• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Salmon day before yesterday

thumbnail_IMG_5877.jpg.44d67b635a2bcdbdb0f02196fe06de2d.jpg

And, since the weather has been nice and cold--we've had freezing fog for two days, made everything SO pretty.  Then last night we had thunder ice.  Pellets.  Not good for driving though.  We are staying all cozy and tucked in the house today.  Anyway last night was ham and beans using Rancho Gordo mogettede vendie beans with some Father's bacon ends added (along with regular ham) and cheesy toasts.

thumbnail_IMG_5878.jpg.624ed01697b3cb494de90babfdded7a1.jpgthumbnail_IMG_5880.jpg.a6730aad8517538cd3a7cc826697f734.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5879.jpg.92b2222d7ce3c174abed9b795abe3c15.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 20

89BA564D-A35B-414C-83D0-823C1D4F9333.thumb.jpeg.8e2131246925ee87075ad3dfca535fa6.jpeg

Last evening.  Pork tonkatsu. 

• Like 19
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Made Beef Wellington again, the third time since Xmas. Made 2 , and took one over to the wonderful neighbors who clears our driveway with the snowblower when he does theirs! This will insure all future clearings. 😊

The neighbors' - delivered!    1349243389_BeefWellington8408.jpg.ed93d090ca582b83814b5e85533dc28c.jpg

A slice of ours with Green Peppercorn gravy

1161570333_BeefWellington8410.jpg.95360cf746f0cbb6fbec1c80e16935c4.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

25 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

No idea. Maybe I worded wrong? Following the serious eats guide to temperature out of oven and final post sear temp 🤷‍♀️

Seriously* I thought reverse sear was when you seared prior to cooking.  I could be wrong.

*for once pun unintended

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Have been at a conference all week and have eaten nothing exceptional, other than skipping out one evening to have a wonderful pimiento cheeseburger at the Capitol Bar and Grill across the street from my hotel. It's now colder than the proverbial well-digger's posterior, so I think it'll be either soup or a big pot of white  beans tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Chicken cacciatore:

Dinner02082019.png

Not sure why it looks out of focus but it may just be me.

My favourite parts of a chicken!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Supper tonight was a pot of vegetable soup made with pork neck bones, big chunks of bok choy stalk, carrots, celery, and slices of ginger.

This was followed up with Deep-fried tofu puffs stuffed with ground pork, shrimp, and waterchestnut, the extra filling from our siu mai lunch a couple of days ago.

The stuffed puffs were fried to form a crust, then braised with some of the soup stock and oyster sauce.  Topped with Old Mother chili oil and eaten with Jasmine rice (from the freezer)  and wilted Romaine lettuce.

1758463736_StuffedDeepDriedTofuPuffs8413.jpg.04ef85d8e14f113439bd00d61e36083d.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seriously* I thought reverse sear was when you seared prior to cooking.  I could be wrong.

*for once pun unintended

Reverse searing is when you sear after cooking, the “reverse” part referring to the fact that a lot of recipes call for searing the meat before cooking, usually with the intention to “seal in the juices”.  That has been proven false.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On 2/4/2019 at 12:58 PM, gfweb said:

Pork is cooked separately in the  SV machine (139 F x 3 hours) with a few sprigs of thyme.

The apples and onion were braised in apple juice that then was strained and put in the sauce.

Sauce is apple juice and chicken stock in equal parts....tsp or more dijon depending on volume...sauteed garlic....reduced about 50% till I like the taste...whisked in 2 tsp butter...salt and pepper and serve.

I apologize for the imprecision, but its one of those ones I've done for so long I just go by feel.

Do you remember what size the pork loin was?  I am definitely doing this - with the BS.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 3:59 PM, Okanagancook said:

I’ve tried something very similar but still not a go.  Sad really, but there you have it....Mommy cooked the heart of BS’s and in those days children weren’t excused from the table until all food was consumed....I have the same hate on for pears. 😕

This was how my husband was raised.  I was raised exactly the opposite.  If I didn't like something, I never saw it again.  Consequently, I have tons of things I hate - many, many vegetables, anything with an odd texture, most organ meats, etc.  When our daughter came along, we decided to go in between those extremes.  If she didn't like something, she didn't have to eat it, but I didn't get up and do something else.  I only served ONE new thing per meal.  If we had the hated item the next night for leftovers, she didn't have to try it again.  But if I made it again a few weeks later, she had to give it another try.  The rule was she had to try everything, but didn't have to eat anything.  As a result, in my opinion, she's an adult who eats a large variety of foods and is open to trying anything. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Do you remember what size the pork loin was?  I am definitely doing this - with the BS.

Hmmmm. Boy. Guessing ....5 lbs. Served 4 with seconds...about 10 inches long. 

• Thanks 1

Chilean sea bass with carrots.  Sea bass was cooked in CSO steam baked 325 for 30 minutes.  Carrots were slowly cooked in cast iron pan for 30 minutes as well.  Green salsa not shown.

D4D48BFC-6FFB-4586-B59D-7DE0FA3E1B1E.thumb.jpeg.608dfaef022773951b09dad337ecd0fc.jpeg

• Like 13