garlic, (PLEASE AVERT YOUR EYES @rotutsand other haters) but green bell pepper added toward the end of cooking for crisp tender, plus tomatoes with oregano and basil served over spaghetti. I have to say that @JoNorvelleWalker's version always looks fabulous too with the fresh rosemary.

Can you tell how to make them? That sounds delicious!

4 minutes ago, Vanillalover1 said:

Can you tell how to make them? That sounds delicious!

Here is the recipe Betty Crocker published on the web for Classic Chicken Cacciatore. It is much the same as my old battered cookbook from the 1970's.

Just a word of caution. I once gave this recipe to an ex-boyfriend who loved this dish when I made it for him. He called me back to say it sucked, and where had it gone wrong? He detailed what he did, and he'd skipped flouring the chicken pieces before frying. You can't do that! The browned, caramelized flour thickens the tomato sauce into something that makes me want to make it right now! It makes a gravy of sorts with the chicken fat, vegatable juices and tomatoes that is so, so good over pasta.

I make this amendment to the recipe in that I only add the green bell peppers in sliced rings toward the end of cooking to steam on top so they come out crisp tender because I can and that's the way I like it.

I'm adding the ingredients for this dish to my grocery order.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

16 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Here is the recipe Betty Crocker published on the web for Classic Chicken Cacciatore. It is much the same as my old battered cookbook from the 1970's.

Just a word of caution. I once gave this recipe to an ex-boyfriend who loved this dish when I made it for him. He called me back to say it sucked, and where had it gone wrong? He detailed what he did, and he'd skipped flouring the chicken pieces before frying. You can't do that! The browned, caramelized flour thickens the tomato sauce into something that makes me want to make it right now! It makes a gravy of sorts with the chicken fat, vegatable juices and tomatoes that is so, so good over pasta.

I make this amendment to the recipe in that I only add the green bell peppers in sliced rings toward the end of cooking to steam on top so they come out crisp tender because I can and that's the way I like it.

I'm adding the ingredients for this dish to my grocery order.

Thanks for the recipe! that story about your ex is kinda hilarious, it gave me a chuckle.

I'm planning an Italian themed dinner party next month, so far I already have an idea on what I should serve and I just added this Chicken Cacciatore to the menu, but for desserts.....I only know how to make Tiramisu and that's it. got any suggestions on Italian desserts?

Tiramisu is my favorite Italian dessert, and I even found lady fingers at, of all places, a Mediterranean grocer recently, but not the mascarpone. I can even get cannolis here filled to order, but don't enjoy them as much as a well made tiramisu.

@Franciis a member and an Italian national lady who might be able to enlighten you on more unknown to my American culture desserts. She is the queen of Italian desserts on this site. She produced and sold them in NYC, but has since moved to Miami, or somewhere in Florida, I believe.

Still gotta say my vote is for well made tiramisu. This, of course, requires liquor and my preference is for Tia Maria.

> ^ . . ^ <

Tiramisu is my favorite Italian dessert, and I even found lady fingers at, of all places, a Mediterranean grocer recently, but not the mascarpone. I can even get cannolis here filled to order, but don't enjoy them as much as a well made tiramisu.

@Franciis a member and an Italian national lady who might be able to enlighten you on more unknown to my American culture desserts. She is the queen of Italian desserts on this site. She produced and sold them in NYC, but has since moved to Miami, or somewhere in Florida, I believe.

Still gotta say my vote is for well made tiramisu. This, of course, requires liquor and my preference is for Tia Maria.

Ooooh... a fine choice in liquor but I'm afraid that if I serve that to the guests with tiramisu, the coffee flavor might overwhelm them.....or not, might try that out for myself first.

but thanks for the suggestions. honestly I forgot all about the cannolis, my cousin made those last christmas and I forgot to ask her how to make those..damn....but thank god for the internet I could contact her online and maybe I'll message this @Franci and ask about Italian dishes.

Edited by Vanillalover1 (log)

1 hour ago, Vanillalover1 said:

Thanks for the recipe! that story about your ex is kinda hilarious, it gave me a chuckle.

I'm planning an Italian themed dinner party next month, so far I already have an idea on what I should serve and I just added this Chicken Cacciatore to the menu, but for desserts.....I only know how to make Tiramisu and that's it. got any suggestions on Italian desserts?

If you make the tiramisu please use the hard Italian NOT the soft ladyfingers. We mixed Kahula with espresso for the soaking liquid. I worked at a bakery where the owner was of Polish and Italian heritage and we made tiramisu, panna cotta and cassata siciliana.  I had made the last with my friend's mom, Connie, years ago but you do need time to produce it.

• Like 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

BC6C3456-A41A-4DF7-A9B2-26A1796E3ADA.thumb.jpeg.d73a618ff25cc4d1d34e8c9c761c9ab9.jpeg

Jibuni (simmered or smothered duck).   This is a speciality of the Kanazawa region of Japan. There were a number of substitutions I needed to make but I did not feel too badly.  I discovered a YouTube video showing the chef in the World Gourmet Summit of 2011 using beef instead of duck!  

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

If you make the tiramisu please use the hard Italian NOT the soft ladyfingers. We mixed Kahula with espresso for the soaking liquid. I worked at a bakery where the owner was of Polish and Italian heritage and we made tiramisu, panna cotta and cassata siciliana.  I had made the last with my friend's mom, Connie, years ago but you do need time to produce it.

I like the less well known Tia Maria coffee liquor because 1. It is overly sweet, but not so much as Kahlua, and 2. It was also quite a bit less expensive last time I bought it, which was over a decade ago.

I think @Vanillalover1 may not understand that the liquor goes into the dessert dish instead of being drunk along with it. 

But yes, all liquors are way, way overly sweet, so need to be diluted and a good way to do that in tiramisu is with unsweetened espresso. Some use Marsala in tiramisu. It is surely not my preference. Overall I would say that @suzilightningis absolutely correct in that you need to use dry ladyfingers or dried out and toasted spongecake fingers because you will be asking them to absorb the coffee and liquor. 

It's important to balance the sweetness in any dish, including desserts, so make sure you go into making tiramisu with the knowledge that any liquor you use is going to be extremely sweet. It is, however, critical to making a tiramisu I like. Not sayin' it is authentic or Italian at all, but just that that is the way I like it.

> ^ . . ^ <

16 hours ago, suzilightning said:

thanks for the heads up, this is quite the eye opener. I never really pay attention to what type of ladyfingers I use but I'll be sure to use the hard italian one.☺️

I like the less well known Tia Maria coffee liquor because 1. It is overly sweet, but not so much as Kahlua, and 2. It was also quite a bit less expensive last time I bought it, which was over a decade ago.

I think @Vanillalover1 may not understand that the liquor goes into the dessert dish instead of being drunk along with it. 

oh sorry about that. a little bit of misunderstanding. I always use kahula to mix with the espresso and when you mention Tia Maria, I thought "what a minute, what would I  use that for?" and Immediately thought maybe it's for the drinks?

but oh well, at least I have a new recipe to try. 

10 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I confess the rosemary is out of a jar.  Last spring as I was moving my rosemary plant outside I dropped the pot and broke it.  On the dinning room rug.

But there is a lot of garlic.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:58 PM, dcarch said:

Cheapskate Valentine's Day  dish :x

Skate was on sale. 

SV skate and shrimps

dcarch

1287775687_Valentineskate2.thumb.jpg.527e1eea8b2ee82c3702741bb551baf2.jpg448196341_Valentineskate.thumb.JPG.a364e7625f711432c5cd4d1d8a42f7c5.JPG

watching Beat Bobby Flay and the first round was skate......thought of you.

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites