• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

@kayb, what's involved with potato skins? Have you hollowed out a raw potato? How long do you cook it for?

FWIW, I don't find ground beef nearly as interesting as it was in my younger days. 😑

Edited by TdeV
Correcting punctuation (log)

1 minute ago, TdeV said:

@kayb, what's involved with potato skins? Have you hollowed out a raw potato? How long do you cook it for?

FWIW, I don't find ground beef nearly as interesting as it was in my younger days. 😑

I bake small potatoes in the microwave until they're soft (about 10 minutes in mine); scoop them out, leaving about 1/2 inch of flesh. (These are about an inch and a half crossways in diameter.) I brush the halves with bacon fat or butter and sprinkle with salt, then broil for two or three minutes. Add grated cheese (and that's all in this case) and run them back under the broiler for another two or three minutes.

I also may use bacon, chopped ham,  sauteed mushrooms, chili, chopped scallions, or whatever I have handy to add to the topping. 

They're best with some sour cream on the side to dip them as you munch.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My work day turned into a snow day. So I fed my starter again and used the discard to make another batch of sourdough.

And I had a small 500g batch of sourdough that I had made yesterday with the intention of making pizza on Saturday, so I decided to make them tonight instead. Had to use what I had on hand because I wasn't going out.
1254729009_TomatopepperandolivepizzaFebruary8th2019.thumb.jpg.215007a1ddbbb63620165038c3f52883.jpg
So Matt's pizza was
725818876_TomatopepperandolivepizzaFebruary8th20192.thumb.jpg.2e329ced8e6d9f666570086c36b0f367.jpg
topped with tomatoes, olives and green peppers.
711317634_SausageandOlivePizzaFebruary8th2019.thumb.jpg.ca6fee1264f2dc0e0b28d464ec4d5cd1.jpg

And ours was

1267983277_SausageandOlivePizzaFebruary8th20191.thumb.jpg.da894a61deb216df5b8b85468059257f.jpg
Italian Sausage and olives.
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 4

Sous vide the 5.5 lb sirloin tip roast!

Seasoned with Montreal Steak Spice and sprigs of fresh rosemary. Vacuum sealed and set into 134F bath for 27 hours - last night at 5 pm to tonight at 8 pm. Seared the roast then sliced at various thicknesses.
It was cooked to medium -  just the way we like beef. Was it tender? It was good with the thin slices.  Beyond 1/4" thick, more of a chew but still pretty good. I sliced enough for our supper, re-sealed the rest, and put it back into the bath, for maybe another 3 hours.
It's not a cut I would buy often. I think maybe if I needed a lot of shaved beef for sandwiches for a crowd?

Eaten with mashed cauliflower, peas and carrot mix, and mushroom gravy.

Good supper at - 39C / WC -50C tonight!

1308606983_Sousvidesirlointiproast8417.jpg.9d9c26ef5014d81bebc9f27b6b30377f.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

This was how my husband was raised.  I was raised exactly the opposite.  If I didn't like something, I never saw it again.  Consequently, I have tons of things I hate - many, many vegetables, anything with an odd texture, most organ meats, etc.  When our daughter came along, we decided to go in between those extremes.  If she didn't like something, she didn't have to eat it, but I didn't get up and do something else.  I only served ONE new thing per meal.  If we had the hated item the next night for leftovers, she didn't have to try it again.  But if I made it again a few weeks later, she had to give it another try.  The rule was she had to try everything, but didn't have to eat anything.  As a result, in my opinion, she's an adult who eats a large variety of foods and is open to trying anything. 

My mother was exactly the same.  Had to try everything but didn't have to eat it if I didn't like it.  That is, everything except artichoke hearts.  As a kid, I loved artichokes, but the hearts didn't sound good to me.  When I said I didn't want to eat them, she didn't make me try them, just said, "Pass them to me."  To think of all the years of goodness I missed...  sigh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Braised chicken legs with chestnuts. black soy sauce, chicken stock sauce, ginger, scallion, sugar. Served with curly endive stir-fried with garlic. Rice.

Loosely (very) adapted from a Fuchsia Dunlop recipe in Sichuan Cookery (aka Land of Plenty)

chch2.thumb.jpg.d68427bff8f81b69df57ac27fb40379a.jpg

chch1.thumb.jpg.d4fe2d4db09431b003ab6535b27327b3.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Shake N Bake pork chops, done in the BSOA on airfry mode, tater tots done with them and snap peas.

shakenbake3.jpg.13cf5f9862437ec588847ff480e677de.jpg

I too have the BSOA but find that when I use the air fry for say, frozen sweet potato fries, the ends often come out almost burnt.  I have noticed in your posts that it doedn't seem to happen to you.  What temperatures do you mostly use for what?

Just now, ElsieD said:

I too have the BSOA but find that when I use the air fry for say, frozen sweet potato fries, the ends often come out almost burnt.  I have noticed in your posts that it doedn't seem to happen to you.  What temperatures do you mostly use for what?

The above was done at 400F for 15 minutes.  I'll usually use somewhere between 400F and 450F depending on what it is and how crispy I want it (and sometimes my mood).  I don't think I have ever done sweet potato fries.  I have done frozen shoestrings and I usually do those at 400F or 425F.  Can't recall if then ends were kinda burnt.  

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Last dinner in Morocco. Partner loves fish but scoffs at shellfish. I am partial to shellfish and got myself 2 plates.

iQraGtN.jpg

wxBO9mQ.jpg

E3DKhqf.jpg

92hEfVS.jpg

My dinners at home. Marrowfat peas (dried) with smoked sausage.

g7I6HHp.jpg

The 2 meals I like more than anything involves dipping and sitting round a fire.

qVxnXTP.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Rack of lamb, cabbage rolls and baby eggplants stuffed with a curry spice mix.  The sauce was pomegranate juice, reduced balsamic vinegar pomegranate molasses and honey.  The sauce  RUINED the lamb...all we could taste was this forking tart sauce.  From Persiana cookbook.  This recipe has been black listed.  Too bad because there are so many good recipes in this book.

DSC02906.thumb.jpg.169a39a1b8c8fefc3e087143b5d9ec76.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

21 hours ago, TdeV said:

@gfweb, another Brussels sprouts hater here. How did you cook and season them? (My hubbage is hoping I change my mind about them).

Halved sprouts face down in a well oiled pan. Cook on high till browned well.

Pour in 1:1 water- maple syrup to cover the bottom 5mm...cooked covered for 5 min or so ...lift cover add a couple tbsp butter and mix in..boil down till it's syrupy and coating the sprouts..give it a good salting and serve 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Steelhead Trout coated with mayo and Panko, turnip and carrot fries, plus sauteed rapini. Hubby didn't care for the rapini, so I got them all! 😋

1256561310_TroutandRapini8422.jpg.48b2654e6026b916e2a67040ab90c392.jpg                                                          

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@chefmd – I don’t even like cooked carrots, but I’d try those caramelized beauties!

A few recent dinners - fixed up Manwich, tots and slaw:

DSCN9112.JPG.d74f6a95fd98bf1acce47b227b2aec46.JPG

Last night - olives and stuff:

DSCN9201.JPG.58e074a2e13456ecff3a1bcc41060bcb.JPG

Salad:

DSCN9202.JPG.0000fb1c2eba6a82214d73e17999f1d4.JPG

Shrimp burger and baked potato:

DSCN9203.JPG.191afc93f7450f1c7d01d9f2e8ea8f76.JPG

Tonight was BBQ night – the good stuff.  I was in Charleston SC for a family gathering to celebrate my dad and his twin brother’s 80th birthdays.  While there, I stopped Rodney Scott BBQ and got some stuff to bring back.  He’s a James Beard award winning Pitmaster and one of Mr. Kim’s heroes.  So, dinner tonight was pulled pork, slaw and baked beans all from Scott’s BBQ.  The sweet potatoes were from Alamo in Richmond (a local favorite BBQ spot):

DSCN9204.JPG.429d5d70214fb7cff1158d8c26e542ac.JPG

No idea who did this, but it has to be someone from eG – I received a package in the mail from the “Spam Fairy” (???????):

DSCN9113.thumb.JPG.effe1d1413bf07faac00297534c2606f.JPG

😄😄😄What should I do with it?  I’ve never tasted Spam in my life, so I’m thinking just fry it up and serve it along side my fried eggs!

• Like 13
  • Haha 3

Big lunch. Another hot pot. No pictures. The usual.

So, smallish dinner.

After a slight mishap, made some quail scotch eggs. With a simple salad. Two pictured, but ate five. Three in fridge for breakfast.

se1.thumb.jpg.af211416592a5f193823659d86ba2213.jpg

se2.thumb.jpg.5dedf04fe6a4bbbc56c85487a92dfe25.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 22

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto