• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Chinese New Year's Day. Year of the Pig. Again.

So dinner contained no pig. It's the Year of the Pig, not the year of Eating the Pig, but millions probably contributed to dinner. Not in Castle liuzhou.

cny2.thumb.jpg.d77db2740675ac29d4eb209136653298.jpg

Bought myself a nice organic chicken and poached it. Served with chilli sauce, turmeric rice and wilted Shanghai bok choy.

Rest of the bird meat is in the fridge for tomorrow and the bits, bobs and bones are in the stock pot.

Happy New Year!

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Only the two of us for CNY dinner. Made Buddha's Delight, a favourite at anytime for me. Breaded up some large sea scallops, and pulled some Cantonese BBQ Duck from the freezer, added Jasmine rice and dinner was a go!

1322162252_CNYDinnerfortwo8397.jpg.c6f8c6c5d08e73f08d9d421f77445782.jpg

870251933_BuddhasDelight8399.jpg.7f0a956348290638d47fa36f7fc23527.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Not visually appealing perhaps, but this is packed with flavour.

xifan.thumb.jpg.7e75d7fb0c8e6f25a6617a26b2a67262.jpg

This is a form of congee or rice porridge known as 稀饭/稀飯  (Mandarin: xī fàn;  Cantonese: hei1 faan6), which literally translates as 'watery rice'. It is thinner in consistence than regular congee - (Mand: zhōu; Cant: zuk1)

This version has leeks, carrots and poached chicken lurking under the surface. The rice is cooked in a long cooked gelatinous chicken stock made from the carcase and trimmings (including feet and head) of the organic bird which I had for yesterday's dinner. Finished with dried chilli flakes.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.png.1c055eb20577373b1aebc5f6ec441de1.png image.png.2d253602dfebc5eeea22d9b1ffef6110.png image.png.ed83dbf6b98e2203cb6ca366818469bd.png

Illustrations L to R: finished serving, at start, when done.

This dish is way better than you can imagine! Called Chicken Mafé from Western Africa (Senegal). Because someone asked for the recipe, I have calculated what I did, and can present the following:

Ingredients
  • ~ 2.5 lbs chicken thighs (with bones)
  • ~ 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1 large onion, peeled and diced
  • 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 9 whole cloves garlic
  • 2 jalapeño peppers, diced
  • 2 1/2 - 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 1 28 oz can tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 6 oz can tomato paste
  • ~ 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup (dry) chickpeas, soaked overnight
  • 1/2 cup (dry) navy beans, soaked
  • 2-3 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2-3 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • pinch salt
  • rice, for serving

Method
  1. Sauté chicken thighs on skin side for 6-8 minutes (to encourage Maillard reaction), pour off most of fat
  2. Sauté onion
  3. Add other ingredients. Add back some of the fat
  4. Cook on very low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours
  5. Put a lump of rice at the bottom of a plate, top with stew.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Some time ago I made Asparagus Risotto in the Instantpot and it was just amazingly good.

Today while in town I picked up some nice asparagus and a package of Arborio rice and plan on making it again tomorrow.

I got some baby arugula to serve it with and some leeks to add to the rice.  I also got some Orange Cranberyy muffins, a breakfast guilty indulgence.

• Like 5

Pizza!

Pizza02072019.png

150 second pizza.  Bottom blackened but not burnt.  The one inch aluminum block was preheated to 550F about three hours before loading.  Basil was not snipped till the pie was resting on the rack.  This time the basil was older and more fragrant.  Possibly the finest pizza I have made.  No leftovers.

• Like 19
  • Delicious 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Reverse Sear Attempt #3 

Cauli Broc Mash, Green Beans & Steak to 46 CELCIUS then seared to 52 CELCIUS. 

Isn't that non-reverse sear?

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

150 second pizza. . . . Possibly the finest pizza I have made. 

What is your oven, @JoNorvelleWalker? Mine is a residential (gas) GE Profile which I heat to 550F for one hour. And the best I can do is between 6 - 8 minutes. I don't put the pizza on the highest rack, though, because I have a recollection that parts of the surface burn when it is that high.

Edited to add that I have a 1/2" ceramic pizza and baking stone.

Edited by TdeV
Forgot some data (log)

@JoNorvelleWalker,

My pizza dough is made (in the bread machine) with very little yeast and left to "mature" in the fridge for 3-7 days.

Not much of this pizza left to look at, it was really tasty!

image.thumb.jpeg.577f14358818ad0fc81f9e6d234f6dd7.jpeg

Made with alternating stripes of

• Smoked BBQ Pulled Pork with BBQ Sauce from Brinker Farms, Fulton, MO (with pork, chiles, paprika, powdered honey, etc.)
  • Peanut Butter
Sprinkled with shredded Fontina cheese
Baked 6 minutes at 550F
  • Like 9

23 minutes ago, TdeV said:

What is your oven, @JoNorvelleWalker? Mine is a residential (gas) GE Profile which I heat to 550F for one hour. And the best I can do is between 6 - 8 minutes. I don't put the pizza on the highest rack, though, because I have a recollection that parts of the surface burn when it is that high.

My oven is a residential GE electric oven.  I use the highest rack position, plus the aluminum adds another inch of height.  Also I turn the broiler on a couple minutes before loading the pie.

• Thanks 2