• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

How do you make your pizza dough Jo ? It looks delicious and edible.

Thank you.  I confess it is not pizza dough.  It was the same batch of dough as this:

Bread02112019.png

Typically I bake bread once a week.  I mix a kg of dough in my KitchenAid.  Right after mixing I bag up about 180-200g of dough to retard a day or two for pizza.  This works great as long as I don't go beyond two days.  Much longer and the dough resembles silly putty and half the pie ends up on the oven floor.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Got home later than hoped.  Rooting around in the freezer for something Valentine’s Day like.  Just had scallops a few days ago.  Bride doesn’t like shrimp.   Big hunks of frozen meat, raw chicken....ah, SV chicken confit.   Should fit the bill with roasted potatoes.  Farm house chic

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

35 minutes ago, weedy said:

Valentine’s Day

Sous Vide Wagyu strip steak and butter poached lobster tail. 

Saffron beurre blanc in the lobster. 

Potatoes dauphinois. 

Caesar salad. 

Champagne. 

57B3ABD1-E9FB-4E96-A40A-155208B566AC.jpeg

871B4DEF-4390-42B1-A91B-8FA9EC6ECF3D.jpeg

Nice!  I had a Costco hot dog.  By myself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

My back is out.  Dinner had to change horses in midstream.  It was supposed to have been dry fried green beans.  I soon realized, whatever else, I could not be standing at the stove.  What finally transpired was baked potato, grilled rib lamb chops, and broccolini.  Not a bad option, considering.  Even so I couldn't lift the pot of water for the broccolini and had to pour some out.

Dessert is a bottle of Rioja with chocolate from an elegant heart shaped mold that Kerry sent.  Ibuprofen only does so much.

What comes to mind is the last time I tried to make paella for company.  I have an impractically large paella pan, not the nice new little one from Darto.  I started off with about $100 of seafood and saffron.  My guests were a woman in whom I had a romantic interest and her older son.  Before they arrived I threw out my back and had to take to bed.  My friend and my younger son were left to carry on the cooking.  She remarked "This is just like cooking with my mother!"

Dar Williams has a song lyric:  "Whoever thought of love is no friend of mine."

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

@liamsaunt  WOW!!!  your photo of the salmon sandwich is spectacular. 

Dinner for my Valentine.

1674291915_ChickenBreastPerigordValentinesDayDinner2.thumb.jpg.5ffd9cccf7f27f724d85de4d51e8cf87.jpg

I made Moe one of his favourite dinners. Chicken Breast Perigord.

This recipe comes from Lucy Waverman a Canadian Toronto-based food journalist, editor, columnist, food consultant and cookbook author.

I've been making this dish for Moe for 30 years.

228854069_ChickenBreastPerigordValentinesDayDinner3.thumb.jpg.16528cd1669ff0b32c828b8dee912f68.jpg

A mushroom Duxelles is stuffed under the skin of boneless chicken breasts. I adjust the wine sauce slightly turning it into a green peppercorn sauce.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Our Valentine's dinner included a couple of experiments.  I did a sous vide steak for the first time and also King crab legs:

DSCN9220.JPG.c0789a3c4d886a57734ec2965acc5393.JPG

The steak was perfectly cooked:

DSCN9221.JPG.8519fc9b5667491f23443c8b83809bef.JPG

Texture, temperature and doneness better than any steak I've ever cooked before.  Neither of us had ever had the crab legs before and they were delicious.  We are not big fans of snow crab legs (mainly vehicles for melted butter) and thought these might be the same only bigger.  They were not that at all.  Full of flavor!  I used ghee instead of clarifying butter and the flavor of the crab really came through.  The crab legs were cooked by Alton Brown’s microwave method.  You wrap the legs in damp paper towels and then in plastic wrap and cook on full power for 2 minutes.  You can add herbs (though I didn’t). 

We also had a green salad, Brussels sprouts roasted in bacon grease with bacon and goat cheese and a baguette with some leftover olive oil/zaatar/sesame seed dipping sauce from our favorite Lebanese restaurant:

DSCN9218.JPG.c903ac3d6c7e1b699370b8bfb9f6ffad.JPG

DSCN9219.JPG.40b28a80cde8cfeb90426b8285591ebc.JPG

DSCN9217.JPG.3cb3815d31a8a9e831fa3213b3e55047.JPG

Dessert was some lovely little pastries/sweets and a chocolate strawberry from Wegman’s:

DSCN9222.JPG.fb758306ac739a0e813e05f9c932065f.JPG

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

WoW !

what is that gnarley

chocolate deliciousness on the lower R

there is a Wegman's near me

I did note that their pastry area needs more consideration from me.

It is a chocolate dipped strawberry with tiny little chocolate curls!  It was good, but the piece at 12o'clock was outstanding!

i have noticed

at my local Weg's

[ two stories !   shopping cart elevator ! ]

that they have a good selection of higher end stuff.

including their pastry baking and possibly their bread

Ill have to go back there and take another look

they are allergic to coupons and what all.

but  ....

Ill look.

thaks for pointing it out to me

• Like 2

Dry-Fried Green Beans from Hsiao-Ching Chou's Chinese Soul Food (pp 146,147)...

Dinner02162019.png

This is a favorite, I have made it before.  The recipe is a bit disingenuous.  She says it serves four.  It serves one, with a go of rice and much Soave.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

Dinner in Austin, TX last night after a 10 mile bike ride...La Alma restaurant. It was very good, modern Mexican. We started with a tuna ceviche tostada (photo), I had duck enmoladas (enchiladas) which were coverd in pasilla mole and hubs had shrimp and crab chile relleno. We were seated on the rooftop, it was very cool to see the skyline in the distance.

36158A61-A350-482A-8BC5-B48CDB34D4E2.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I'm so jealous of those of you that have a Wegmans. Loved Wegmans when I lived in Dunkirk, NY for a couple of years. 

I had a triangle route that I would take.  I was in between Erie PA and Buffalo and I also had the option of Jamestown.  Depending on how

I felt, I would go to at least one or two of these each week. 

We extended our Valentines dinner over two nights.

984529500_ShrimpTapaFebruary15th20191.thumb.jpg.5e228cf1c6903d74b924d10e7f875b87.jpg

Had planned on Garlic Shrimp Tapas for an appetizer but knew that if we had that we wouldn't eat dinner.   So we had the appetizer as a main course last night

followed by dessert. 

426139604_DecadentBrowniesFebruary15th2019.thumb.jpg.8c335f336da8076243a48ae99bb719fb.jpg

Baked my decadent brownies and 

343760512_BrownieSundaesFebruary15th2019.thumb.jpg.97a81936f260d21c5527176db79c85de.jpg

made Sundaes for dessert.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Last year I was planning on entering a contest for cooking with Naan Bread, but the contest never got off the ground so I've had this recipe in waiting-Spicy Mediterreanean Lamb Naan with Cucumber Raita-

IMG_0878.JPG

The ground lamb is sauteed in olive oil with red onion and garlic, then the spices go in-cumin, Greek seasoning, chile flakes, dried oregano, lemon juice, and a dash of Worcesterchire.  The drizzle on top is mayonnaise mixed with lemon juice, mint and basil.  I change the raita each time I make it, but this time it was diced cucumber with Greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, mint, basil and salt and pepper.  Sometimes I add red onion to the raita, other times cilantro.  The Naan bread comes, from all places, Walmart.  They offer it in two sizes and either plain or garlic and it's delicious.  I heat it up to bring out the flavors and then run it under the broiler to add to the char.  

IMG_0871.JPG

• Like 15
  • Delicious 4

On 2/15/2019 at 7:12 AM, Ann_T said:

@liamsaunt  WOW!!!  your photo of the salmon sandwich is spectacular. 

Dinner for my Valentine.

1674291915_ChickenBreastPerigordValentinesDayDinner2.thumb.jpg.5ffd9cccf7f27f724d85de4d51e8cf87.jpg

I made Moe one of his favourite dinners. Chicken Breast Perigord.

This recipe comes from Lucy Waverman a Canadian Toronto-based food journalist, editor, columnist, food consultant and cookbook author.

I've been making this dish for Moe for 30 years.

228854069_ChickenBreastPerigordValentinesDayDinner3.thumb.jpg.16528cd1669ff0b32c828b8dee912f68.jpg

A mushroom Duxelles is stuffed under the skin of boneless chicken breasts. I adjust the wine sauce slightly turning it into a green peppercorn sauce.

Lucy Waverman is a phenomenal chef.  A Matter of Taste cookbook is one of my favourites.  So much wine pairing info and fantastic recipes.

• Like 1

Last night's dinner- tofu marinated in soy sauce, rice wine, and lemon juice, coated with panko, coriander, mint, lemon peel, and horseradish, over noodles, with rapini on the side

52165081_2101383723262809_2899671410966265856_n.jpg

• Like 9